Opinion 2014 Draft Prospects / Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows only have 1 pick in the 40s as they traded them in and out as part of the Cheney + Lowden package. They have 14, 35, 43, 59, 86 etc

They might take him with #43. Its why I keep saying we have to take him with #57 if he is there but so many others say take him with #75 or wait until the rookie draft. Cant get thru to them that he wont be there after #59 which the crows have. The crows obivously believe their first pick will be there at #14 seeing as they traded away #10. I hope they have their hearts set on a couple of kids with #35 and #43.
I read it as we will certain people in mind for the 1st two rounds.

I feel we will try to rookie a young ruckman. I think we only wanted 1 ready to ruck on the senior list behind Jacobs. Since we got Lowden I don't think we will pick up Baulderstone in the main draft. If he was there for the rookie draft we might take him and a young project.

Just going from recent interviews with Noble and Walsh.

Again, bear in mind when reading SC Paige's profiles that they are all sunshine, rainbows and lollipops. In terms of an opinion what a player could be potentially capable of, they're a good read, but there's no apparent downside whatsoever to any of the superstars she writes about.
Yeah I just came across her page and I agree with that. The only criticism is that implied by the number she associates with them.

Unless the AFL have changed it yet again the article linked below suggests that clubs can have up to six cat A rookies and up to three cat B rookies. That was at the start of 2013 and that is a long time in AFL rule longevity.

We have retained Russell and Gray and Mitchell is upgraded and I assume that both Flynn and Wagener are cat B. We could have four more rookies.

This assumes that the information article below is still correct. Looking through last year's lists I note that both West Coast and Essendon had six cat A rookies so that must be the max. Clubs have to pay Rookies of course so most clubs appear to minimise the number that they carry.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

From the CBA

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/CBA-2012-2016-FINAL.pdf

List.jpg

We still have to delist one more player as part of our obligations to list management. We can however delist more if we see fit. Say we delist one of stevenson or Logan then we goto the draft with 2 picks and a rookie upgrade for Mitchell (must have a total of 3 or more picks /rookie upgrades at the draft) that would leave room for 2 cat a rookies at the rookie draft.

If course of we delist both or more it gives us the opportunity to take an extra pick in the Nd, have a pick at the psd or leave a spot open for a rookie elevation next season

I'm predicting we will delist Stevenson, Have already upgraded Mitchell...

So 2 more on the main list (KPD and best mid available) and 2 more on the rookie list (Ruckman and Krakouer).

Not sure I get the fascination with another kdp seeing we already have both jonas and O'Shea capable of playing 3rd tall and we have trengove, Carlile, hombsch and clurey to fill the big spots... Also at a pinch ryder is a more than handy chb. I think the only position we need to target is another ruckman

Not sure I get the fascination with another kdp seeing we already have both jonas and O'Shea capable of playing 3rd tall and we have trengove, Carlile, hombsch and clurey to fill the big spots... Also at a pinch ryder is a more than handy chb. I think the only position we need to target is another ruckman

We are cherry ripe for a flag. I think with our late picks we should be looking at our depth chart and addressing what we are lacking. Our SANFL team is a good representation of it. As you said a ruck is exactly what we need but with Clurey being our only development KPD it would be handy if we had another guy back there instead of Flynn/Stevenson who are way too short to be playing there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key Defenders who could be available at our pick 57/75:

Oscar McDonald
Position: Key defender/forward
Height: 196 cm, Weight: 88 kg, DOB: 18/03/1996
Club: North Ballarat
Projected draft range 25-50
Plays like: Jackson Trengove

Oscar McDonald is one of the better key defenders I am really bullish about in terms of advancing to the next level. He is tall and athletic, and also picks off numerous forward 50 entries with his tremendous ability to take intercept marks and rebound strongly. Best described as a general in defence, McDonald – the younger brother of Melbourne’s Tom – is extremely versatile as a defender, and, unlike most key defenders, he loves to back himself and use the ball by foot. He hits the ball flat and hard, and has a really nice turn of foot, being deceptively quick over his first few steps. The Rebels have also used him as a key forward, where he’s shown he can be equally as damaging. He has a fantastic leap, strong hands, really good work rate and rarely ever goes to ground. I’m a big fan of the way that

Keenan Ramsay

Height: 193 cm, Weight: 86 kg, DOB:
Club: Port Adelaide
Projected draft range: 40-rookie
Plays like: Lachie Henderson

Ramsey started up forward during his junior football at Port and last year kicked 16 goals from 11 games: however, a switch into defence unearthed a skill set that makes him Ramsay ever so valuable to a league side. In particular, Ramsey’s spoiling, his strength to kill a contest and an ability to make his opponent accountable has seen him develop into a real prospect. His defensive attributes are quite strong, given that he tackles well and isn’t a stranger for getting into a scrap. He’s a great mark, reading the ball well in flight and protecting the drop zone. He’s better suited at playing at centre half forward or back, mostly because he has foot skills that are good enough to find a team-mate further afield. He certainly could fill out further, and when he does his current skill set is only going to be enhanced. He does have a limited ceiling because he doesn’t possess huge closing speed, a massive leap or elite athleticism, but his goal kicking at the combine returned a perfect scorehe loves to play in front of his man, often a few metres ahead. Simply, he’s a super smart footballer, and led the TAC Cup competition for contested marks this year. Taking home the coaches award in the TAC Cup, McDonald took big scalps throughout the year, including Darcy Moore, Peter Wright and Paddy McCartin.

Sean McLaren

Position: Key forward/defender/ruckman
Height: 197 cm, Weight: 92 kg, DOB: 10/01/1996
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Plays like: Lachie Keeffe

Sean McLaren’s two finals games were very impressive. He’s was an influential target up forward for Sandringham, whilst his tap work in the ruck has been a big reason the Dragons have dominated clearances through the finals series. The promising young key position prospect is raw in facets, but blessed in other areas. He has a terrific leap, is aggressive and marks very well. He has an element of excitement in his game, with has versatility to play at both ends of the ground and through the ruck incredibly valuable. When pitted against opposition talls, McLaren uses his long arms to spoil and reach around to kill the ball. He’s quite similar to Collingwood’s Lachie Keeffe, given that he is quite agile and athletic, has strong closing speed that often allows him to take defensive marks and is very clean at ground level. He has a good mix of size, speed and endurance and is now coming to terms that he can have a huge impact a game. McLaren was rated as a standout character during the AFL-AIS tour of Europe early in the year.

Pretty easy answer; depth: we don't need another 3rd defender we need a true kpd who can hold down the post; nielson, Jackson and McLaren are some names that have been thrown up who should be in our range McDonald and Ramsey tipped to go second and early third round respectively. clurey is our only tall-ish defender in the sanfl and yet he plays on the gorilla type forwards like a back up for carlile. Most posters were concerned about depth when trengove went down as we don't have a player who can play on the resting ruck/198cm+ tall forwards. O'Shea gets outbodied by gorilla forwards as seen by darling pantsing him this year. Further Jonas, carlile hombsch and trengove are all best 22 even arguably o'shea leaving clurey as our only depth.

the ruckman this year aren't highly rated only real notable names are pittonet read and baulderstone who would be in our range.

I agree Mattrox, Crows have the ruck they wanted - Baulderstone will still be there with our first pick if we want him.

there would have to be question marks over whether panos midfield play in the sanfl (which he is suited to) would translate to afl.

even if it did he would be behind moore and young and fighting with newton , who i would rate as having a bigger tank (just of the centre mids not counting guys like the hoon/oshea/impey who will be fighting for spots.

Key Defenders who could be available at our pick 57/75:

Oscar McDonald
Height: 196 cm, Weight: 88 kg, DOB: 18/03/1996
Club: North Ballarat
Projected draft range 25-50
Plays like: Jackson Trengove

Oscar McDonald is one of the better key defenders I am really bullish about in terms of advancing to the next level. He is tall and athletic, and also picks off numerous forward 50 entries with his tremendous ability to take intercept marks and rebound strongly. Best described as a general in defence, McDonald – the younger brother of Melbourne’s Tom – is extremely versatile as a defender, and, unlike most key defenders, he loves to back himself and use the ball by foot. He hits the ball flat and hard, and has a really nice turn of foot, being deceptively quick over his first few steps. The Rebels have also used him as a key forward, where he’s shown he can be equally as damaging. He has a fantastic leap, strong hands, really good work rate and rarely ever goes to ground. I’m a big fan of the way that

Keenan Ramsay

Height: 193 cm, Weight: 86 kg, DOB:
Club: Port Adelaide
Plays like: Lachie Henderson

Ramsey started up forward during his junior football at Port and last year kicked 16 goals from 11 games: however, a switch into defence unearthed a skill set that makes him Ramsay ever so valuable to a league side. In particular, Ramsey’s spoiling, his strength to kill a contest and an ability to make his opponent accountable has seen him develop into a real prospect. His defensive attributes are quite strong, given that he tackles well and isn’t a stranger for getting into a scrap. He’s a great mark, reading the ball well in flight and protecting the drop zone. He’s better suited at playing at centre half forward or back, mostly because he has foot skills that are good enough to find a team-mate further afield. He certainly could fill out further, and when he does his current skill set is only going to be enhanced. He does have a limited ceiling because he doesn’t possess huge closing speed, a massive leap or elite athleticism, but his goal kicking at the combine returned a perfect scorehe loves to play in front of his man, often a few metres ahead. Simply, he’s a super smart footballer, and led the TAC Cup competition for contested marks this year. Taking home the coaches award in the TAC Cup, McDonald took big scalps throughout the year, including Darcy Moore, Peter Wright and Paddy McCartin.

Sean McLaren

Position: Key forward/defender/ruckman
Height: 197 cm, Weight: 92 kg, DOB: 10/01/1996
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Plays like: Lachie Keeffe

Sean McLaren’s two finals games were very impressive. He’s was an influential target up forward for Sandringham, whilst his tap work in the ruck has been a big reason the Dragons have dominated clearances through the finals series. The promising young key position prospect is raw in facets, but blessed in other areas. He has a terrific leap, is aggressive and marks very well. He has an element of excitement in his game, with has versatility to play at both ends of the ground and through the ruck incredibly valuable. When pitted against opposition talls, McLaren uses his long arms to spoil and reach around to kill the ball. He’s quite similar to Collingwood’s Lachie Keeffe, given that he is quite agile and athletic, has strong closing speed that often allows him to take defensive marks and is very clean at ground level. He has a good mix of size, speed and endurance and is now coming to terms that he can have a huge impact a game. McLaren was rated as a standout character during the AFL-AIS tour of Europe early in the year.

where did you get that from malcolm?? A linky would be good.

Ahhh must of (sic) missed them
Yeah Panos's name has been sort of scattered through a few threads since the season finished. No major discussion though. For the sake of discussion for those new to BigFooty the search tool isn't too bad for finding stuff when unsure if/when to post about something.

With Panos I think he would be a decent depth player for a bottom 8 team no better than Matt Thomas.
Wow, talk about damning with faint praise. I wouldn't mind a younger Matt Thomas as a depth player.

Panos deserves another shot at AFL - he played very well against the Magpies, which included at times Newton, Moore and Young.
As supporters we sometimes get carried away with the talent that 'could be' drafted. Panos is a ready made player with a few limitations that could be ironed out in a decent pre season.

I see, the number of Rookies is tied to the number of players on the Primary List.
Our Primary List next year is likely to be 39 as Kane Cornes is our only player who qualifies under the ten year rule. So we can have five Cat A rookies and 3 Cat B rookies.

This means taking at most 3 more Cat A rookies to add to Gray and Russell.

Thanks for that Phhht.

I agree Mattrox, Crows have the ruck they wanted - Baulderstone will still be there with our first pick if we want him.

Interesting feedback from the far side of the swamp, thank you Mattrox

It's possible our thinking is still influenced by Walsh's year here. If his thinking is borne out by the Crows targeting a mix of 1 'elite', 1 'playable' and 1 'project' ruck each on their list - a list with far less part time ruck capability (Jenkins at a pinch, don't think Hendo has anywhere near the height, skills or mongrel for it), hell, then we won't even pick up Baulderstone, unless he's literally 'best available'. That path seems more of a risk than most on this board would expect our club to take. RussellEbertHandball will have a fit!

Oh and congrats to Mitchell on the upgrade. We complained about his kicking, he went and improved it. Sure there are other things for him to work on. Seems about to inherit Tommy Logan's old "first backup to be called up" midfield spot. Interesting times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back