Opinion 2014 Draft Prospects / Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Panos is getting a few mentions. Panos will 24yo next year and was at the Western Bulldogs as a rookie for 3 years as a key forward. He came back to Norwood at the beginning of last year and was converted to an on-baller at the start of this year. He's around 191cm and 90kg.

Panos is plug and play, and would have caught the attention of recruiters this year. He's going to the state draft combine and finished 6th in the Magarey Medal.

actually in those three years

around in total 1 year he was injured, and another he played at CHB

worth the rookie always been a fan

Wouldn't mind a quality half back flanker with our second round; a glenn, viojo rainbow or wigg in that order. Wigg seems identical to Sammy c so not so keen on him, glenn is pretty mature in the sanfl but may get picked before ours and viojo rainbow seems so hawthorn-esc along with duggan but has the traits of a hurn/suckling type that seems pretty exciting

Leverde with our first pick. Has the height for a big bodied mid, has the speed and agility of a rebounding back and can snag a goal like a good half forward. Very creative with good skills but does need to work on decision making. Will probably slide and may even be there at a first round pick down grade.

We need those utility types, who can play a number of roles.

It's why I would avoid Weller and anyone under 180cm with our first pick. (Obviously not if they are the best available) They may have the talent but not the size for that versatility.

Also with Reece McKensie - can anyone see him going first round? Looks more like a 2nd/3rd round pick... bit of a project and a bit rough but could be solid.

In terms of sliders (the picks not the delicious burger kind) - maybe Goddard out of top ten. Wright and Durdin may drop a few but very very unlikely to drop past the top ten. Marchbank, Blakely and Keitel may all slide into the 20s.

Leverde with our first pick. Has the height for a big bodied mid, has the speed and agility of a rebounding back and can snag a goal like a good half forward. Very creative with good skills but does need to work on decision making. Will probably slide and may even be there at a first round pick down grade.

We need those utility types, who can play a number of roles.

It's why I would avoid Weller and anyone under 180cm with our first pick. (Obviously not if they are the best available) They may have the talent but not the size for that versatility.

Laverde is a special payer that play where he took on hayes was exciting. I think the only real competition in terms of opposition picking him up is north, Richmond should go with de goey as they need another mid. Twomey predicted that one of duggan or laverde will slide I think duggan has a bit more polish with his disposal so he hopefully will be taken higher leaving laverde for us. Would you be disappointed with ahern with our first? 181cm quick outside player.

As for reece he looks like the bottom half of the first round possibly geelong or freo picking him up if not there will be gone by second round. Your right with goddard if durdin/lever somehow available at adelaides pick they should pick them up otherwise goddard in terms of needs. Marchbank and Keitel second round marchbank maybe backend of first and blakely likewise wont last til pick 25 you would think unless he pulls a Dumont and gets picked up in the 30 range

I don't rate this draft enough (combined with rating our list where it already is) to make sure we nail that first pick. I'd be keen on going on a talented kid with potential and hoping we can bring the best out of him than a definite 200 game solid prospect. Laverde fits that mould and I wouldn't be upset with him, if we're going for that classy player I'd prefer Duggan though.

But if we're going down that path, why not go for a KPP? Goddard would be who I'd want us to pick, but I don't think we will - Tom Lamb is another I want as a KPP who can go in the middle. Then of course there is Reece McKenzie. If we rate him, who cares if he "might" slide to the second round? Grab him when we can.

Tyler Keitel in the second round would be an excellent get.

Durdin wont get past the Crows you'd think. They want a key defender and there is the best home grown KPP in the draft. They wont miss him. McKenzie im not sold on. Sounds too much like Ryan Willits at this stage.

I can see us going for someone like Neal-Bullen with our first pick. I love Laverde though, would be happy if we landed him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't rate this draft enough (combined with rating our list where it already is) to make sure we nail that first pick. I'd be keen on going on a talented kid with potential and hoping we can bring the best out of him than a definite 200 game solid prospect. Laverde fits that mould and I wouldn't be upset with him, if we're going for that classy player I'd prefer Duggan though.

But if we're going down that path, why not go for a KPP? Goddard would be who I'd want us to pick, but I don't think we will - Tom Lamb is another I want as a KPP who can go in the middle. Then of course there is Reece McKenzie. If we rate him, who cares if he "might" slide to the second round? Grab him when we can.

Tyler Keitel in the second round would be an excellent get.

I went to the 1st semi between South and East Perth last Sunday. Keitel had an absolute shocker. Struggled to get into the game having started deep in the forward line, so was moved up the ground to get into the game a bit which he did to some extent but they kept trying to get him back to full forward. Took a couple of nice contested grabs highlighting his ability, but field kicking was well off, missed a simple set shot which would have put EP in front midway through last quarter and then gave away a really silly free kick needlessly shoving a guy well after he marked it.

Clearly has talent, but the best players rarely have these bad days where they make it obvious to all at the ground that they know it isn't 'their day'.

Also with Reece McKensie - can anyone see him going first round? Looks more like a 2nd/3rd round pick... bit of a project and a bit rough but could be solid.

In terms of sliders (the picks not the delicious burger kind) - maybe Goddard out of top ten. Wright and Durdin may drop a few but very very unlikely to drop past the top ten. Marchbank, Blakely and Keitel may all slide into the 20s.

Reese does have his own thread on the trading and draft board with most of the guys that watch him seeing him as a project player maybe 3 round.

I went to the 1st semi between South and East Perth last Sunday. Keitel had an absolute shocker. Struggled to get into the game having started deep in the forward line, so was moved up the ground to get into the game a bit which he did to some extent but they kept trying to get him back to full forward. Took a couple of nice contested grabs highlighting his ability, but field kicking was well off, missed a simple set shot which would have put EP in front midway through last quarter and then gave away a really silly free kick needlessly shoving a guy well after he marked it.

Clearly has talent, but the best players rarely have these bad days where they make it obvious to all at the ground that they know it isn't 'their day'.

Ah, well that's interesting. I haven't seen him since the champs, where he was an excellent contested mark with a nice leap and a very smooth mover. I guess we already have a forward who can't kick.

Lamb won't be a KPP. Doesn't have the body size - more of a tall winger, forward/back flanker - a good one at that.

Agree that Durdin won't get past the Crows and will be top ten, maybe not top 3 as some have predicted.

The second tier talls will be the ones around our later picks. Mclaren, Mckensie, Keitel, maybe Marchbank, etc. I think the combine will really separate some of these guys out for us. Probably not going to take another like Harvey in terms of fitness levels.

Connor Blakely is our man.

Seems very St Kilda like to me for some odd reason

The more and more I read about it im really liking the prospect of Jackson Nelson with our first round pick. Described as a Vlaustin type who can play inside mid. Vic Country boy which is what we have picked up in the most recent drafts; impey clurey wines albeit we picked a few metro lads aswell. However the points that interest me the most is that he has slid out of the top 10 of early phantom drafts throughout the year. In his draft profile two pieces that caught my eye were:

-"His contested game is incredible, in fact against the Northern Knights he collected nine clearances and 15 contested possessions in a complete game earlier in the season"
-"What you see is what you get with Nelson. An honest, hard working footballer who is more likely to wear black boots rather than fluorescent ones. A player who dumps opponents into the turf and has a fearless approach. His resilient mental edge that means he gets the best out of himself as well as his team mates around him."

Source: http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-jackson-nelson/

Last edited:
Ah, well that's interesting. I haven't seen him since the champs, where he was an excellent contested mark with a nice leap and a very smooth mover. I guess we already have a forward who can't kick.

Oh, don't take it to mean that he's always a bad kick. I've seen a bit of him now and it's generally proven to be fine, but he had a poor game on the weekend. Suppose it's harsh of me to just point out the bad game, when he's good most weeks, but you can often learn a lot more about a player in a game where things go against them.

Seems very St Kilda like to me for some odd reason

The more and more I read about it im really liking the prospect of Jackson Nelson with our first round pick. Described as a Vlaustin type who can play inside mid. Vic Country boy which is what we have picked up in the most recent drafts; impey clurey wines albeit we picked a few metro lads aswell. However the points that interest me the most is that he has slid out of the top 10 of early phantom drafts throughout the year. In his draft profile two pieces that caught my eye were:

-"His contested game is incredible, in fact against the Northern Knights he collected nine clearances and 15 contested possessions in a complete game earlier in the season"
-"What you see is what you get with Nelson. An honest, hard working footballer who is more likely to wear black boots rather than fluorescent ones. A player who dumps opponents into the turf and has a fearless approach. His resilient mental edge that means he gets the best out of himself as well as his team mates around him."

Source: http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-jackson-nelson/

Agree about Blakely seeming like a St Kilda pick but he is perfect for us. He is a rangy, tall midfielder who is an excellent extractor and decent mover. He has a very good sidestep and great awareness in traffic. Probably in my top 3 for this draft out of my favourite players along with Marchbank (who we should take if there but doubt he will be) and Laverde.

Nelson hasn't stood out to me at all when I have seen him and his stats don't scream star to me. He is regularly outshined by his younger Falcons teammates and doesn't really put big games together. Certainly wouldn't take him with a first rounder unless you are happy with role players there but I think we need to take someone who could develop into something really good. Take a risk there.

Also wouldn't touch McKenzie until the 3rd round. Sure he is a big unit who is probably the strongest mark I've seen this year but his kicking for goal is on a Butch level. I watched him against the Bushies and he took a great mark 20 out right in front and missed it then fluked one from 25m out hard up on the boundary. Balldrop is horrid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back