List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Watch Thread

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sexton? Hardly. But we need a fast and swift mid regardless. Shaw and Sexton haven't really shown that they're up to the task.

I feel Matt Shaw has done ok, better then Sexton.He has a lot of pace and attacks well,, has great potential and just may develop into a good regular player under Rockets guidance.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I feel Matt Shaw has done ok, better then Sexton.He has a lot of pace and attacks well,, has great potential and just may develop into a good regular player under Rockets guidance.
He has done ok, and I agree that he's done better than Sexton, but he's still incredibly inconsistent. Consistency is what the Geelong, Hawthorn, Brisbane, and Sydney premiership teams had that we don't.

I hope that Rocket brings out the best in Shaw, just as I hope Day improves under Rocket, but from an external perspective, it's hard to pinpoint what the exact issues are preventing them from performing week in, week out.

Perhaps our new draftees of 2014 will shine in the NEAFL and will get a call up to fill vacant spots - anything's possible under a new coach!

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sungod,
players such as Lynch, May, Thompson, Dixon, Smith, all began their careers with the Suns on the same level as Day. The development of these guys has been immense compared to Days development.Watch Day closely on game day, he has no footy brain and this hinders his decision making, it stands out like dogs balls.
Problem is, having a good footy brain with quick decision making ability is very much a natural thing... its a very difficult area to teach.!!!
I'm not disagreeing with you, Day's footy brain is quite average but with experience it can only get better. My auditing brain was very average but I like to think it has improved immensely with training and experience. He's also rarely been the focal point of our attack (probably because of his lack of a footy brain but also because of I think a lack of confidence) and is used as a third tall in what has been an average at best forward line, which makes life even tougher for him. FWIW I think Smith also has a poor footy brain, and Thompson wouldn't be on our list any more if we hadn't played him down back as a last resort. Dicko is going to be a month to month proposition for the rest of his career with his pardon the pun Dicky ankle. Makes the recruitment of 2MP look more inspired the more I think about it. I few experts pre-draft suggested they thought Day's best position might be at CHB. 2MP's recruitment is going to create a cascade of depth and competition for spots throughout our KPF / KPD and Ruck Divisions which can only be a good thing.

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There are two blokes being Tiger Shaw and Aaron Hall that will either flourish or perish under Rockets no excuses approach. he will either flick the switch in one or both of these guys to get them playing consistently to their potential or they will be relegated

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
AFL.com says we have a young fella training with us called Ben Crocker , anyone heard of him ?
No clue. Had a google of him, looks draft eligible this year? As in, not a mature ager. Played TAC Cup this year for the Chargers.

Maybe SCPaige can expand. She knows a fair few of the TAC boys.

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-01/2015s-class-on-show-now-at-your-club

Not eligible until next year. He is a member of the AIS Academy, and every year they send everyone to a club to experience what AFL clubs are like and take part in some of the pre-season. He has been assigned to us just like Weller last year and Aish the year before.

But hopefully he falls in love with the club and ends up wanting to play for us. :)

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
FWIW I think Smith also has a poor footy brain
Completely agree. There were plenty of games this year where he had NFI what was going on. Our rucks are pretty poor overall, really. Nicholls would be good if he weren't injured every game though.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Completely agree. There were plenty of games this year where he had NFI what was going on. Our rucks are pretty poor overall, really. Nicholls would be good if he weren't injured every game though.

Agree with our rucks.. If none of Nicholls or Smith stay fit and have a decent season in 2015 id expect the Suns to chase someone like sam Jacobs at the next trade period

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, GS Warriors
Agree with our rucks.. If none of Nicholls or Smith stay fit and have a decent season in 2015 id expect the Suns to chase someone like sam Jacobs at the next trade period

I find that extremely unlikely. I would actually bet that doesn't happen.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,

ZeJackal

Senior List
May 4, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Am I right in saying the club hasn't pre listed any of our academy players , I see Brissy have pre lkisted Hammelmen . Thought the club may Rookie Pruess but seems unlikely now.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Well we don't have first pick for one
there was an article a few weeks back explaining it a bit more. if i recall correctly, since we have no veterans, at his age/experience(?) we can list him on the rookie list yet he doesn't need to be elevated to get game time. in addition, he can set his salary, which would probably be around the same as what he was on in 2014. most other clubs can't afford to have a $250,000 player sitting on their rookie list with no game time.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I find that extremely unlikely. I would actually bet that doesn't happen.

So say we make top 4-6 and play finals in 2014
Nicholls plays 8 games and misses the rest Smith about the same, Through injuries
I wouldn't want to go into 2016 which we'd be right in our PRIME age bracket for a premiership tilt with 2 24-26 yr old ruckman who -

A. Can't stay on the field (through injuries)
B. Zach Smith has never been the same since his first season. 4 years ago
C. Even Nicholls looks lost and lazy in half his games!
D. We won't go far using Day, Dixon or thompson if they need to ruck 10 games a season.
Rucks are our last weak link in the chain.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
there was an article a few weeks back explaining it a bit more. if i recall correctly, since we have no veterans, at his age/experience(?) we can list him on the rookie list yet he doesn't need to be elevated to get game time. in addition, he can set his salary, which would probably be around the same as what he was on in 2014. most other clubs can't afford to have a $250,000 player sitting on their rookie list with no game time.
O ok, just as long as no other club snaps him up

Back