List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be highly surprised to not see us take one of Goddard, Durdin or Marchbank with our first, if they're available. Sure, we might take a mid, but it seems far more logical they'll go for a tall

All depends on who's left on the table. If a very good/elite mid slips down the order and is available at the same time as the good/very good KPPs you've listed, don't be surprised if we go with the mid. If the only talls left are a notch or two below the midfield talent that's left, I can see us pulling the trigger on the mid and picking up a tall later on.

Despite what some folks have said, I don't think our midfield is particularly stacked with talent. We need to get more speed, run and class in there.

All depends on who's left on the table. If a very good/elite mid slips down the order and is available at the same time as the good/very good KPPs you've listed, don't be surprised if we go with the mid. If the only talls left are a notch or two below the midfield talent that's left, I can see us pulling the trigger on the mid and picking up a tall later on.

Despite what some folks have said, I don't think our midfield is particularly stacked with talent. We need to get more speed, run and class in there.

I still think Lamb is the smoky, so to speak. He's a mid, sure, but a big body that has ample versatility coupled with a huge tank. Depending what KPP's are left at our 1st rounder, I wouldn't be surprised if we take Lamb and look for Keitel in the 2nd round. I'm not sure he's massively worse than the KPPs we'd get 1st round.

I still think Lamb is the smoky, so to speak. He's a mid, sure, but a big body that has ample versatility coupled with a huge tank. Depending what KPP's are left at our 1st rounder, I wouldn't be surprised if we take Lamb and look for Keitel in the 2nd round. I'm not sure he's massively worse than the KPPs we'd get 1st round.

Every club will rate the draftees according to a different set of criteria. One bloke might be a top 10 for one club, and will struggle to sneak into the top 20 or so at another.

Freo love recruiting blokes that have elite tanks. It's quite possible that they'll pull the trigger on Lamb. Will be interesting to find out. Guessing what Freo will do in the national draft is a mug's game though. A fun one. But we BF supporters are so rarely right.

Hard to disagree with that. I wouldn't be stumbling in disbelief if we did take a mid, however, it's a lot harder to find good KPP's further down the order than it is to get good mids. We absolutely need speed and class, no doubt. But we also need Key position players and they're a lot harder to find. This is why I think we'd take Durdin et.al if they were there. If we go for a mid, I wouldn't be surprised to see us reach for someone like Garlett, for the reasons you outlined above.

I'm a big, big fan of this guy. Would be stoked if we got him.

My thoughts on the best 15 players.

Talls: McCartin, Lever, Wright, Durdin, Moore*, Goddard, Marchbank.

Midfielders: Petracca, Brayshaw, Leverde, Weller, Pickett, Ahern, De Goey

Others: Langford, Lamb

Many people are saying that from 7 picks onwards to the end of the first round, that the players are around the same ability. Next year is a midfield draft, so for me go with Durin, Goddard or Marchbank in that order.

I like Daniel's highlight tape but he is a very one sided by foot . In saying that he appears to have very good football smarts and could be a good pick up as a rookie .

Yeah, first thing I noticed about him actually (in the negative sense). When looking at these sort of draft prospects, the cynic in me looks for the weaknesses rather than their strengths and his lack of left foot stood out a mile. Young players can develop their off foot though, and he's obviously got that innate natural footy brain which is harder to develop IMHO.

I wouldn't be unhappy if we used a 3rd pick or rookie spot for him if he's still there.

Sorry if already been posted but one thing Lloyd did say on Sundays interview was that it has taken 2 to 3 years for the 2011 drafted players hit their straps so he expects the talls drafted so far to start to develop. He even named them. I thought he hinted that we would need mids in three years time, meaning this years draft. But said we would take the best no matter what, tall or mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks like a rookie to me. Short and slight, one sided, not particularly quick...got a helmet too, so may have had concussion issues previously?

For what it's worth, Daniel isn't that one sided. Like any 18 year old, he prefers his dominant side but his left foot is decent. No different than any draftee really. He's also quite quick. Runs a sub 3 second 20m sprint, and is one of the hardest players to tackle I've ever seen.

Not sure about the concussion part, nothing in the past two years that I can remember.

He'd be the #1 pick if he were 15cm taller, even just another 5cm or so and he'd be top 15/20.

Mainly because it is so blatantly obviously and that any body can see that Freo are light on for key position players.

We are not really. We are light on for established, quality KPPs who can replace Pavlich and MacPharlin in the near future. This and last years draft may or may not address that, but we will not know if it does for another 3 years.

For what it's worth, Daniel isn't that one sided. Like any 18 year old, he prefers his dominant side but his left foot is decent. No different than any draftee really. He's also quite quick. Runs a sub 3 second 20m sprint, and is one of the hardest players to tackle I've ever seen.

Not sure about the concussion part, nothing in the past two years that I can remember.

He'd be the #1 pick if he were 15cm taller, even just another 5cm or so and he'd be top 15/20.
Thanks Chris . In his highlight tape he did kick the ball with his left foot but it missed everything and went out of bounds on the full .
Why the helmet Chris is there an issue there or not .

Thanks Chris . In his highlight tape he did kick the ball with his left foot but it missed everything and went out of bounds on the full .
Why the helmet Chris is there an issue there or not .

He's originally from Queensland, and he picked it up there because it's common in rugby.

Every club will rate the draftees according to a different set of criteria. One bloke might be a top 10 for one club, and will struggle to sneak into the top 20 or so at another.

Freo love recruiting blokes that have elite tanks. It's quite possible that they'll pull the trigger on Lamb. Will be interesting to find out. Guessing what Freo will do in the national draft is a mug's game though. A fun one. But we BF supporters are so rarely right.
Too true but we don't have the resources of the Club .
Mind you we have spotted some talented recruits that they have passed on which has come back to haunt them and us .
Bradley is that you oH OK Hawthorn bound ,nice couple of premiership medals there by the way .

Mind you we have spotted some talented recruits that they have passed on which has come back to haunt them and us .
Bradley is that you oH OK Hawthorn bound ,nice couple of premiership medals there by the way .
That'll happen. We can only pick about 1 in every 18 draftees. There are always going to be guys that slip through the net.

We haven't done badly at all in picking up talent in the later rounds and in the rookie draft.

Just need to maximise the value of the most valuable picks... the first rounders. Haven't been as lucky with them. Hilly is the last standout, and he was 2008.

I dunno - we were frothing over Tom Lee when he trained with us and also demolished a disinterested Dawson in the intraclub. He's not exactly set the world on fire. As a general rule we've also always been genuinely surprised at the left field picks we've taken in the draft (having to research who the * some of our guys are) but it hasn't turned out so bad to date - not knowing who Neale, Sutcliff, Spurr etc were and us not picking up Kersten, Shaw, Paparone, Bootsma amongst others that the BF supporters have wanted

I dunno - we were frothing over Tom Lee when he trained with us and also demolished a disinterested Dawson in the intraclub. He's not exactly set the world on fire. As a general rule we've also always been genuinely surprised at the left field picks we've taken in the draft (having to research who the **** some of our guys are) but it hasn't turned out so bad to date - not knowing who Neale, Sutcliff, Spurr etc were and us not picking up Kersten, Shaw, Paparone, Bootsma amongst others that the BF supporters have wanted
Those people :drunk:

Thanks Chris, as I alluded to in my post, young players with the everything going for them can learn to use their non-dominant side. Most people aren't two sided naturally, it's a pretty rare thing, but hard work and discipline can get you pretty strong on your week side. I've done it myself and surprised myself how good I could get on my wrong side kicking and, for my chosen sport, Basketball and I am VERY right sided naturally.

But when you're young, unless you've been doing it from a very young age, it's never going to be very natural.

Anyway, that was long winded, just agreeing that young players tend to show up 'one sided' more than is the reality of their abilities.

More the point, sounds like you're saying he'd be late 2nd round, maybe early 3rd? If that is right, we're not likely to have a shot at him anyway, and if we pick up say Clem Smith who I think I saw you reckon we might go at with pick 2, we'd be even less likely to go for a Daniel type. Or do you think we'd still take him there if he's available?

And on that, how likely do you think Clem is going to be available at our 2nd. Seems his stocks are rising about the place if I've picked up the gossip right (I'm not that attentive TBH).

Sorry for the long winded question.

Smith looks aggressive and exciting. If Glenn was available I would probably prefer him, and look at him playing as a small defender. looks to have more discipline and a higher skill level. not as explosive or aggressive as Smith, but I would be worried about the Free Kicks Against stats that Smith might receive. Also sounds like Glenn has the higher likelihood to progress into the midfield than Smith does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back