Opinion 2014 Draft Prospects / Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

No Johansen - that means only a few clubs want him tested and is heading for a rookie place.
If we rookie list Johansen that would be the biggest steal since Colquhoun.

Both will be 200 game players.

Yea absolutely.

If we pick up Griffin and Gorringe type players through trade and, considering who we are likely to delist (Hitchcock, Renouf, Stevenson and Cassisi has retired), any of the above would fit in nicely. Throw in Harrison Wigg, Declan Hamilton and maybe a Conlon type and we are a go.

I wouldn't delist Stevenson. Liked his game against the Crows on Sat

I noticed in Knightmares thread thats Watchmans stocks are on the rise again anyone seen West Adelaide reserves play lately?

Kicked 4 against Sturt last game, after spending a couple of weeks in the 18s.
Is starting to piece it together after a below average start to the year

small medium defenders: Jonas, Pittard, Broadbent, O'Shea, Impey, PStew, Cassisi, Logan, Heath, Stevenson, Byrne-Jones, Russell, Flynn.

theres 13. it's easily our biggest imbalance. You could scratch 5-6 from this list and still have solid depth in the area.

Stevenson won't make the cut. 20 odd, second club his kick is good unless he's under pressure and his defence is average. i think he could still play AFL for another club lacking what we lacked 2 years ago. however he's surplus to needs and better younger alternatives have taken his spot.

Heath and Stevenson (combined 21 games in 2013) will be delisted but I will say they were very cheap to get and gave us depth for the short term.
Was a lot better than drafting 2 kids that would have most likely been delisted quickly anyway and would have played 0 games of AFL.

I quite like Heath as a player, he's definitely been unlucky with injuries. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if the club swapped him and Mitchell on the rookie/main lists.

If Primus had still been coach Stevenson and Heath would have played 22 games each and at least one of them would have won a BnF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we'll keep Heath. Pretty sure the coaching staff rate him highly and his year has been almost solely ruined by injury. Only played about 3 games for the year.

I'm more curious at this stage about who we de-list. Cassisi, so that's one and then there's got to be three more. Tough decisions!

I'm more curious at this stage about who we de-list. Cassisi, so that's one and then there's got to be three more. Tough decisions!

You would think Hitchcock - who has surely used up all of his nine lives - and Renouf - providing we were to acquire suitable replacements - will be among this year's delisted players.

The only person everyone agrees with being delisted is Hitchcock. (and Cassisi obviously since he retired)

I've read cases people for and against Heath, Stevenson, Renouf being delisted with Butcher being traded.
IMO out of the 4 I listed above we have to get rid of at least 3 and if you want to keep 2 or more of them then someone like Ah Chee might be unlucky which I hope is not the case.

Ah Chee is young and fit.

Renouf is a broken down draught horse.

Some people here want Renouf to stay on the list because his job title is "Ruckman"
He was embarrassing in the Freo game (lucky we had Trengove to wipe his bottom for him).
He was embarrassing vs Norwood as well.

There are plenty of better options at state league and AFL level that would be paid less. We have to remember Renouf is the highest paid rookie in the league.

Stevenson, Renouf and Hitchcock are as certain to be de-listed as you can get. Mid 20's, bog-standard and hardly played any AFL in 2 years.

If we're looking at Nathan Krakouer and/or Josh Glenn with late picks than we should be letting go at least two of Heath, Stewart and Logan. Heath's probably first to miss out of that group, we have so much depth in small-mid sized defenders: Broadbent, Jonas, Impey, O'Shea, Pittard, Colquhoun, Byrne-Jones, Flynn and Russel - I'd probably cut all three.

Brendon Ah Chee could be saved by the fact that there are plenty of others to go before him. Though, to be fair his form is much improved over the past couple of months. I still have a big question mark over his ball use by foot being up to AFL standard. It wouldn't surprise or disappoint to see him moved on to the rookie list.

John Butcher's probably the most interesting one and the hardest to speculate on. Are his problems mental or physical? Or both? I'll trust the club to know what's best for John, there's a list spot open for him if he wants it.

Mitchell and Gray are both limited footballers and should stay on the rookie list for mine.

Cassisi, Stevo and Hitchy would be three. I'd move Heath to the Rookie due to his injury situation

P Stewart likely to be traded. Possibly Butcher also

A couple of things; no-one will trade for Stewart as they can simple take him as an unrestricted free agent. The only way we'd get anything for him is if we scored someone else as a FA ourselves, e.g. a Monfries type deal.

We will most likely retain Mitchell and we need three picks in the draft. Mitchell has already done two years on the rookie list, that means we either have to elevate him or delist and try to re-rookie him. I don't think we'd take the risk with the second option. The only other choice would be a trade to another clubs senior list, so unless there's some enquiries with a reasonable option, we'll need an extra spot on the senior list for him. I mentioned before I wouldn't be surprised if the club swap Mitchell and Heath on their respective lists.

If that's the case we'll still need two more delistings plus Cassisi retiring. My guess would be Stevenson and Hitchcock, with Stewart, Logan and Ah Chee offered one year deals and Renouf and Gray both kept on the rookie list.

Can see Mitchell coming into play as steak knives somewhere. We have traded far worse than him for good outcomes and there would be interest for some clubs..... Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back