List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

A few things have changed in my draft, with Fremantle having three new picks...

15. Fremantle - Jordan DeGoey (187cm, 82kg midfielder from Oakleigh Chargers, VIC)
34. Fremantle - Jake Johansen (171cm, 63kg midfielder/forward from South Adelaide, SA)
53. Fremantle - Jesse Watchman (196cm, 94kg forward from West Adelaide, SA)

This would be perfect positionally I think: a big mid, a small forward and a tall, assuming they are ~BPA at each position. Need to start looking at Mundy/Ballantyne/everyone over 192cm replacements.

Chris do you think that Watchman could develop in to a KPB at all? What's his mobility like? Also would like us to rookie Daniel from SA, he could be a good pocket rocket. Its been a while since we have drafted a pacey small. Lachie Neale doesn't really have that explosive pace.

If we are still after a speedy back pocket in the R.Hayden mould, Ryan Lim could be a go i reckon in the 2nd/3rd round.. has been excellent in the Claremont colts for 2 years and really excelled for WA in the carnival this year, played more as a running half back.. but i think has the tools to play that attacking BP who can stick to the fastest small fowards. I reckon RTB would love him too.. works extremely hard on the defensive side/tackling as well as running with the ball and using it.

Chris do you think that Watchman could develop in to a KPB at all? What's his mobility like? Also would like us to rookie Daniel from SA, he could be a good pocket rocket. Its been a while since we have drafted a pacey small. Lachie Neale doesn't really have that explosive pace.
Tag Chris by putting a @ in front of his username as you're typing it into your post... and then pick it out from the list of names that come up underneath.

Like this... Chris25

Hey guys, not sure if theres another thread for this so feel free to delete this one if there is!!
Anyway, I was wondering how you guys think we're going to go in this draft, which supposedly fits plenty of talls, which could be handy!!! However when I started thinking about it, I was wondering just how many key-forwards we can afford on our list, as Peel is already - Too Tall.
What type of players do you guys think we'd be drafting with each pick, and any examples would be handy, if you've got a short description or profile handy, BE SURE TO POST!!
One player interesting me is Tyler Keitel, description from Paiges draft.
Pick 19: Essendon – Tyler Keitel (end of first round compensation)

Position: Key forward/defender
Height: 194 cm, Weight: 80 kg, DOB: 07/02/1996
Club: East Perth
Projected Draft Range: 15-25
Plays Like: Taylor Walker

Super versatile, Tyler Keitel (pronounced ky-tel) showed signs in last year’s National Championships as a bottom-aged player that he had all the makings of becoming a first round pick this year. So far he looks like delivering on those predictions, especially since adding six kilograms to his 2013 playing weight and growing three centimetres. At 194 cm, Keitel has torn apart the WAFL Colts for East Perth, kicking 14 goals from six games thus far, however he’s shown scope in pushing down back where his physicality and discipline make him a great wild card in any coach’s arsenal. My big tick for Keitel is his cleanness overhead, particularly under pressure. He takes the ball at its highest point, and importantly has clean and safe hands at full extension on the lead. He understands how to use his body in a marking situation, and bodies up nicely to protect the drop of the ball. Keitel is the type of forward who can take a vintage pack mark, often clunking them when at times he looks out-positioned, and has that Hollywood swagger that makes him a real cult figure. He also doesn’t mind getting a bit higher up the ground in that true centre half forward role. In terms of his set shots, he has a clean and simple technique and with good delivery can really do justice on the scoreboard, however at the National Championships he has only kicked goals in one out of his three games so far. It’s quite probable Keitel could make a bolt up the draft order if he continues to have a big influence like he has at National Championship level. Currently from his three games, he is averaging 16.3 disposals at 70%, one goal, 7.3 marks and five contested possessions.

Anyway please put up ideas for possible draft picks.

Hey guys, not sure if theres another thread for this so feel free to delete this one if there is!!
Anyway, I was wondering how you guys think we're going to go in this draft, which supposedly fits plenty of talls, which could be handy!!! However when I started thinking about it, I was wondering just how many key-forwards we can afford on our list, as Peel is already - Too Tall.
What type of players do you guys think we'd be drafting with each pick, and any examples would be handy, if you've got a short description or profile handy, BE SURE TO POST!!
One player interesting me is Tyler Keitel, description from Paiges draft.
Pick 19: Essendon – Tyler Keitel (end of first round compensation)

Position: Key forward/defender
Height: 194 cm, Weight: 80 kg, DOB: 07/02/1996
Club: East Perth
Projected Draft Range: 15-25
Plays Like: Taylor Walker

Super versatile, Tyler Keitel (pronounced ky-tel) showed signs in last year’s National Championships as a bottom-aged player that he had all the makings of becoming a first round pick this year. So far he looks like delivering on those predictions, especially since adding six kilograms to his 2013 playing weight and growing three centimetres. At 194 cm, Keitel has torn apart the WAFL Colts for East Perth, kicking 14 goals from six games thus far, however he’s shown scope in pushing down back where his physicality and discipline make him a great wild card in any coach’s arsenal. My big tick for Keitel is his cleanness overhead, particularly under pressure. He takes the ball at its highest point, and importantly has clean and safe hands at full extension on the lead. He understands how to use his body in a marking situation, and bodies up nicely to protect the drop of the ball. Keitel is the type of forward who can take a vintage pack mark, often clunking them when at times he looks out-positioned, and has that Hollywood swagger that makes him a real cult figure. He also doesn’t mind getting a bit higher up the ground in that true centre half forward role. In terms of his set shots, he has a clean and simple technique and with good delivery can really do justice on the scoreboard, however at the National Championships he has only kicked goals in one out of his three games so far. It’s quite probable Keitel could make a bolt up the draft order if he continues to have a big influence like he has at National Championship level. Currently from his three games, he is averaging 16.3 disposals at 70%, one goal, 7.3 marks and five contested possessions.

Anyway please put up ideas for possible draft picks.

Keitel for me is more suited to back than forward, but alot of people who would disagree. But I can't see him sliding to our first pick. Similar to Mcpharlin.

Possible pick for our first pick are: Conner Blakely 187 midfielder similar to Mundy, C Smith 178 small forward/back/midfielder similar to Bryon Pickett (loves to hurt), Jordan De Goey 187cm midfielder/forward creative, good mark and kicks goals, Tom Lamb 192 midfielder/half back tall, quick, and skillful.

Possible Second Round pick: Jarrod Garlett outside midfielder who has toe, clever, takes on the game, Dylan Winton 191 half back/midfield not quick but knows to where to run to and good overhead and skills,

Keitel for me is more suited to back than forward, but alot of people who would disagree. But I can't see him sliding to our first pick. Similar to Mcpharlin.

Possible pick for our first pick are: Conner Blakely 187 midfielder similar to Mundy, C Smith 178 small forward/back/midfielder similar to Bryon Pickett (loves to hurt), Jordan De Goey 187cm midfielder/forward creative, good mark and kicks goals, Tom Lamb 192 midfielder/half back tall, quick, and skillful.

Possible Second Round pick: Jarrod Garlett outside midfielder who has toe, clever, takes on the game, Dylan Winton 191 half back/midfield not quick but knows to where to run to and good overhead and skills,
cheers mate. Normally know a lot more than I do this year!! Do you rekon we'll look at KPP or more smalls/mids, seems like a lot of mid-size players that we may take, from this. Not sure if this would be the right/wrong thing to do.

cheers mate. Normally know a lot more than I do this year!! Do you rekon we'll look at KPP or more smalls/mids, seems like a lot of mid-size players that we may take, from this. Not sure if this would be the right/wrong thing to do.

We are going to be subjected to the decisions of the other clubs. If they go tall should be a decent small/medium available and vice versa.

We are going to be subjected to the decisions of the other clubs. If they go tall should be a decent small/medium available and vice versa.
I'm a bit of a fan of the "if they're selling, buy & if they're buying sell" philosophy, but I reckon first pick should be best available every time
2nd pick onwards = choose for needs
IMO

Sure, I think That Goddard, Wright, Lever, Moore, Mccartin, Durdin, Marchbank and Keitel won't available at our first pick. Our second and third picks in be late, getting a good tall will be difficult.

Also, I like tall/medium midfielders who can play other roles. Small midfielders don't do it for me unless they a Shane Crawford and Brent Harvey someone is something special.

Also, love West Aussies and know they had a bad carnival, but in my view the top half were outstanding and the bottom half went up to it. The game plan didn't seem to exist.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, I think That Goddard, Wright, Lever, Moore, Mccartin, Durdin, Marchbank and Keitel won't available at our first pick. Our second and third picks in be late, getting a good tall will be difficult.

Also, I like tall/medium midfielders who can play other roles. Small midfielders don't do it for me unless they a Shane Crawford and Brent Harvey someone is something special.

Also, love West Aussies and know they had a bad carnival, but in my view the top half were outstanding and the bottom half went up to it. The game plan didn't seem to exist.
ok fair enough, if no good talls available then pass. Certainly agree that bigger midfielders are more valuable or more likely to get a game than shorter ones, as you wouldn't be feeling comftorable dropping Barlow for Neale (Just a demo.) Purely because size counts. Cheers for your input mate :)

While being tall is an advantage I sure hope that is not the first attribute we look for in a midfielder. Lachie Neale is a superb mid already at the age of 21 and he's a midget. Skill/Talent/Ability/Brains should come before height.

In terms of needs, we are lacking in the third tall/utility type players in our list currently, more so than in young tall KPP's. We have no natural replacement for Johnson in defence - look at how stretched our defence has been in the last few weeks as a result.

You could also say we're lacking a genuine third tall option - Mayne has been playing as more of a small/mid forward this year, and we don't have a like for like replacement if he gets injured.

I suppose one option is to play Morabito as a tall utility until he builds the tank to play as a pure mid. Mundy could also potentially move back to defence as that third tall option in a couple of seasons, making room for the younger mids to come into the team.

It doesn't look to me like we are looking for 3rd tall forwards at all unless they are ruck/forward like Clarke and Moller. 2 talls a resting ruck and a mid size in Mayne is the go plus roll our tall mids through. That causes mayhem.

f##k i hate sydney more than any other side, except WC. now that the COLA is going, which essentially landed them a player that has put them at the top of the ladder, they are getting a dream run with draft picks, a top five pick this year and a possible number one pick next year. geez if only the WA sides invested in WA footy maybe we could also get priority access to locally produced talent, oh wait.

developing AFL in NSW (which i support) does not have to come in the form of giving draft concessions to the local clubs.

p#ss off sydney supporters if i wanted your input I would have aired my grievances on the draft and trading board.

okay rant over

It doesn't look to me like we are looking for 3rd tall forwards at all unless they are ruck/forward like Clarke and Moller. 2 talls a resting ruck and a mid size in Mayne is the go plus roll our tall mids through. That causes mayhem.
We've also got four 190cm+mids that rotate through the forward line (Barlow, Mora, Mundy, Fyfe) and Mzungu who's what 186? Regardless he's an excellent overhead mark and set shot. A third tall is definitely not something we are in need of.

We've also got four 190cm+mids that rotate through the forward line (Barlow, Mora, Mundy, Fyfe) and Mzungu who's what 186? Regardless he's an excellent overhead mark and set shot. A third tall is definitely not something we are in need of.
And Crowley.

And Neale.

Maybe not Neale.

I really like the write up on Lachie Weller that Chris has done. I would love him to be available at our first pick. Another really polished midfielder with good skills and pace. Not as tall as the rest of our mids but seems to have really good breakaway pace from packs in his highlights.

So the way I see it, Fremantle might not try to get a KPF with their first 2 picks this year and instead put some time into Apeness/Tabs/Pearce. Does anyone think we might rookie Cameron Conlon? Not sure if he's been mentioned in this thread but he was touted as a top 10 pick last year but got injured (broken leg I think).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back