Opinion 2014 Draft Prospects / Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

I would draft Baulderstone in the National Draft because he looks like he could make it. He has football talent, is a big mature body and tested well at SA draft camp. I wouldn't bother with any other more mature aged ruck on the list ... someone like Brooksby is a good SANFL ruck but won't be a lead AFL ruck. If there's a good kid who slides because he's a ruck only maybe take him. Otherwise they're just a list clogger.

Rookie list is the place for a back up ruck. Even Derickx did a reasonable job at Sydney.

Although I am a huge fan of Johansen, If Caleb Daniel falls to one of our picks (Which I doubt, unless being small is really that bad) Then we need to take him and run.

Edit: Also i'm jumping on the Nick Jackson bandwagon. Bring him in! :D

Last edited:
Getting Daniel at pick 75 is a "risky selection" that I'd be very happy with. Other than getting our ruckman and a project big forward, and either can be in the rookie draft, picking up a mid who can clearly play but is tiny is not a bad risk with such low picks.
Quiet a bit of talk on the North Board for Daniel as a 3rd rounder. The Hooper comparison in this article is perhaps why he's going to slide.
http://www.sen.com.au/news/caleb-daniel-this-draft-s-mini-ablett

Crows have delisted battersby! I want him!! Rookie him now!!

and they delisted Alex Spina as well .. who also could be worth a look at for a rookie spot ...

imagine the meltdown if we could develop either (or both of them) into good regular footballers

How many small players do we need?

We are weakest in the ruck and big defender area and that should be a priority.
If we can find an A grade small we have room. Every club has an issue with what happens when the ball gets out the back an A grade defensive small is a valuable as anyone out there. Matt White is good for another couple of years Neade and Imp are coming along well but anything can happen, I don't believe Sam Gray is potential A grade small. An extra small in the bank for a couple of years isn't a bad idea and we can do that without going over a likely key position player that we rate.

Although I am a huge fan of Johansen, If Caleb Daniel falls to one of our picks (Which I doubt, unless being small is really that bad) Then we need to take him and run.

Edit: Also i'm jumping on the Nick Jackson bandwagon. Bring him in! :D
I really think Caleb will slide big time and I expect to be available at our pick. His height will definitely worry clubs, Sammy C suffered this fate.
If not Caleb or some other slider you can't say no too, I would pick the best overage state league player and at 57 most clubs would still be looking at youth giving us essentially the pick of the leagues.

I really think Caleb will slide big time and I expect to be available at our pick. His height will definitely worry clubs, Sammy C suffered this fate.
If not Caleb or some other slider you can't say no too, I would pick the best overage state league player and at 57 most clubs would still be looking at youth giving us essentially the pick of the leagues.

The query over sam Colquhoun was his ability to play on one on one because he was generally a mopper up half back type and against bigger, taller and quicker bodies at afl level his ability to compete against them was too risky to pick him up I believed. Daniel plays a different position in midfield/small forward. His skills and tackling are top notch, his sanfl form I believe someone said he gets between 15-20 disposals which is serviceable but if I'm wrong and he gets a very low count than that would be an appropriate reason to slide. I still think he will go top 40

As for best state league player wouldn't mind someone like panos but if there is a jono marsh type this year that would be tops

How many small players do we need?

We are weakest in the ruck and big defender area and that should be a priority.

you dont look to draft to needs with picks 57 and 75 in the draft!!!

its pointless, anyone left at that stage is going to be a project player.

so if you are drafting project players , go for the best project player. look for the highest ceiling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if we might cut Hawthorn's lunch with Harry Dear?

Paige Cardona Phantom Draft 5.0
Pick 77: Hawthorn – Harry Dear

Position: Key forward/ruckman
Height: 197 cm, Weight: 98 kg, DOB: 18/09/1996
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: Father-son selection
Plays like: David Hale

Just because Hawthorn didn’t initially select Harry Dear in the nomination process, it doesn’t mean he isn’t still within their thinking. Whilst it’s probable that a club may snatch him a touch up the order, there is just as much to suggest that he’ll still be available late in the draft. A terrific prospect in terms of his ceiling for further development, Harry Dear is a really nice player who unfortunately had to undergo a shoulder reconstruction after a blistering start to the season. Dear, who is blessed with a flawless set shot technique and vice-like hands, also has above average agility and athleticism for a player of his size. He’s really come on this year after a few injury plagued junior years, and has shown he’s more than adept as a rotation through the ruck where he thrives on the contact, aggression and physical side the role demands. Dear looms as a perfect long-term replacement for David Hale, and will be an absolute monster in five years.

Wonder if we might cut Hawthorn's lunch with Harry Dear?

Position: Key forward/ruckman
Height: 197 cm, Weight: 98 kg, DOB: 18/09/1996
Projected draft range: Father-son selection
Plays like: David Hale

Just because Hawthorn didn’t initially select Harry Dear in the nomination process, it doesn’t mean he isn’t still within their thinking. Whilst it’s probable that a club may snatch him a touch up the order, there is just as much to suggest that he’ll still be available late in the draft. A terrific prospect in terms of his ceiling for further development, Harry Dear is a really nice player who unfortunately had to undergo a shoulder reconstruction after a blistering start to the season. Dear, who is blessed with a flawless set shot technique and vice-like hands, also has above average agility and athleticism for a player of his size. He’s really come on this year after a few injury plagued junior years, and has shown he’s more than adept as a rotation through the ruck where he thrives on the contact, aggression and physical side the role demands. Dear looms as a perfect long-term replacement for David Hale, and will be an absolute monster in five years.
Sounds very handy indeed. Seems similar to Harvey

sounds a bit like jacko also "where he thrives on the contact, aggression and physical side the role"

Initially 31 October - then 13 November:

Friday October 31, by 2pm - List lodgement (1); Rookie promotion to primary list; Retained second and third-year rookies; Scholarship players; Alternate talent player nominations, Total player payment (TPP) estimates.

Saturday November 1 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) begins

Wednesday November 12 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes; Out of contract listed AFL primary list players draft nomination form and player request for removal from list form Lodged with AFL; New or expired (after three years) draft nomination form lodgement.

Thursday November 13, by 2pm - List lodgement (2).

Friday November 14 - AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins

Wednesday November 19 - Delisted primary list draft nomination form lodgement; Non–retained rookie players draft nomination form lodgement; Players not registered or played for three years rookie nomination. NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes

Thursday November 27 - NAB AFL Draft selection meeting (Gold Coast Convention Centre).

Friday November 28 - NAB AFL delisted free agency Period (3) begins

Monday December 1 - AFL delisted player free agency period (3) ends. AFL club list lodgement (3) and TPP estimates. International players inclusion on rookie list form; Scholarship players rookie list form lodged; Father/son and Academy pre-selected rookie nominations.

Wednesday December 3 - NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft selection meeting (11am); Notification of pre-selected rookies nominated on Monday November 25 if not selected in the pre-season draft (11.05am); NAB AFL Rookie Draft selection meeting (11.10am)

Monday December 5 – Final club list lodgement

A really nice player?

Could be worth a punt.

Pick 57: Port Adelaide – Sean McLaren

Position: Utility
Height: 197 cm, Weight: 92 kg, DOB: 10/01/1996
Projected draft range: 40-rookie
Plays like: Lachie Keeffe

Sean McLaren’s two finals games were very impressive. He’s was an influential target up forward for Sandringham, whilst his tap work in the ruck has been a big reason the Dragons have dominated clearances through the finals series. The promising young key position prospect is raw in facets, but blessed in other areas. He has a terrific leap, is aggressive and marks very well. He has an element of excitement in his game, with has versatility to play at both ends of the ground and through the ruck incredibly valuable. When pitted against opposition talls, McLaren uses his long arms to spoil and reach around to kill the ball. He’s quite similar to Collingwood’s Lachie Keeffe, given that he is quite agile and athletic, has strong closing speed that often allows him to take defensive marks and is very clean at ground level. He has a good mix of size, speed and endurance and is now coming to terms that he can have a huge impact a game. McLaren was rated as a standout character during the AFL-AIS tour of Europe early in the year.

Our midfield should be well stocked for the next five to eight years. Players like Young, Moore, Mitchell, Newton and Colquhuon are on the periphery waiting for injuries to get a game. Eventually we'll have to trade a couple out to refresh our list.

The backline also looks solid for a good while. Clurey, Impey, and O'Shea are good to go whenever needed.

Our forwards are probably only good for a couple of years - hopefully Shaw, Butcher and Harvey develop and gain experience soon, but our small forwards are either ageing (Monfries) or moving into the midfield (Gray and Wingard) and I have no confidence that Sam Gray is an AFL quality forward. Amon may make it, but we are thin here

We need to select a tall forward, two medium forwards and a ruckman at the drafts this year. I will be disappoint if we don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back