List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

yer sounds like a good option. I only know Wagner from a couple episodes of the recruit so was just a thought.

Haven't seen the recruit, but from all reports he looks good. Such a massive change from Country footy to AFL, which puts me off him a bit. Would be a good option as a Cat B rookie which you can get him as, which means we could get both players.

While the draft is still a long way off (and our final draft picks may change), I'd be happy with any of the following:

Pick 12:
- Jake Lever - Best tall defender in the draft (but could be high risk after missing this season with an ACL)
- Caleb Marchbank - Third Tall Defender (Similar to: Michael Johnson)
- Hugh Goddard - Tall Defender (Similar to: Luke McPharlin)

Pick 32:
- Clem Smith - Small / Rebounding Defender
- Connor Menadue - Link-up / Linebreaking mid
- Tyler Keitel - Tall Forward / Tall Defender

Pick 50:
- Dan Howe - Utility / Rebounding Defender
- Damien Cavka - Link-up / Linebreaking mid
- Jack Steele - Goal-kicking Mid

While the draft is still a long way off (and our final draft picks may change), I'd be happy with any of the following:

Pick 12:
- Jake Lever - Best tall defender in the draft (but could be high risk after missing this season with an ACL)
- Caleb Marchbank - Third Tall Defender (Similar to: Michael Johnson)
- Hugh Goddard - Tall Defender (Similar to: Luke McPharlin)

Pick 32:
- Clem Smith - Small / Rebounding Defender
- Connor Menadue - Link-up / Linebreaking mid
- Tyler Keitel - Tall Forward / Tall Defender

Pick 50:
- Dan Howe - Utility / Rebounding Defender
- Damien Cavka - Link-up / Linebreaking mid
- Jack Steele - Goal-kicking Mid
be very happy with this draft. Dunno some of the players, but the role they play sounds good, so it just depends on if they much chop or not.

be very happy with this draft. Dunno some of the players, but the role they play sounds good, so it just depends on if they much chop or not.

Great draft summary would be happy to roll the dice on Lever and Clem Smith sounds like a good one to get hard and quick from all reports.

Would we really need to use pick 12 as we will need to use it for a trade as Suban , MDB, Clancee Pearce, etc will get us little more than Viv Michie did. Plus don't we already have enough young untried talks from the last two drafts to still give games to. I think we need to really look at the WAFL, SANFL, VFL, etc and look for midfield depth, aged 22-26 and hard bodies, ala Barlow. Have a look at what Miles did for Richmond this year and no one wanted him.

The TAC Cup Future Stars have announed their Top 20 Phantom Draft.

20. GWS - Corey Ellis
19. Essendon - Clem Smith
18. Sydney - Isaac Heeney
17. Hawthorn - Tom Lamb
16. Port Adelaide - Hugh Goddard
15. North Melbourne - Ed Vickers-Willis
14. Gold Coast - Lachie Weller
13. Geelong - Caleb Marchbank
12. Fremantle - Kyle Langford
11. Richmond - Liam Duggan
10. West Coast - Jarrod Pickett
9. Adelaide - Sam Durdin
8. Collingwood - Darcy Moore
7. Gold Coast - Paul Ahern
6. Carlton - Jayden Laverde
5. Western Bulldogs - Jake Lever
4. Brisbane Lions - Patrick McCartin
3. GWS - Peter Wright
2. Melbourne - Angus Brayshaw
1. St Kilda - Christian Petracca

#30 Gold Coast - Kyle Langford (VIC – Fwd/Mid)
Height: 190, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 01/12/1996
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Style:
Player comparison: Marcus Bontempelli
Range: 15-45
Profile: Langford is a very damaging tall forward flanker who is playing some really exciting footy and doesn’t need a whole lot of the footy to do his damage. Langford has a light body but some real pace to him, a willingness to take on the game, a damaging kick and strong overhead marking ability making him a big threat up forward. He’ll just need to put some size on his frame as a light body at this stage.

13 At times you need to look closely to see where Ellis' talent lies. He isn't going to be a player whose stats jump off the page. Instead it will be the other things – how he uses his hands in traffic, how he takes a second to steady himself before making the next move, and how he quickly works out what to do with the ball – that show Ellis' quality. A left-footer who can be used across half-back or the midfield.
#9 Adelaide – Corey Ellis (VIC – Mid/Def)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 09/10/1996
Recruited from: Western Jets
Style: Alan Didak
Player comparison:
Range: 5-30
Profile: Ellis is a really creative midfielder who catches the eye at times with some of the things he can do. He’s a relatively light bodied midfielder at this point but he can win some of his own ball and is a lively tackler around the ball. He’s got a nice left foot kick and is a nice user of the footy but has at times tried to do a little too much by foot. In traffic Ellis is generally a very good decision maker and can execute his skills quickly under pressure. He’s also shown in the past that he can play in the back half so he gives you some options.

13: Corey Ellis (185cm, Western Jets): Can win his own ball and use it with his left-foot. Regarded as a very good decision making midfielder.

ick 19: Essendon – Corey Ellis (compensation Selection)

Position: Midfielder/defender

Height: 185 cm, Weight: 76 kg, DOB: 09/10/1996

Club: Western Jets

Projected draft range:

Plays Like: Trent Cotchin

The type of player who just makes things happen, Corey Ellis is a productive and busy midfielder who can really have a say in the outcome of a game. He has an uncanny way of pulling off some unrealistic things in the way he can slip out of a tackle, spin through congestion, let fly an elegant handball through the thickest of congestion and effortlessly kick the ball on either side of his body, despite the degree of difficulty. Ellis can really hit some tackles and win his own inside ball, but he’s very much a playmaker. His marking around the ground is superb, as too is the way he uses the ball going inside 50. He is a quality kick on both sides of his body, which is rare for a left footer. He has a great mix of inside and outside capabilities, and carries with him that wow factor that makes him rated by some recruiters as a top 10 prospect. Ellis currently averages 26 disposals at TAC Cup level, and is a lively player who impacts around the ground and can really make things count up forward, and has made an impact at national level with an average of 13 disposals, 2.2 clearances, 3.2 marks and 2.8 inside 50s.

Pick 14: Geelong – Kyle Langford
Position: Utility
Height: 190 cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 01/12/1996
Club: Northern Knights
Projected draft range: 25 – 40

A really nifty player who gives you a bit of everything, Kyle Langford is a versatile third tall type who can be utilised at either end of the ground, having shot up the draft rankings dramatically over the past month. Langford started the season in hot form, bagging 11 goals in his first three games for Northern, having been utilised as a key tall who pushed high and hard up the wings. He averaged 18 disposals, eight marks and five tackles during that period, resulting in Vic Metro selection. Although best known for completely shutting down Tom Lamb in round one of the carnival, Langford was used in defence as a third tall, working up to the wings. In that time, his clean hands, agility, athleticism and his will to create drive from defence were on full display. His tackling makes up for his lack of ability to win the contested ball, whilst he puts himself in dangerous positions to mark, whether that’s cutting off a forward entry or pushing hard up the ground to mark on a wing. He is quite prolific in the air, and has shown enough to suggest that he could develop nicely into a rangy winger that can drop back or forward when required. He does share similarities to Marcus Bontempelli, though he hasn’t shown the contested edge Bontempelli has just yet. A very, very highly regarded player that’s pushed into the top 20.

Player Update:
Lock him in for the top 20: he’s the bolted

Would we really need to use pick 12 as we will need to use it for a trade as Suban , MDB, Clancee Pearce, etc will get us little more than Viv Michie did. Plus don't we already have enough young untried talks from the last two drafts to still give games to. I think we need to really look at the WAFL, SANFL, VFL, etc and look for midfield depth, aged 22-26 and hard bodies, ala Barlow. Have a look at what Miles did for Richmond this year and no one wanted him.
Out of those, I'd prefer to lose Suban. Is it out of the question we could do Suban and a second round pick swap with either Melbourne or St Kilda?

The TAC Cup Future Stars have announed their Top 20 Phantom Draft.

20. GWS - Corey Ellis
17. Hawthorn - Tom Lamb
9. Adelaide - Sam Durdin
8. Collingwood - Darcy Moore
7. Gold Coast - Paul Ahern
6. Carlton - Jayden Laverde
5. Western Bulldogs - Jake Lever
4. Brisbane Lions - Patrick McCartin
3. GWS - Peter Wright
2. Melbourne - Angus Brayshaw
1. St Kilda - Christian Petracca

#30 Gold Coast - Kyle Langford (VIC – Fwd/Mid)
Height: 190, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 01/12/1996
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Style:
Range: 15-45
Profile: Langford is a very damaging tall forward flanker who is playing some really exciting footy and doesn’t need a whole lot of the footy to do his damage. Langford has a light body but some real pace to him, a willingness to take on the game, a damaging kick and strong overhead marking ability making him a big threat up forward. He’ll just need to put some size on his frame as a light body at this stage.

13 At times you need to look closely to see where Ellis' talent lies. He isn't going to be a player whose stats jump off the page. Instead it will be the other things – how he uses his hands in traffic, how he takes a second to steady himself before making the next move, and how he quickly works out what to do with the ball – that show Ellis' quality. A left-footer who can be used across half-back or the midfield.
#9 Adelaide – Corey Ellis (VIC – Mid/Def)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 09/10/1996
Recruited from: Western Jets
Style: Alan Didak
Player comparison:
Range: 5-30
Profile: Ellis is a really creative midfielder who catches the eye at times with some of the things he can do. He’s a relatively light bodied midfielder at this point but he can win some of his own ball and is a lively tackler around the ball. He’s got a nice left foot kick and is a nice user of the footy but has at times tried to do a little too much by foot. In traffic Ellis is generally a very good decision maker and can execute his skills quickly under pressure. He’s also shown in the past that he can play in the back half so he gives you some options.

13: Corey Ellis (185cm, Western Jets): Can win his own ball and use it with his left-foot. Regarded as a very good decision making midfielder.

ick 19: Essendon – Corey Ellis (compensation Selection)

Position: Midfielder/defender

Height: 185 cm, Weight: 76 kg, DOB: 09/10/1996

Club: Western Jets

Projected draft range:

Plays Like: Trent Cotchin

The type of player who just makes things happen, Corey Ellis is a productive and busy midfielder who can really have a say in the outcome of a game. He has an uncanny way of pulling off some unrealistic things in the way he can slip out of a tackle, spin through congestion, let fly an elegant handball through the thickest of congestion and effortlessly kick the ball on either side of his body, despite the degree of difficulty. Ellis can really hit some tackles and win his own inside ball, but he’s very much a playmaker. His marking around the ground is superb, as too is the way he uses the ball going inside 50. He is a quality kick on both sides of his body, which is rare for a left footer. He has a great mix of inside and outside capabilities, and carries with him that wow factor that makes him rated by some recruiters as a top 10 prospect. Ellis currently averages 26 disposals at TAC Cup level, and is a lively player who impacts around the ground and can really make things count up forward, and has made an impact at national level with an average of 13 disposals, 2.2 clearances, 3.2 marks and 2.8 inside 50s.
why does essendon only have pick 19?

20. GWS - Corey Ellis
17. Hawthorn - Tom Lamb

That is a pretty nice selection of prospects at our first pick, any of which I would be happy to have. Would have a preference for Goddard as he seems to have better disposal, mobility and a great leap. Potentially can go forward as well. As a combination with Silvagni and Dawson he adds some class. I also think Smith shapes as more of a grunt defender in the Dawson mould, and Pearce as a potential MJ replacement (though could be anything). The succession plan in our backline would be complete, with the added benefit of Goddard being a potential swingman.

I am really hoping Smith slips to our second. Would love a hard bowling ball coming out from the backline and hitting packs.

Please no more sticks it takes 5 years to build them up haven't got the patience for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goddard sounds the goods if he slips to our pick.
We need another quality outside mid with pace coming through who can learn the trade as a small forward.
If Simpson is looking like he will come good then I would be fine using our first pick on Goddard.
By the time Goddard is ready even Dawson and Silvagni will be getting near the end.

Goddard sounds the goods if he slips to our pick.
We need another quality outside mid with pace coming through who can learn the trade as a small forward.
If Simpson is looking like he will come good then I would be fine using our first pick on Goddard.
By the time Goddard is ready even Dawson and Silvagni will be getting near the end.

Smith; Dawson
Goddard; MacPharlin/Silvagni
Pearce; Johnson

Regarding the development of talls, I think that the problem we have had in the forward line is that a player like Taberner has come in and is expected to be a a second tall drawing a KPD. He ends up getting monstered. In our backline Goddard could come in and play 3rd tall or something like Ibbotson's role once he has his fitness base up. From what I have read he is a hard trainer already and that may not be too far in the future.

For the lols

10474740_293957670775535_1092478400878983645_n.jpg

Just excited we have pick 12. We haven't been that low since we took Mora in 2009.

I'm kinda also hoping we trade some players so we can take either a second round 1 or 2 pick. Mind you in preparation for the off season I have been watching "Draft Day" and I plan to watch "Moneyball" so I might be a little amped more than normal about this draft.

Just excited we have pick 12. We haven't been that low since we took Mora in 2009.

I'm kinda also hoping we trade some players so we can take either a second round 1 or 2 pick. Mind you in preparation for the off season I have been watching "Draft Day" and I plan to watch "Moneyball" so I might be a little amped more than normal about this draft.
Likely to be 13 once Melbourne are compensated for Frawley.

I watched Draft Day last week - easy watching

I want Brenden Abbott from Claremont as our first round pick this guy is from Albany originally and is tough as boot leather an loves to put his body on the line is very physical in contests .

We should have a look at Mitchell Mcgovern as well .

I would be happy to draft both of these guys.

I'd be lining up our second round pick for Brenden Abbott, our first would be a little much in my opinion - you'd really only be using it so there is no chance of West Coast getting in first, which admittedly is a good enough reason. But it would be a very Max Duffy like pick. A 19 year old with plenty of talent, but went undrafted for other reasons. And also like Duffy, he has shown glimpses in the WAFL but hasn't reached his full potential yet. I think he'd be an upgrade over Suban.

McGovern would be a handy get too, because I do consider our medium/tall forwards a weakness - we have Mayne, and then nothing before the much taller Taberner and Apeness. No idea what he would cost in terms of a draft pick, but sinking a third round pick on him wouldn't be the worst idea.

We have been crying out for a small defender, Josh looks AFL ready and we have always liked drafting mature age players.

Chris25 - Could he play on a Gray or a Wingard? Is he AFL ready?

I see you have him pick 20 in your draft, so obviously you rate him very highly.

Name: Josh Glenn
Position: Midfielder
Height: 179 cm, Weight: 78 kg, DOB:
Club: Central Districts
Projected draft range: 25-40
Player comparison: Matthew Suckling

Josh Glenn decided against nominating for the draft last year, citing the fact he simply was not ready, In 2014, Glenn is back bigger and better, garnering enough interest from AFL clubs to be invited to this year’s draft combine. The dedicated and hardworking small defender/midfielder is versatile enough to play a number of roles: however, he primarily excels across half back given both his defensive mindset and thumping kick. He plays quite a close checking role, but also loves to run and carry and kick long into attack. Glenn isn’t a stranger to pushing forward himself and kicking a long goal on the run, and has also shown an ability to win the contested ball. However, he is best used on the outside of packs or rebounding from defence, given his neat skill set and tidy efficiency by foot. He’s very much in the mould of a Matthew Suckling, albeit shorter, and is blessed with toughness, composure and good decision making. He averaged 17 disposals from 21 games in 2013 and took out the SANFL Rising Star award, being named in the best on six occasions in 2014, averaging 22 disposals per game.

We have been crying out for a small defender, Josh looks AFL ready and we have always liked drafting mature age players.

Chris25 - Could he play on a Gray or a Wingard? Is he AFL ready?

I see you have him pick 20 in your draft, so obviously you rate him very highly.

Name: Josh Glenn
Position: Midfielder
Height: 179 cm, Weight: 78 kg, DOB:
Club: Central Districts
Projected draft range: 25-40
Player comparison: Matthew Suckling

Josh Glenn decided against nominating for the draft last year, citing the fact he simply was not ready, In 2014, Glenn is back bigger and better, garnering enough interest from AFL clubs to be invited to this year’s draft combine. The dedicated and hardworking small defender/midfielder is versatile enough to play a number of roles: however, he primarily excels across half back given both his defensive mindset and thumping kick. He plays quite a close checking role, but also loves to run and carry and kick long into attack. Glenn isn’t a stranger to pushing forward himself and kicking a long goal on the run, and has also shown an ability to win the contested ball. However, he is best used on the outside of packs or rebounding from defence, given his neat skill set and tidy efficiency by foot. He’s very much in the mould of a Matthew Suckling, albeit shorter, and is blessed with toughness, composure and good decision making. He averaged 17 disposals from 21 games in 2013 and took out the SANFL Rising Star award, being named in the best on six occasions in 2014, averaging 22 disposals per game.
sounds a good player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back