Opinion 2014 Draft Prospects / Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys just wondering who you are thinking of getting in the draft because we are doing a Phantom draft on the Carlton board.
Take the best KPD available with our 1st pick. (Some include Keenan Ramsey, Nick Jackson etc)
Then with our 2nd pick if Johansen or Caleb Daniel is still there pick one of them, if not.. Nathan Krakouer.

Sam Durdin was on 5AA. Good lad by the sounds of things. Spent time at Port with his AIS scholarship. Sounds like he loves the Hoff - modelling his game om him. The Hoff mentored him during his time. Hope he keeps up the friendship and it means in 2016 or 2018 he asks for a trade to Port to play with the Hoff before he finishes.

They did mention he might have slipped out of the top 10. Wonder if he is why the crows were prepared to downgrade from 10 to 14?
Two clubs with multiple picks inside the top 10 opens the door for a slider you'd prefer to still have pick 10 in that scenario though, gee i hope he goes interstate we'd be a chance of snagging him down the line.

Guys just wondering who you are thinking of getting in the draft because we are doing a Phantom draft on the Carlton board.
57: best available/kpd linked to nielson by previous poster and a Jackson/McLaren would be handy
pick 70 something I forgot what it was: a ruckman in some vicinity; development or mature aged looking at baulderstone, read, pittonet and another guy from qld a mature aged player also forgot his name
pick 90 something: rookie upgrade - kane Mitchell the actual pick hasn't been confirmed yet but the upgrade has.

In the last 2 years we have focused heavily on real hard working, high quality people. endurance has been prominent, although Mitch Harvey was the outlier where it seemed we backed in Burgess to turn him around.

best available, most people on here seem to think mature aged recruits might get a go somewhere but i am not sold on that. if we don't get a ruckman pre-draft expect us to pick up a mature aged player late draft/rookie.

We were very keen on Drummond last year from reports, unsure whether we would go after him given how many of type we ended up with though.

Nathan Drummond? he is unique I quite like him, solid build and played with impey through the bushrangers and vic country. Extremely injury prone from all reports but his athletic attributes; 20m sprint and endurance is top notch.

Drummond reminds me of a young Scott Burns although his highlights are not that remarkable.
He is an indigenous player

This is possibly the worst highlights package I've seen. It's like it was made by The Joker.

notsureifserious.jpg

Ben Edwards from Glenelg is getting some recognition lately. Tall and lightly framed, I think he's been a pin up of Chris25 for a while. Cat's out of the bag. ;)

Be funny if he goes pick 13.

Geelong had 14 so 13 would be Freo. Home sick after 2 or 4 years in Perth. Actually Freo need to replace McPharlin he will only last 2015, and Michael Johnson just turned 30. Their back up tall KPD's aren't tall. So he could well be a chance to get snapped up by Freo.

I would draft Baulderstone in the National Draft because he looks like he could make it. He has football talent, is a big mature body and tested well at SA draft camp. I wouldn't bother with any other more mature aged ruck on the list ... someone like Brooksby is a good SANFL ruck but won't be a lead AFL ruck. If there's a good kid who slides because he's a ruck only maybe take him. Otherwise they're just a list clogger.

Rookie list is the place for a back up ruck. Even Derickx did a reasonable job at Sydney.

Saw some of the SA draft testing results and Baulderstone didn't seem to excel in the standing vertical and running jump or the beep test. Not being able to jump can't be a good thing for a ruckman.

Saw some of the SA draft testing results and Baulderstone didn't seem to excel in the standing vertical and running jump or the beep test. Not being able to jump can't be a good thing for a ruckman.

I looked at the results on the sanfl website sometime after I posted that and he wasn't anywhere on the top 10s. It was reported on one of the news services that he had done well and raised his stocks. That'll learn me to trust them varmints!

He's still a good ruck possibility and has shown quite a bit at sanfl level. I might be biased by his continually flogging our second string ruckmen in local games. As well as his ruck work he can run and present and he has a decent kick on him.

There's enough there to take a chance on with a late pick.

My predictions (Bet $10 everything apart from Logan being rookied doesn't happen)
57 KPD (Ramsey, Jackson etc)
75 Jake Johansen or Caleb Daniel
93 Sam Baulderstone
111: Nathan Krakouer
Rookie 1: Take your pick between Kirkwood/Summerton/Panos
Rookie 2: Tom Logan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Spina, Battersby and Thompson were all stiff to get delisted by the crows. Any of those worth a rookie spot?

I would like to get Spina and give him a full pre season with Burgo (he had a late pre season with the cows) ..

it would be priceless to watch the cow supporters spit chips if he could make it (that in itself would be worth the punt on picking him with a late pick say our 129)

My predictions (Bet $10 everything apart from Logan being rookied doesn't happen)
57 KPD (Ramsey, Jackson etc)
75 Jake Johansen or Caleb Daniel
93 Sam Baulderstone
111: Nathan Krakouer
Rookie 1: Take your pick between Kirkwood/Summerton/Panos
Rookie 2: Tom Logan

here is who I hope we could get in the drafts

NAB AFL Draft picks (main draft)

57, Caleb Daniel 166 cm (Mid)
a pocket rocket who made the U/18 All Australian side he is very quick and would be a top 5 pick if he was 10+ cm taller.
or
Declan Hamilton 183 cm (Mid / Fwd) nephew of D. Jarman and he has a 6th sense when in congestion and he has strong
endurance base.
or
Brett Eddy 194cm
(KPF - who kicked 54 goals in the SANFL and is a very good set shot for goal. he would definitely help Schulzy).

75, Nick Jackson (Aspley) 195cm
KPD - strong marking, team oriented player who rebounds well.
or
Daniel Nielson Eastern Ranges 193cm (Vermont) a
KPD- rarely beaten one on one, has athleticism and competitiveness.

93, Marc Pittonet 200 cm
Ruckman/forward - has aggressiveness & combative ruckman and the best one in the draft.
or
Braydon Preuss (Mt Gravatt) 205cm, 102kg
Ruckman/forward - has power, has a rugby back ground, good set shot for goal.

111, any of the above that are still available

129 Mitchell upgrade

Rookie Draft

rookie pick 1 -
Luke Reynolds (ex Port Magpie player who was on Carlton's list worth a punt) has a Hammer type kick it would be good to have him back at the magpies (and it would be good having him and Harvey together again as they both were forwards for the 2013 South Australian u/18 state side).

rookie pick 2 -
Alex Spina (ex cows rookie) - he is very damaging player forward has a good game sense and knack of getting to good positions didn't have a pre season with the cows and Sando and they didn't develop him as they could have. would be worth a punt just to annoy the cows supporters.

rookie pick 3 -
Tommy Logan

here is who I hope we could get in the drafts

NAB AFL Draft picks (main draft)

57, Caleb Daniel 166 cm (Mid)
a pocket rocket who made the U/18 All Australian side he is very quick and would be a top 5 pick if he was 10+ cm taller.
or
Declan Hamilton 183 cm (Mid / Fwd) nephew of D. Jarman and he has a 6th sense when in congestion and he has strong
endurance base.
or
Brett Eddy 194cm
(KPF - who kicked 54 goals in the SANFL and is a very good set shot for goal. he would definitely help Schulzy).

75, Nick Jackson (Aspley) 195cm
KPD - strong marking, team oriented player who rebounds well.
or
Daniel Nielson Eastern Ranges 193cm (Vermont) a
KPD- rarely beaten one on one, has athleticism and competitiveness.

93, Marc Pittonet 200 cm
Ruckman/forward - has aggressiveness & combative ruckman and the best one in the draft.
or
Braydon Preuss (Mt Gravatt) 205cm, 102kg
Ruckman/forward - has power, has a rugby back ground, good set shot for goal.

111, any of the above that are still available

129 Mitchell upgrade

Rookie Draft

rookie pick 1 -
Luke Reynolds (ex Port Magpie player who was on Carlton's list worth a punt) has a Hammer type kick it would be good to have him back at the magpies (and it would be good having him and Harvey together again as they both were forwards for the 2013 South Australian u/18 state side).

rookie pick 2 -
Alex Spina (ex cows rookie) - he is very damaging player forward has a good game sense and knack of getting to good positions didn't have a pre season with the cows and Sando and they didn't develop him as they could have. would be worth a punt just to annoy the cows supporters.

rookie pick 3 -
Tommy Logan

I thought we only had 2 rookie picks? (including Tommy Logan)
Unless you want 1 of Sam Gray or Russell delisted?

I thought we only had 2 rookie picks? (including Tommy Logan)
Unless you want 1 of Sam Gray or Russell delisted?

ATM Sam Gray is on the main list not the rookie list. I am not 100 % sure about how many rookies we will have a choice of just before the draft.

ATM we have Russell only as a category A rookie on our rookie list although we do have 2 Category B rookies (in Flynny who is on the clubs rookies page & Wagner who is not on it)

I think

- if we have 39 on the primary list we can have 5 category A rookies and 3 category B rookies
- if we have 40 on the primary list we can have 4 category A rookies and 3 category B rookies

I guess it could come down to if we use all 5 picks in the main draft

ATM Sam Gray is on the main list not the rookie list. I am not 100 % sure about how many rookies we will have a choice of just before the draft.

ATM we have Russell only as a category A rookie on our rookie list although we do have 2 Category B rookies (in Flynny who is on the clubs rookies page & Wagner who is not on it)

I think

- if we have 39 on the primary list we can have 5 category A rookies and 3 category B rookies
- if we have 40 on the primary list we can have 4 category A rookies and 3 category B rookies

I guess it could come down to if we use all 5 picks in the main draft

Ah ok wasn't aware Sammy Gray was on the main list I thought at the end of the season upgraded rookies reset back to the rookie list unless they are upgraded in the draft.

Ah ok wasn't aware Sammy Gray was on the main list I thought at the end of the season upgraded rookies reset back to the rookie list unless they are upgraded in the draft.

100% Sam Gray is a rookie listed player

So 4 on the main list and 2 rookies to pick then?
(1 rookie really since Logan will get re-drafted as a rookie)

Yep, I reckon it'll be along these lines

National Draft

Pick 57 - Caleb Daniel (I hope)
Pick 75 - KPD
Pick 93 - Ruckman
Pick 111 - Kane Mitchel upgrade

One PSD or DFA selection

Rookie Draft

Pick 16 - Best available
Pick 32 - Tom Logan

Found the reference

Kane Mitchell realises dream as Port Adelaide upgrades him to senior list

Port has offered second-year rookie positions to classy small forward/midfielder Sam Gray, who played seven AFL games this year, and Sam Russell, who is yet to debut.

Kane Mitchell realises dream as Port Adelaide upgrades him to senior list

I think we might have 5-10 players training at Alberton in the 5 days between the National Draft and Pre-season/Rookie Draft.
Mature State League players, AFL Delistees, Undrafted 18 year olds and Maggies players fighting to be picked with our PSD pick and our 1st rookie pick.

Last edited:
We could do worse than pick Corey Beard late in the draft. 195cm backman - problem solved if a key back (or two) go down as per 2014. The slump because of Jackson and Bobby being injured probably cost us a top 2 position.

We have 5 picks in total if we use them all (no reason why we shouldn't) plus Tommy L rookied = 6.
Just depends on how the mix of primary list and rookie listings goes as the Club sees fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back