Opinion 2014 Draft ( Live discussion ) Mod notice post #6629

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well and truly getting a pick somewhere between 6 & 10 now.
If we can find performances like we achieved against North then maybe we're not as badly placed as what we thought we were.

Bar the top 3 the rest seem to be pretty even. Should get a good one still. Top 3 is good but other drafts seem to have stronger top 3s. i.e. McCartin isn't as big a standout as Boyd. No clear number 1 pick. Might not be the year to have a top 3-4 pick anyway.

Bar the top 3 the rest seem to be pretty even. Should get a good one still. Top 3 is good but other drafts seem to have stronger top 3s. i.e. McCartin isn't as big a standout as Boyd. No clear number 1 pick. Might not be the year to have a top 3-4 pick anyway.

IMO the top 5 pick themselves - what I don't know is the order that they'll go in. Brayshaw aside, I think the other 4 have legitimate claims on being the No.1 selection in November.

More class ball users if the phantoms are correct with their rankings of Marchbank, Lever and Goddard as pick ten or later. Reckon we would love to slot in a player like Ahern, Laverde or Duggan. Another silky player who can hit up a target and win the ball. Favour taller mids and flankers.

Last edited:
More class ball users if the phantoms are correct with their rankings of Marchbank, Lever and Goddard as pick ten or later. Reckon we would love to slot in a player like Ahern, Laverde or Duggan. Another silky player who can hit up a target and win the ball. Favour taller mids and flankers.

Lachie Wellar would come in to contention if you want another class user of the footy through the midfield.
Lukas Webb is a beautifully balanced left footer that kicked 4 goals against WA at Etihad a couple of weeks ago.

Reckon Webb might still be there should we hang on to our second round selection.

Knightmares more recent comments concerning Carlton in the upcoming draft -

"Sam Durdin, Caleb Marchbank and Hugh Goddard are all names I imagine Carlton have high on their draft board as quality talls. Durdin if there would be my guess."

"Sam Durdin as a key position player I have going around Carlton's likely draft selection and next update will probably be the guy I give to Carlton with Goddard probably going somewhere more around pick 10 and Keitel probably early second round."

#5 Carlton –Sam Durdin (SA – KPF/KPD)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 06/06/1996
Recruited from: West Adelaide
Style:
Player comparison: Jake Carlisle
Range: 2-10
Profile: Durdin is the better of the key position players available this year. He’s got the versatility to play forward or back to a high standard. He’s an excellent mover for a key position player with his athleticism and mobility at his height. He’s also one of the best users of the footy for a key position player you’ll find with his footskills excellent. He’s an excellent reader of the play and reads the flight of the ball as well as any. He’s a very strong mark overhead and has the ability at the highest point to clunk his marks but then also has the co-ordination below the knees and the ability at ground level to make him a real threat. It will be interesting to see whether he develops into a key forward or key defender, he has the ability to do either and do either well so that will be something to watch with interest.

#7 Western Bulldogs – Hugh Goddard (VIC – KPF/KPD)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 93kg, DOB: 24/08/1996
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Style:
Player comparison: Sam Day
Range: 5-20
Profile: Goddard is one of top group of key position players this year and has the ability to play both forward and back well. He’s got exceptional pace, agility and an excellent leap as well as a strong build and physical edge for his age. He’s a strong but not dominant mark overhead, on the lead, in the air and at times can beat his guy 1v1. He has a long kick for his age and can kick goals from 55m no problem. He also has some but only average ability at ground level. There is just that little bit of something dominant missing to his game and he lacks that point of difference that the other premier key forwards in the competition have and doesn’t have that same feel that he’ll go off as a goalkicking threat like those other real high end key forwards have which is why I rate him slightly lower than the other very top key position players this year. As a forward Goddard in the TAC can kick three goals a game every week but it’s almost always a quiet three goals. He just doesn’t feel like he’s going to take over games and you don’t really notice his impact as more a component to winning rather than a centrepiece and a reason for winning. I wouldn’t draft Goddard expecting him to become the number one option up forward but as a number two option he’d be an excellent get and can go on and have a very strong career. As a key defender Goddard also can really play and this is the other option for the club drafting Goddard where he’s shown that down back he can quell his direct opponents influence with his discipline and with his physical attributes as a guy with an excellent mix of size and athleticism he’d be a good fit in any back half and while he’s more a negating type who won’t take a whole lot of intercept marks he can with his pace at times take on the game and use his footskills to find targets up the field so he as he does up forward have the scope to be a strong contributor.

#9 Adelaide – Caleb Marchbank (VIC – KPD)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 12/07/1996
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Style: Brian Lake
Player comparison:
Range: 5-25
Profile: Marchbank is one of the high level key defenders this year. He’s an excellent rebounder with his ability to read the flight of the ball, get to the drop zone and take the intercept mark excellent as well as having that awareness for when he can and can’t leave his opponent. He’s got really strong hands overhead and doesn’t drop his marks. He’s also a very good 1v1 mark. As a stopper Marchbank can beat his man and has the strength to compete with the stronger key forwards and either take the mark 1v1 or get the spoil in. He’s not a star athlete but athletically he’s fine and has the pace, agility and leap to go with most forwards. He’s a capable kick from the back half and can find his targets up the field as an efficient user of the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knightmares more recent comments concerning Carlton in the upcoming draft -

"Sam Durdin, Caleb Marchbank and Hugh Goddard are all names I imagine Carlton have high on their draft board as quality talls. Durdin if there would be my guess."

"Sam Durdin as a key position player I have going around Carlton's likely draft selection and next update will probably be the guy I give to Carlton with Goddard probably going somewhere more around pick 10 and Keitel probably early second round."

#5 Carlton –Sam Durdin (SA – KPF/KPD)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 06/06/1996
Recruited from: West Adelaide
Style:
Player comparison: Jake Carlisle
Range: 2-10
Profile: Durdin is the better of the key position players available this year. He’s got the versatility to play forward or back to a high standard. He’s an excellent mover for a key position player with his athleticism and mobility at his height. He’s also one of the best users of the footy for a key position player you’ll find with his footskills excellent. He’s an excellent reader of the play and reads the flight of the ball as well as any. He’s a very strong mark overhead and has the ability at the highest point to clunk his marks but then also has the co-ordination below the knees and the ability at ground level to make him a real threat. It will be interesting to see whether he develops into a key forward or key defender, he has the ability to do either and do either well so that will be something to watch with interest.

#7 Western Bulldogs – Hugh Goddard (VIC – KPF/KPD)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 93kg, DOB: 24/08/1996
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Style:
Player comparison: Sam Day
Range: 5-20
Profile: Goddard is one of top group of key position players this year and has the ability to play both forward and back well. He’s got exceptional pace, agility and an excellent leap as well as a strong build and physical edge for his age. He’s a strong but not dominant mark overhead, on the lead, in the air and at times can beat his guy 1v1. He has a long kick for his age and can kick goals from 55m no problem. He also has some but only average ability at ground level. There is just that little bit of something dominant missing to his game and he lacks that point of difference that the other premier key forwards in the competition have and doesn’t have that same feel that he’ll go off as a goalkicking threat like those other real high end key forwards have which is why I rate him slightly lower than the other very top key position players this year. As a forward Goddard in the TAC can kick three goals a game every week but it’s almost always a quiet three goals. He just doesn’t feel like he’s going to take over games and you don’t really notice his impact as more a component to winning rather than a centrepiece and a reason for winning. I wouldn’t draft Goddard expecting him to become the number one option up forward but as a number two option he’d be an excellent get and can go on and have a very strong career. As a key defender Goddard also can really play and this is the other option for the club drafting Goddard where he’s shown that down back he can quell his direct opponents influence with his discipline and with his physical attributes as a guy with an excellent mix of size and athleticism he’d be a good fit in any back half and while he’s more a negating type who won’t take a whole lot of intercept marks he can with his pace at times take on the game and use his footskills to find targets up the field so he as he does up forward have the scope to be a strong contributor.

#9 Adelaide – Caleb Marchbank (VIC – KPD)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 12/07/1996
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Style: Brian Lake
Player comparison:
Range: 5-25
Profile: Marchbank is one of the high level key defenders this year. He’s an excellent rebounder with his ability to read the flight of the ball, get to the drop zone and take the intercept mark excellent as well as having that awareness for when he can and can’t leave his opponent. He’s got really strong hands overhead and doesn’t drop his marks. He’s also a very good 1v1 mark. As a stopper Marchbank can beat his man and has the strength to compete with the stronger key forwards and either take the mark 1v1 or get the spoil in. He’s not a star athlete but athletically he’s fine and has the pace, agility and leap to go with most forwards. He’s a capable kick from the back half and can find his targets up the field as an efficient user of the footy.

I don't see any of these 3 as top ten picks. With Heeney and Moore going FS, 1 or 2 of them may drift into the top 10 by default.

The draft IMO has 3 gun mids (Petracca, Heeney, Bradshaw) and 3 gun talls (McCartin, Moore, Wright), after that it is really throw the blanket stuff. None of the above will be available for us , so it will really be a matter of need.

I am an advocate of taking the less risky pick with our 1st. IMO this would rule out Durdin, (4-5 years of development with question marks over how good he can actually be??) You are picking purely on potential.. no thanks. I can understand GWS of GC investing the time, or another club that does not have a lot of pressing needs.

Knightmare says that Goodard has exceptional pace? I don't see it that way. Will be interested to see his 20 metre sprint times. IMO does not have the speed of the mark to be a gun KPP. He reminds me of a taller, slightly more athletic version of Laidler. Bit of a stretch at pick 6-7.

Marchbank has the runs on the board, I am going to reserve my judgment for while before I decide whether he is a genuine top 10.

I am still on the Laverde bandwagon. I think pick 5-10 is his right place in this draft class. I think he can have an immediate impact on the HBF/ wing and within a few years shift into the midfield. Keen to see his endurance testing and kicking results at the camp. His speed, leap and agility is of the charts.

I will be also closely watching Duggan, Ahern and Marchbank, who are also in the 5-10 range IMO

Would it be too suspicious if we sent Gibbs, Murphy, Henderson, Yarran, Jamison and Thomas off for surgery ??? Appendectomies all round if a legit opp cannot be identified !!!!!! They don't need an appendix, and I would give my left nut for another star player so surely some players can lose an appendix or two !!!!!!!!!!

I told you guys that we needed to send off Gibbs (27 D, 5 tackles, 7 clearances, 3 I50, 2 R50 and 2 goals), Murphy (26 D, 6 clearances, 5 I50), Yarran (22 D, 5 tackles, 2 clearances, 3 I50, 2 R50), Jamison and Thomas off for surgery if we were going to have a shot at a top 3 pick !!!!!!!!!!!! And you guys laughted at me because we would lose our games "un-assissted" ......... o_O:drunk::oops::p

In all seriousness any update on the kids over the weekend ??? Is there a new bandwagon to jump on ???

Well and truly getting a pick somewhere between 6 & 10 now.
If we can find performances like we achieved against North then maybe we're not as badly placed as what we thought we were.
Amazing how even we look when we have players not in the team who are either half fit, horribly out of form, slow and have next to zero impact.

Amazing how even we look when we have players not in the team who are either half fit, horribly out of form, slow and have next to zero impact.

I wonder if we might see a changing of the guard over the next 5 weeks with senior players missing out and younger players coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back