List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't use recent drafts as have to give them 3/4 years at least to see what everyone has... Let's use 2007/8/9 as examples... Plenty of time to see what each player has...

Top 6 picks, kreuzer, Morton, yarran, watts, scully, trengrove

Vs

Picks 7- 20+
Beams, dangerfield, rich, hanneberry, Carlisle, rioli, callan ward and nat fyfe

I know which pool I'd rather pick from.

As I said there will be superstars available at our pick...

Actually you can because clubs have refined their selections so guys like dangerfield don't slip or Ward . How about these top picks Martin, Cotch , Bontempelli, I know which pool I would rather pick

Has the most upside out of all the mids in the draft, I'd take him is we had pick 1, but will be gone by our pick unfortunately. Draft combine will put him top 5

Can't see him near top 5 and level(s) below others thereabouts IMO.

Get Ahern, he is handy but means list hasn't really progressed in terms of a real jolt so have to trade out players to shift your window out again because list will not be good enough quick enough really IMO.

Looks like we will go past Gold Coast and West Coast plus Melbourne extra pick means we do not get much at all,

Get a really solid player to build a list but miss out on a potential gun like a Heppell to really add a competitive advantage over other teams

Last edited:
Personally I find Laverde to be slightly overrated and I think that Duggan has more upside over him. Already this season Duggan has shown he can win games of his own boot and whilst Laverde can create a spark and offers us speed and spread which we are lacking, I think we are also lacking a match winner which Duggan is. Make no mistake Duggan is a midfielder and had he played their during the championship he would ranked a lot higher in the rankings by poster on here, he is very similar to Josh Kelly from last years draft and I expect that he will start to win over more fans as the Western Jets head into the finals.

As for Weller I struggle to think of a better ball user in this years draft but not only does he use it well he is also extremely clean with the ball and is strong overhead for his size. My only concern with him is his lack of height which if we had a tall midfield I wouldn't be concerned but that isn't the case. Personally think that he is in someways a victim of playing in Queensland, if he were Victorian or South Australian he would have a much bigger following on here.

Really interesting observations Tomnat Tigers. I've been leaning to Laverde due to potential upside. His ceiling is potentially as a 189/190 cm 90kg very quick mid/hff who can take contested marks and turn games. His base might be a 189/190cm 90kg hff/hbf who can rotate onto the wing, be solid overhead and have decent impact with 15-20 possies. What could Laverde, Lennon, Dustin and JR do in the same forward line together???

At my next preference I am thinking Ahern. Excellent pace and developing an all round game. I think his draft camp will be a big part of where he goes. If he blitzes the speed tests and does well in the aerobic endurance tests you'd have to consider given our needs.

Duggan - I like his quick feet, drive and have heard good things about his left foot (however i saw him use it poorly in what i saw of his last champs game) but am worried that he is too one sided. I just keep thinking Bachar Houli upgrade :-S

This is what Duggan can do when played through the guts.

Obviously its not the greatest of opposition but you can see that he just has so much more time on the ball and is much cleaner with the ball than others.

24 second mark. Huge kick for a 16 year old (at the time).

Just because I really want to keep reading this thread, who do people like or think will be around about at our second round pick?

I think we should start by bidding for Stretch -Father son links with Melbourne. If we get him great but more likely MFC push the Father son button with their second pick.

after that gets a bit interesting . Don't mind Garlett later but not sure there isn't better options in the twenties. Need to view more highlights to assess properly!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should start by bidding for Stretch -Father son links with Melbourne. If we get him great but more likely MFC push the Father son button with their second pick.

after that gets a bit interesting . Don't mind Garlett later but not sure there isn't better options in the twenties. Need to view more highlights to assess properly!

What sort of player is Stretch?

Patty McCartin goes alright, but don't really know what we need atm. I reckon were covered Backs, mids maybe need another KPF or a rebounding HB similar to Lids

We would have to bid our first round pick to force Melbourne to use their second. Hes a player in the 25-40 range IMO, so let someone else bid for him. Melbourne will get him in the third round IMO, because no one with their head screwed on will bid a first rounder for him and an early second rounder is probably paying too much also.

We would have to bid our first round pick to force Melbourne to use their second. Hes a player in the 25-40 range IMO, so let someone else bid for him. Melbourne will get him in the third round IMO, because no one with their head screwed on will bid a first rounder for him and an early second rounder is probably paying too much also.

So basically what you're saying is that it'd be a bit of a stretch.....
rimshot.gif

Yeah I was thinking that myself. That might be why phantoms have got him at MFC third round pick.

GWS or St Kilda could nearly bid for him with their 2nd round pick IMO.

Stretch is not near good enough for our first round pick IMO

I just did the ladder predictor and think we will finish above WCE and have pick 8.
This isnt a bad thing
1: we obviously win a few more games.
2: WCE may look over a gun Vic kid to get a WA kid because of the go home factor.
WCE will always try and draft a top WA with their top pick ala Sheed last year.
In 2012 they had pick 18 but traded it for Wellingham so their first pick was 45 and picked a WA kid.
In 2011 the picked Murray Newman with pick 23...again a WA kid.
2010 they picked Gaff from Vic but picked Darlind who is from WA at pick 26.

Just because I really want to keep reading this thread, who do people like or think will be around about at our second round pick?

I have a couple of players who I like for our second round pick though its impossible to tell who will be available come the day the of the draft. Tom Lamb may be a player available come our second pick though he could also go top 10 depending on how he finishes the year. It should be said that he has had a good year at TAC cup level but his championship have put a lot of question marks next to his name. Those question marks being his attitude (can let his head drop) and his ability to get into games when things aren't going his way, cause when things are going his way he is exciting and really impacts games. He is not too dissimilar to Laverde and finds more ball than Laverde but can lack the composure at crucial moments. So if you want Laverde then Lamb may be good alternative if he is still available come our second pick.

Other players I like are Dean Gore and Touk Miller who are both inside midfielders but are very different to one another. Gore is more of a bull who uses his strength to win clearances and does it to good effect however whether that will translate to AFL will be the question. His disposal is good but not great and he can hit the scoreboard, and from what i've seen he is strong overhead. Miller on the other hand is a quick agile inside mid and reminds of Daniel Kerr. He impacts the scoreboard, generally uses the ball very well and can kick the ball 50/60 metres with relative ease when kicking for goal on the run. The main problem I have with him is his lack of height but other than that I can't find to many faults with his game.

Another player I'm interested in is Peter Bampton who I've yet to see but from what I've read he is player who will catch my eye once I do get a chance to see some footage of his.

Another player I'm interested in is Peter Bampton who I've yet to see but from what I've read he is player who will catch my eye once I do get a chance to see some footage of his.

When the match is on the line he comes alive - I want him to show us the way.:thumbsu:

got to make the draft more like the american ones. so you can trade right up until the pick is taken and trading future picks. Makes it more exciting and teams can go more for players they like. Like when Grundy slipped having teams go for a pick to get him in the teens, a club could have made out very nicely on that.

I just did the ladder predictor and think we will finish above WCE and have pick 8.
This isnt a bad thing
1: we obviously win a few more games.
2: WCE may look over a gun Vic kid to get a WA kid because of the go home factor.
WCE will always try and draft a top WA with their top pick ala Sheed last year.
In 2012 they had pick 18 but traded it for Wellingham so their first pick was 45 and picked a WA kid.
In 2011 the picked Murray Newman with pick 23...again a WA kid.
2010 they picked Gaff from Vic but picked Darlind who is from WA at pick 26.
they will pick pickett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back