Opinion 2014 Draft Prospects / Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

It is always hard to gauge sanfl ruckmen against AFL opposition. When Ryan O'Connor won his Magarey and was one of the dominant sanfl ruckmen, he was flogged in a match against Sturt by Barnaby French who was returning from injury through the sanfl.

Against Port in round 1 Baulderstone had 29 hitouts to Renouf's 41
Against Adelaide in round 7 Baulderstone had 19 hitouts to Graham's 33
Against Adelaide in round 18 Baulderstone had 18 hitouts to Graham's 49

It's a tiny sample but it's not clear he would walk straight into an AFL side and be competitive against bigger, more athletic ruckmen than him.
The biggest point against him based on those figures is the fact neither Renouf or Graham are recognised ruckman at AFL level... Renouf was horrifying against Freo in his only game for us last year and Graham well the less said the better.

If Baulderstone cant break even against these guys its not a good indicator of his perfomance against larger and more mobile ruckmen. Sure Renouf and Graham are full time athletes and Baulderstone isnt but Renouf had his injury problems this year before blowing his knee and Graham's lack of fitness is well known.

This is my point with Baulderstone. Is he actually the ready to go, break glass in emergency ruck that he is claimed to be? If not, is there someone else that could cover the role? If not, perhaps Pittonet is the best option?

Keep well away from baulderstone he is not up to ports standard a loooooooong way off!

This is my point with Baulderstone. Is he actually the ready to go, break glass in emergency ruck that he is claimed to be? If not, is there someone else that could cover the role? If not, perhaps Pittonet is the best option?

Given his lack of fitness, the thought is it will take him at least 12 months in the system to get his fitness up from awful to acceptable so if drafting him is likely to pay dividends, it will be in 2016 onwards, not in 2015. He bombed at the state combine.

Whilst he gets by at SANFL level by literally being taller and stronger than the undersized ruckmen that play at state league level, he wont have that luxury at AFL level where his fellow rucks are the same height but actually jump at ruck contests. Someone like Sam Jacobs would tear him to shreds.

After Brodie Grundy in 2012 going at 18 I wouldn't be surprised to see Peter Wright go late. The adage "a good big man will always beat a good small man" doesn't seem to apply at draft time.

I'd be shocked. Grundy slipping was because high drafted ruckmen weren't working out as well as later drafted ruckmen at the time.

Wright is a forward. He just so happens to be extremely capable in the ruck as well.

I'd be shocked. Grundy slipping was because high drafted ruckmen weren't working out as well as later drafted ruckmen at the time.

Wright is a forward. He just so happens to be extremely capable in the ruck as well.
In the last 7 years of rucks there have been very few successful big men drafted, whether rucks or forwards. GWS drafted most and with their concessions they were able to draft for needs. I don't see him dropping as far as 18 as he has more than Grundy but I think the history of big men early in the draft will put a few clubs off him and he could be picked up by a team that was not expected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair to Wright, he is and will be a gun but will take fair longer to develop than a midfielder. Mids picked in the first round tend to give great rewards early and there is less risk involved, ie Ollie Wines. The other thing, like Durdin, he had an up and down season, which affects his standing, and clubs begin prioritising needs. Clubs will take the gun mid, the fast outside player or the KPP who they need over a ruck/forward who won't be ready for 2-5 years.

That said, he will still go first round, maybe around pick 10

As it has already been mooted on this thread, I think at some stage in our drafting we should look at a young ruckman such as Kovacevic or Kristelly to develop over the next 3 or 4 years. Whether it is in the National or Rookie it doesn't matter, but it takes 4 or 5 years to develop a ruckman so we need to get started.

No sure- in his highlights package only twice in about 20-25 grabs of video did he ever have an opponent near him. No contested possessions as a result. Either he is magnificent at losing his opponent and a first round candidate or the tape tells us nothing. There is no way he will ever get that much room at the top level.

Three years as a WAFL fringe player and one good year where he never had an opponent- pass.

Cal Twomey thinks Reece McKenzie will be drafted in the 50-70 range. Problem?

No sure- in his highlights package only twice in about 20-25 grabs of video did he ever have an opponent near him. No contested possessions as a result. Either he is magnificent at losing his opponent and a first round candidate or the tape tells us nothing. There is no way he will ever get that much room at the top level.

Three years as a WAFL fringe player and one good year where he never had an opponent- pass.

Boekhorst is not by any means an inside player, but he does have the ability to win one on one contests. Pretty electric player and has made improvements to address my initial concern that he didn't find enough of the ball. Is the kind of player who raises the ire of supporters on days where the whole team is down, but the times I've seen him he's been more good than bad.

harsh dude harsh. i reckon there is plently to work with there. would love to pick him up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back