Opinion 2014 Draft ( Live discussion ) Mod notice post #6629

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me a cynic but perhaps Melbourne don't really expect to receive a priority pick AND Band 1 compensation for losing Frawley. It would be a shrewd move to ask for both and then act disappointed when the AFL 'compromises' and only awards the club Band 1 comp.

Maybe Melbourne know this to be possible so that Priority Pick call was there to leverage a band 1 out of the AFL.

I think most would accept this sooner than to accept Melbourne being gifted a pick #4.
I hope the AFL is smart enough to tell the to get ****ed on all forms of compensation.

Because it's based on money and contract length. Not actual performance.

Any system which encourages a team not to sign their players is a flawed system. No way Melbourne want Frawley to stay.
You're right, it is based on money/contract length/age of the player. The surprising thing would be if someone actually payed him that much given his output.

You're right, it is based on money/contract length/age of the player. The surprising thing would be if someone actually payed him that much given his output.
I think the only reason someone will is because there is a race for his signature. Although I'm not sure why there would be after this year. Whilst you could say his form has dropped due to checking out of Melbourne mentally, do you really want to spend that sort of money on a player who actually does that?

I hope the AFL is smart enough to tell the to get ****** on all forms of compensation.

This, this and this!
Why would the AFL reward incompetence?
And we all know that one extra draft pick really isn't going to make that much of a difference for the Demons.

**** 'em!

This, this and this!
And we all know that one extra draft pick really isn't going to make that much of a difference for the Demons.

**** 'em!
Especially with Melbourne openly stating that would be more than happy to trade any first round picks!
The idea that a club can use a pick designed to help their club to poach established players from other clubs just doesn't sit right with me. Imagine if - HYPOTHETICALLY - Melbourne traded their priority pick AND Band 1 compo to GWS for Boyd just prior to him signing with Carlton during trade month. Or even pre-injured Patton to the Dogs. To me, that runs contrary to the notion of fairness in footy.

This, this and this!

**** 'em!
If the AFL give them a PP, they're essentially giving them access to another talent young kid to ruin forever.

It's just a waste.

Especially with Melbourne openly stating that would be more than happy to trade any first round picks!
The idea that a club can use a pick designed to help their club to poach established players from other clubs just doesn't sit right with me. Imagine if - HYPOTHETICALLY - Melbourne traded their priority pick AND Band 1 compo to GWS for Boyd just prior to him signing with Carlton during trade month. Or even pre-injured Patton to the Dogs. To me, that runs contrary to the notion of fairness in footy.

I just wonder if the AFL did that, whether they would stipulate they can't trade the pick and it had to be used in the draft.
It really does not sit right with me that the AFL would hand them a PP when it was their own stuff up after stuff up that got them into this mess to start with.

I just wonder if the AFL did that, whether they would stipulate they can't trade the pick and it had to be used in the draft.
It really does not sit right with me that the AFL would hand them a PP when it was their own stuff up after stuff up that got them into this mess to start with.
Serious question - can anyone suggest alternative incentives the AFL could offer Melbourne in place of PPs etc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So will Petracca ;)

It does seem likely he'll end up there. Just cannot see how St.Kilda can pass on McCartin who may not be the best player in the draft, but he's exactly what they need. No way Melbourne will let Petracca get past them.

Maybe Petracca will throw his interview? He's a Richmond supporter but he won't be getting there now.

He doesn't need to say he refuses to go to Melbourne or whatever. But he can just act like a total tool in the interview.

Maybe Petracca will throw his interview? He's a Richmond supporter but he won't be getting there now.

He doesn't need to say he refuses to go to Melbourne or whatever. But he can just act like a total tool in the interview.

He could try it, but not sure Melbourne would be put off by it.
At least he would get to stay in Melbourne, and not have to move to Western Sydney or Brisbane.

I reckon GWS will trade with Melbourne, as they did last year, to get the earlier pick to snap up Petracca.

Does anyone think the the Lions may be an outside chance against Freo. I mean

1) Fremantle are not adverse to resting players in the lead up to the finals esp against lower ranked teams (e.g St. Kilda rd 23 2013 (loss)).
2) The WA-> would have to be the longest road trip in Australia, and they will be paying a day game (1.10 start)
3) They play Port the next week. Will they want to expose senior players to a long rd trip, HOT temps and a 6 day break before the Port game ???
4) They have Fyfe possibly suspended and Barlow out with a broken thumb.
5) Lions are playing some decent football.
6) There seems to be at least 1 upset each rd this season.

If so then very well finish 15th, with Lions and Bulldogs beating Freo and GWS respectively to leap frog us.

Does anyone think the the Lions may be an outside chance against Freo. I mean

1) Fremantle are not adverse to resting players in the lead up to the finals esp against lower ranked teams (e.g St. Kilda rd 23 2013 (loss)).
2) The WA-> would have to be the longest road trip in Australia, and they will be paying a day game (1.10 start)
3) They play Port the next week. Will they want to expose senior players to a long rd trip, HOT temps and a 6 day break before the Port game ???
4) They have Fyfe possibly suspended and Barlow out with a broken thumb.
5) Lions are playing some decent football.
6) There seems to be at least 1 upset each rd this season.

If so then very well finish 15th, with Lions and Bulldogs beating Freo and GWS respectively to leap frog us.

I would say we are a better chance of beating Port or Essendon then Brisbane winning against Freo or Geelong, but you never know??

I don't believe the Dees will get a band 1 compo for Frawley. I believe Frawley will only be interested in going to Geelong, Hawks or Pies, who will all have salary cap considerations, and the deal will likely come in under $600K per year which should be band2 compensation (end of 1st round).

It is highly likely that we will end up with pick 5. :) I am not sure what this gives us, as I still see the top 4 as Petracca, Wright, McCartin, Brayshaw.

It may mean that we can absolutely secure Laverde, who I rate as a top 5 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back