Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Chris25 I've noticed in your Phantom (excellent job as usual BTW) you've got Tom Lamb going to Port just before our first pick. Given the way things have turned out, do you think he's any chance to fall to us. I know he's listed as a forward (at about 192 I think) but gee I like his work around the packs and see him as a bit of a mix of Mundy/Fyfe (reaching?). Anyway, do you think he'd be a chance for us if we go back to best available rather than tall again?

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Also Chris, after briefly reviewing the highlights videos for a lot of the talls in the upcoming draft, I have to say I'm underwhelmed. Can you point me in the direction of some decent tall timber in the State leagues that might be of interest to us if the draft is shallow for quality talls?

Kunna17

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
not sure what you guys think, but whilst a KPD would be handy in the draft.
IF we get Frawley then we've got Silvagni and A.Pearce as cover, hopefully Smith as well.
I know Tabener and Apeness have potential as a KPF, but I saw the bio of this kid and thought he'd be good for us, at the least he draws a defender as a forward/ruck, more than Clarke manages.
  1. Apeness becomes no.1 KPF
  2. Tabener becomes no.2 KPF
  3. He becomes the Ruck Forward we're after.
Obviously bit of a tall forward line, but is similar to our current forward line.
Apeness ~ Pav (In terms of pressure)
Clarkes pretty useless in this regard so not worried about him.
Soo who is the player?
19. Essendon – Reece McKenzie
Northern Knights
Height: 196 cm
Weight: 100 kg
Position: Key forward/ruck
Player comparison: Jonathon Patton
Strengths: Contested marking, work rate, strength
Areas needing improvement: Goal kicking consistency, keeping emotions in check

Son of 1987 Carlton premiership player Warren McKenzie, Reece is an incredibly imposing key forward. He has the ability to win the game off his own boot: however, it depends which McKenzie shows up. His 10 goal TAC Cup game really put him on the map, but for a while recruiters were hoping he’d just go along quietly for a draft day steal. He has high expectations of himself and can get a bit frustrated when things don’t go his way, and as a result his goal kicking can be affected. That being said, he will get over that with maturity and his technique when taking set shots is sound. I often see McKenzie at the gym, and he lifts an astounding amount of weight. His body looks like he has had three or four AFL pre-seasons. His body is more than ready to dominate at AFL from day one. He has been interested in body building for a while and played high level basketball as a 17-year-old before coming back to football. McKenzie is a Marcellin College legend, having kicked 10 goals for the A-team as a 16-year-old: his TAC Cup footy proves that wasn’t a fluke. His work rate is enormous. He constantly leads up, and often grabs several uncontested marks on the lead inside 50 as a direct result of his repeat efforts and his willingness to get up towards centre half forward. Despite only playing 10 games, McKenzie came second in the league goal kicking with 35 goals. His highlights included 10 against the Ranges, seven against Northern Territory and six against Bendigo. Mckenzie averaged 7.1 marks per game, and 3.7 of those were contested. He is also more than handy in the ruck, having three games with more than 10 hitouts as a pinch hitter. Against the Eastern Ranges, he had the most incredible one goal game I’ve ever seen. He had kicked four behinds, had nine marks (three of which were contested), 16 disposals and 18 hitouts. He should have been best on ground by a mile, but couldn’t kick straight. McKenzie can be frustrating, but his best is incredible.

Chris25 what are your thoughts on him?

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Chris25 I've noticed in your Phantom (excellent job as usual BTW) you've got Tom Lamb going to Port just before our first pick. Given the way things have turned out, do you think he's any chance to fall to us. I know he's listed as a forward (at about 192 I think) but gee I like his work around the packs and see him as a bit of a mix of Mundy/Fyfe (reaching?). Anyway, do you think he'd be a chance for us if we go back to best available rather than tall again?

I think Tom Lamb could be a chance for us, if he were available at our selection then he would be one of the better talents available. I'm not sure he totally fits the Fremantle mould, being that laconic tweener type. You've got Morabito who will hopefully fill that utility role anyway. But I like Lamb, and he has the potential to be developed as a midfielder or at either end of the ground. So he'd certainly be a fun one to watch.

But, I really like Jordan DeGoey and I think he is the perfect Fremantle player - 187cm, 82kg and can play almost anywhere. He's a bit like Jack Ziebell, in that he is really strong in the clearances but dangerous as a medium marking forward too. Or he could follow David Mundy's lead and start across half back before moving into the midfield. I'd jump with our first rounder.

Otherwise, a little cheaper and you have Matthew Panos from Norwood in the SANFL. The former 193cm Western Bulldogs full forward has transformed into a 193cm big bodied midfielder this year. And in the SANFL Grand Final this weekend had 28 disposals, 12 clearances and a goal. Probably questions over his speed and agility to be an AFL midfielder, but he can create mismatches with his height through the midfield so would certainly be worth a shot with a later pick.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I want Brenden Abbott from Claremont as our first round pick this guy is from Albany originally and is tough as boot leather an loves to put his body on the line is very physical in contests .
Would really like to pick him up, I think he's playing as a half forward or something for Claremont? Well developed, no gym time needed, could be very good off half back too.

Chris25 are he and McGovern likely to get picked up? What about D Cameron?

strobe00

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
McKenzie is literally Apeness.
Top work Chris. From the description I thought there were some pretty obvious parallels. And quite a few of them.

Thought apeness was a solid kick at goal at tac and u18s though?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
McKenzie is literally Apeness.

I am pretty happy to have Apeness, and if we draft another KPF this year would prefer to get someone with points of difference. Don't mind if they are a little "under-sized" even. Just want them to powerful and fast, can take a mark and kick 80+ per season. That's all.

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Tom Lamb could be a chance for us, if he were available at our selection then he would be one of the better talents available. I'm not sure he totally fits the Fremantle mould, being that laconic tweener type. You've got Morabito who will hopefully fill that utility role anyway. But I like Lamb, and he has the potential to be developed as a midfielder or at either end of the ground. So he'd certainly be a fun one to watch.

But, I really like Jordan DeGoey and I think he is the perfect Fremantle player - 187cm, 82kg and can play almost anywhere. He's a bit like Jack Ziebell, in that he is really strong in the clearances but dangerous as a medium marking forward too. Or he could follow David Mundy's lead and start across half back before moving into the midfield. I'd jump with our first rounder.

Otherwise, a little cheaper and you have Matthew Panos from Norwood in the SANFL. The former 193cm Western Bulldogs full forward has transformed into a 193cm big bodied midfielder this year. And in the SANFL Grand Final this weekend had 28 disposals, 12 clearances and a goal. Probably questions over his speed and agility to be an AFL midfielder, but he can create mismatches with his height through the midfield so would certainly be worth a shot with a later pick.

G'day Chris,how do you rate the potential of this draft compared to drafts dating back to say 2008?

2008 ND was clearly a high quality draft IMO.

Nov 28, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
none
Would love to pick up Mitch McGovern in the draft. He's widely to tipped to be potentially better than his brother. Has anyone watched him play?

Would love to pick up Mitch McGovern in the draft. He's widely to tipped to be potentially better than his brother. Has anyone watched him play?

Pretty sure his parents would of.

Agenfrida

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
Parts unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
I am pretty happy to have Apeness, and if we draft another KPF this year would prefer to get someone with points of difference. Don't mind if they are a little "under-sized" even. Just want them to powerful and fast, can take a mark and kick 80+ per season. That's all.

You're not asking much, just a potential coleman medalist is enough?

Dockersman

Senior List
Sep 29, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Moto GP, F1
Any of you blokes heard of this bloke from South Fremantle colts? Bob Maumil mentioned him yesterday. 203cm ruckman /forward who's kicked 57 goals 28 points this year. Apparently a few clubs are looking at him and he's been invited to the draft combine. Cameron Loersch

http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4791

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Any of you blokes heard of this bloke from South Fremantle colts? Bob Maumil mentioned him yesterday. 203cm ruckman /forward who's kicked 57 goals 28 points this year. Apparently a few clubs are looking at him and he's been invited to the draft combine. Cameron Loersch

http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4791

Bob knows his stuff,he was a scout for the Kangaroos and was part of the Bell deal
Has been tied up with South's colts and would know this kid pretty well
If Bob gave him the thumbs up he would be a definate get

Agenfrida

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
Parts unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bob knows his stuff,he was a scout for the Kangaroos and was part of the Bell deal
Has been tied up with South's colts and would know this kid pretty well
If Bob gave him the thumbs up he would be a definate get
Might also be a good pickup if we're going to trade Clarke and Moller doesn't work out.

Back