List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Think of the clubs around picks 5-10. Richmond, the Eagles, GWS, Carlton. They need classy midfielders that can play immediately. Enter Croz or Sherro. Plus they still get a first round pick to develop. Rebuilding teams want plays that can play from day one and actually improve their team. Heck, Croz and Sherro were both top 20 picks! I'm sure any team would happily take pick 17, 18 and 19 for 8.

Richmond aren't rebuilding. Gws dont have space on their list for gap filler. Shero and croz are both vic metro boys. If they leave freo they're both going back home to Melbourne.

That leaves you with carltank... which is one team that genuinely might consider it. Because they need to rebuild.

Saints and Melbourne both topped up their lists recently. If they see shero or croz as a genuine need positionally they might think about it. But this year they can pick up a top line kpf or kpd with that pick.

Rolled gold opportunity. It's fairy land stuff to think we'll get a high first rounder from them for shero or croz, and our first rounder.

Rolled gold opportunity. It's fairy land stuff to think we'll get a high first rounder from them for shero or croz, and our first rounder.
Unless you are lucky enough to find some one like Watters that was dumb enough to swap their pick 12 for 24 and Lee :confused:

Would hang on to Crozier anyway, Sherdian not that worried as I don't really rate him but he probably wouldn't be worth that much as a trade.

Richmond are always rebuilding.

They have no depth, always have have a about 4 or 5 hacks running running around for them every week. The quality of your worst handful of players getting a game is almost as important as your best handful for mine.. Especially with a mediocre coach.

Unless you are lucky enough to find some one like Watters that was dumb enough to swap their pick 12 for 24 and Lee :confused:

Would hang on to Crozier anyway, Sherdian not that worried as I don't really rate him but he probably wouldn't be worth that much as a trade.

that'd be pelchen or bains more likely I reckon. Not sure who was there at rhe time. With the state the saints list was in it made sense to split picks. I think they actually got 3 guys in for pick 12. Made sense to me given where they were at.

and we're talking about pick 12 here... as opposed to 6. Different level of trade required to get someone to split a pick that high... Melbourne and the Toast are the only ones that spring to mind. I thought the Melbourne trade was a good one at the time. Still do.the Slime one didn't make sense to me though. Still doesn't.

I think both croz and shero are worth hanging onto. Both have shown good signs but need more time IMO. Plus, we'd get nowhere near good value for them.

in truth our recent record with first rounders has been dire. With them gone it'd be a full whitewash back to 2008 I think... but there's still hope that 2009 will come through... and the signs of 2013 are good.

I've read quite a few Phantom drafts and they see him going at our pick or after it. Between 15-25. I think he will be available

All it takes is for one person in the media to say that Tom Lamb is a top 10 pick, and all the phantom drafts will change.

Except for mine that is. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo aren't that dumb as to gamble their future and some solid early picks on just 1 pick which still doesn't guarantee a player any better. I think would rather the competitive depth given our current standing in the competition.

I still Remember 2006 very well, Traded Pick 12 and Polak for pick 6... Then traded pick 6 and Medhurst for Chris Tarrant. Yeah those were the days....

Regardless what happens in 2014, I rather Freo keep their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks.

We could of got Tom Lee back in the 2008 draft... Crows got him at Pick 60. Freo used picks 53 and 56 on Michael Walters and Ben Bucoviz.

Kepler and Gumby are in strife I reckon. It's pretty apparent that Ross Lyon only considers 1 tall forward + a resting ruckman necessary to execute his game plan. We've only played a 2nd tall forward twice this year.

Having Kepler, Gumby, Taberner and Apeness basically all competing for Pav's position when he retires means that at least 1 is going to get cut, and maybe 2. Kepler might get a reprieve if he goes well in the back line.
I suspect that RTB has a number of conflicting agenda's.
It is bad for moral to drop a player who is doing what is asked even if they don't fill the most ideal role. Footy is 2/3 between the ears and RTB gets player buy-in and loyalty by practicing "do your job and you won't get dropped". Consequently he doesn't make a lot of changes. On the flip side if you go out for any reason it is tough to get back in (ask deboer).
Secondly you have to be suited to the role required to get a call up. It doesn't matter if you are a genius elsewhere, people get picked for roles that require filling. The only exception being Tab in defence but RTB stated that he was originally slated to play forward and on game day they changed the plan. Can't breach the named team rules for a change of plan.
Thirdly RTB doesn't like to experiment with inexperience on too large a scale. Typically it seems to be one or two inexperienced players at the most. At the beginning of the year it was Sherro, Crozier and Neale. Neale turned into a lock and the other two did not show enough to keep C Pearce out. Recently it has been Tabs and Apeness but they are definitely project material until they are performing and have north of about 20 games.
All of this means that RTB may have an ideal structure in mind but he is not going to sacrifice the rest of a winning formula for it. I personally believe given the change in recruit emphasis since he started his tenure that he wants more talls but is going to make sure we keep winning whilst we wait for what he wants.

As soon as you take a toy out of the box, it loses half it's value.
You could say the same thing to a brand new car to a lesser degree.
Except when you buy a used car you never know if it has been flogged by a tool and despite only being out of the box for 6 months is completely whipped.
Oh wait perfect analogy, play on.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on an early three round draft, based on the current ladder...

#12 Fremantle - Tyler Keitel
#32 Fremantle - Dean Gore
#50 Fremantle - Ashton Dickenson

Keitel is the mobile 193cm full forward from WA, he's probably the forward who would best suit our list - being shorter and more athletic than the likes of Apeness and Taberner. Gore is a 183cm and 86kg midfielder from SA, good in tough he has senior experience in the SANFL. And Dickenson is a 180cm defender/midfielder from Tasmania, because obviously we have to pick someone from down south. He's similar to what everyone would have liked Crichton to have become.

So, that probably gives away my thoughts on our needs - a 'shorter' tall forward and inside midfield depth. That could obviously change, especially with Ballard and Grey developing. But that's what I'd be looking at for the moment. Another 'shorter' tall defender (to balance the height of Smith and Pearce) and a crumbing forward (rookie draft) would be other options for me.

With our first rounder, I think we'd take Keitel or Caleb Marchbank (193cm defender) if available. Maybe Tom Lamb too - a third tall forward who would certainly appreciate having the size of Apeness/Taberner around him. Otherwise, we'd look towards midfielders - Jordan DeGoey and Corey Ellis being two who would help inside and fit our recent drafting patterns. Peter Bampton would be the alternative to Gore, along with Billy Evans and Connor Blakely.
Ashton Dickenson had a good game back from his mariners duties, played for Clarence seniors kicked 4 goals and was named in the best player's, he can be very smooth player at times similar to hill

You got a good point. Isnt Crozier a WA boy anyway?

I know Sheridan is a Victorian but It seems he enjoys playing for Freo. I doubt he is going to have any homesickness unless he changes his mind suddenly at the end of the season.

Crozier is Victorian. If he was from WA I would've stalked his hot model brother already.

I suspect that RTB has a number of conflicting agenda's.
It is bad for moral to drop a player who is doing what is asked even if they don't fill the most ideal role. Footy is 2/3 between the ears and RTB gets player buy-in and loyalty by practicing "do your job and you won't get dropped". Consequently he doesn't make a lot of changes. On the flip side if you go out for any reason it is tough to get back in (ask deboer).
Secondly you have to be suited to the role required to get a call up. It doesn't matter if you are a genius elsewhere, people get picked for roles that require filling. The only exception being Tab in defence but RTB stated that he was originally slated to play forward and on game day they changed the plan. Can't breach the named team rules for a change of plan.
Thirdly RTB doesn't like to experiment with inexperience on too large a scale. Typically it seems to be one or two inexperienced players at the most. At the beginning of the year it was Sherro, Crozier and Neale. Neale turned into a lock and the other two did not show enough to keep C Pearce out. Recently it has been Tabs and Apeness but they are definitely project material until they are performing and have north of about 20 games.
All of this means that RTB may have an ideal structure in mind but he is not going to sacrifice the rest of a winning formula for it. I personally believe given the change in recruit emphasis since he started his tenure that he wants more talls but is going to make sure we keep winning whilst we wait for what he wants.
nice work,I see what you did there

Except when you buy a used car you never know if it has been flogged by a tool and despite only being out of the box for 6 months is completely whipped.
Oh wait perfect analogy, play on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back