Opinion 2014 Draft ( Live discussion ) Mod notice post #6629

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a chance Collingwood won't take Moore, the fans are already excited about him and the backlash would be fiery.
Collingwood will probably take him if someone bids - but will a team before Collingwood actually bid?

Thats a reason I think Collingwood will bid.

Carlton and the Doggies then need to think about if they'll bid their high firsts for the 3rd best tall in the draft.

Who knows what our plans are for our first pick ??
Love your work on the HTB IanW , you may well be the most hated poster on BF amongst efc* fans ... A great achievement and no higher honour !!

Thats a reason I think Collingwood will bid.

Carlton and the Doggies then need to think about if they'll bid their high firsts for the 3rd best tall in the draft.

Love your work on the HTB IanW , you may well be the most hated poster on BF amongst efc* fans ... A great achievement and no higher honour !!

Carlton seem to me to need a forward target, as do St Kilda, Melbourne and the Doggies. Thats four teams before Collingwood that need KPFs, and the "consensus top four" is McCartin, Wright, Petracca and Brayshaw.

Carlton's downside is using pick 6 on the third-best KPF. More likely, they force Collingwood to match, at which point Carlton shrug their shoulders and decide between dealing with GWS for Jaksch etc, or trying to do a player-and-pick deal with Melbourne, St Kilda or GWS, doing something left-field like trading for Dangerfield, or just taking Best Player Available.

Yeah. I am hated by Hirdites ... I cant even see their board any more ;)

I for one have not watched one minute of TAC cup, national championships or even you tube clips but if Moore is rated ball park top ten I think Collingwood will take him. Tough sell to Collingwood members if a rated son of a browblow winner starts tearing it up in the navy blue. I think we should bid just to spite the black and white it would give me great joy as a Carlton fan to screw them over. You have to take your joy where you can as a Blues fan these days.

Collingwood have done everything in there power to ensure Moore falls to there second, they've played at full back on the bench on the wing in the forward line, but his talent continues to shine through. They have simple invested too much into him (recovery at the Westpac centre) not to take him.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Collingwood media go nuts in the next couple of weeks suggesting he's no good and Collingwood will pass on him, just to wring out the final hopes that they may get him for a second rounder.

I'd be happy taking Moore with our first pick. Would be livid if Collingwood got him for a 2nd round pick.

Same I think we'd do very well to get Moore with our first pick.
TBH we should get involved in some draft tampering, go to Collingwood and say what's it worth to you for us not to bid on Moore.

Same I think we'd do very well to get Moore with our first pick.
TBH we should get involved in some draft tampering, go to Collingwood and say what's it worth to you for us not to bid on Moore.

Not too different to what Coll did with WCE last year.

Coll upgraded a pick from 11 to 6, in exchange for giving WCE some more picks lower down. WCE got their man (Sheed) @ 11, presumably knowing Coll wouldn't pick him @ #10...

Back to this year, and a deal with Coll (feels dirty thinking about it) would rely on knowing dogs/others were not willing to bid their first picks.

Not too different to what Coll did with WCE last year.

Coll upgraded a pick from 11 to 6, in exchange for giving WCE some more picks lower down. WCE got their man (Sheed) @ 11, presumably knowing Coll wouldn't pick him @ #10...

So what do you think it would be worth to them?
assume they would have to apply the same deal to the bulldogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what do you think it would be worth to them?
assume they would have to apply the same deal to the bulldogs

Hard to negotiate. They are effectively upgrading their 2nd round pick to a 1st round pick. Pretty bloody big benefit.

You'd have to split the benefit at least in half to 'pay off' each of the blues and dogs.

Their first is off limits, their 2nd is used for Moore, which means it's really only 3rd and 4th they can use. The doggies get the higher payoff because they are more likely to bid with their worse pick.

Given their picks are just after ours and the doggies, each team would have to get a 'round upgrade'. Would have to be packaged with a player so as to make it legitimate. Don't think it would work unless the Pies acquire more picks in 2-3rd round.

Hard to negotiate. They are effectively upgrading their 2nd round pick to a 1st round pick. Pretty bloody big benefit.

You'd have to split the benefit at least in half to 'pay off' each of the blues and dogs.

Their first is off limits, their 2nd is used for Moore, which means it's really only 3rd and 4th they can use. The doggies get the higher payoff because they are more likely to bid with their worse pick.

Given their picks are just after ours and the doggies, each team would have to get a 'round upgrade'. Would have to be packaged with a player so as to make it legitimate. Don't think it would work unless the Pies acquire more picks in 2-3rd round.

what about a Kyle Martin type mock trade

Anyone got a feel for Caleb Daniels, haven't seen him feature well in any of the phantoms, I thought he'd be worth a late second rounder but I'm no draft expert.
I just think he has the tools to succeed at afl level regardless of his height, also it'd be nice for HBF to be the second shortest person involved with carlton ;)

Anyone got a feel for Caleb Daniels, haven't seen him feature well in any of the phantoms, I thought he'd be worth a late second rounder but I'm no draft expert.
I just think he has the tools to succeed at afl level regardless of his height, also it'd be nice for HBF to be the second shortest person involved with carlton ;)
Will probably go to Brisbane and win the rising star!

I have also been meaning to ask. I know nothing beyond his highlights and player bios, but kid CAN play.

Obviously height is the major limitation, but Brent Harvey is ~170cm.

I doubt he will go second round, but worth a punt with a later pick. IF he can play AFL at all, he'll be very good. No?

Edit: Trying to find precedents - David Rodan was pick #33 in 2001 ND (after back-to-back Morrish Medals), Jake Neade (AA/U18) was packaged with Hombsch for pick #28 in 2012 ND (hard to ascertain standalone value).

Last edited:
what about a Kyle Martin type mock trade

I could do it if I knew what Martin was worth under normal circumstances. All I know is he is great @ VFL level, but can't crack AFL squad. Is a rookie. Give me a market value for him and I'll think of a Darcy Moore quid pro quo trade.

I have also been meaning to ask. I know nothing beyond his highlights and player bios, but kid CAN play.

Obviously height is the major limitation, but Brent Harvey is ~170cm.

I doubt he will go second round, but worth a punt with a later pick. IF he can play AFL at all, he'll be very good. No?

Edit: Trying to find precedents - David Rodan was pick #33 in 2001 ND (after back-to-back Morrish Medals), Jake Neade (AA/U18) was packaged with Hombsch for pick #28 in 2012 ND (hard to ascertain standalone value).
I don't know much about the kid, but to succeed at that height you have to excel in a few areas. Taller guys can get by on one outstanding attribute, but these fleas need to do multiple things well. If he can do that he'll be every chance. There's a reason why guys that small aren't commonplace.

I don't know much about the kid, but to succeed at that height you have to excel in a few areas. Taller guys can get by on one outstanding attribute, but these fleas need to do multiple things well. If he can do that he'll be every chance. There's a reason why guys that small aren't commonplace.

he does everything well. probably not elite pace and height is an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back