List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Jake Lonie is 174cm and 67kgs ,he would need 3 years to get into the right build to play AFL and even then could struggle . Rookie maybe because of the development he would need . We just de listed Wood for the same reason ,why would we get another one .If I was looking for a development player with a huge up side I would rather Nicholas Coughlan 193 cm 84 kgs .Forward great kick both sides very good contested mark .once we build his tank up this kid could blossom into a very good player at both ends .
But my absolute stand out for us to pick up is Jesse Watchman 196cm ,90 kgs this kid is another Pavlich .

I fear the Sibosado thing may have turned Freo off someone like Clem. But I agree with you, at the end of the day we need someone to stop the small forwards of the opposition (who continue to carve us up year after year) and if he can do that I want him too. Can he have two buddies, otherwise I defer to you. I'm pretty soft.:$

Haha - actually Clem will select his own buddies probably via the SAS.

Would be good to have a player like Clem in the backline who makes the really quick small forward a bit concerned about their next move.

Agree that we got cut up this year and even Spurr was given the run around too often.

I fear the Sibosado thing may have turned Freo off someone like Clem. But I agree with you, at the end of the day we need someone to stop the small forwards of the opposition (who continue to carve us up year after year) and if he can do that I want him too. Can he have two buddies, otherwise I defer to you. I'm pretty soft.:$

Yeh you could understand a general tendency to go a safe bet with a really committed kid rather than the naturally talented but maybe more laid back indigenous kids. We have flopped on a few now (Collard, Sibosado and Simpson the big ones) but on the flipside you have Hayden, Walters, Johnson, Farmer, Kickett... Just have to judge the determination of each to succeed as they come.

How is this for two examples of how screwed around the draft has been over the last few years:

(From the final AFL draft order):

Pick 21. St Kilda (received from Geelong in Rhys Stanley trade; traded to the Cats by the Brisbane Lions in Allen Christensen trade; traded to the Lions by Greater Western Sydney in Joel Patfull trade; traded to the Giants by Gold Coast in 2012; traded to the Suns by the Brisbane Lions in 2010; originally received by the Lions as compensation for Jared Brennan)

Pick 49. Hawthorn (received from Gold Coast in Mitch Hallahan trade; traded to the Hawks by West Coast in 2013; traded to the Eagles by Collingwood in 2010; originally received by the Magpies as compensation for Josh Fraser)

So on the AFL page they have the draftees answering some questions. The last question, what scares you, lots of answers about snakes, spiders, sharks and the dark!

Clem Smith's answer is the last one they show - "nothing really" could of only been better if he had answered truthfully - drafted by West Coast.

Last edited:
So on the AFL page they have the draftees answering some questions. The last question, what scares you, lots of answers about snakes, spiders, sharks and the dark!

Clem Smith's answer is the last one they show - "nothing really" could of only been better if he had answered truthfully - drafted by West Coast.

Did they have Gaff's draft answers in there by mistake?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ABC have us taking Goddard ahead of Durdin. Don't know if they wrote this before or after their cuts however...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-25/2014-afl-phantom-draft3a-predicting-the-first-round/5910704

Pick 13, Fremantle - Hugh Goddard
Somewhat of a slider after a less-than-stellar season, Goddard's last month of TAC Cup footy reminded everyone of his ability. Moving down back as a key defender, he successfully shut down some of the competitions best forwards and added some class on the rebound as well. A big body and an excellent character.

ABC have us taking Goddard ahead of Durdin. Don't know if they wrote this before or after their cuts however...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-25/2014-afl-phantom-draft3a-predicting-the-first-round/5910704

Somewhat of a slider after a less-than-stellar season, Goddard's last month of TAC Cup footy reminded everyone of his ability. Moving down back as a key defender, he successfully shut down some of the competitions best forwards and added some class on the rebound as well. A big body and an excellent character.
We would take Goddard but is expected to go before our pick. But who knows.

Yeh you could understand a general tendency to go a safe bet with a really committed kid rather than the naturally talented but maybe more laid back indigenous kids. We have flopped on a few now (Collard, Sibosado and Simpson the big ones) but on the flipside you have Hayden, Walters, Johnson, Farmer, Kickett... Just have to judge the determination of each to succeed as they come.
To be honest I assumed the lack of fitness for Sibo and Clem was inherent, I wasn't looking at individual personalities at all. Worth considering though.

Emma Quayle about Adelaide's pick 14
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...at-live-with-emma-quayle-20141125-11t95x.html
Hi Charles. There's a chance Hugh will be there, but if GWS doesn't take him I'd expect Geelong and Fremantle to both consider him strongly. Sam Durdin is a versatile tall that could be there at their pick, Kyle Langford is one more. Durdin looks more comfortable back and Langford is more of a third tall forward who could also go back or end up playing as a tall wingman type. I think everyone pretty much agrees on the group of players around the top 30, it's just that recruiters would rate the individual players quite differently. It's an even group so hopefully there are a few good surprises on the night.

I've watched the highlight tapes on Clem Smith and they aren't that flattering . He's not super quick and gets caught out when opposition players have genuine pace .
He is only 177cm and 77 kgs so he needs an x factor which I didn't see anything to get excited about .

On the other hand Nathan Drummond 181cm ,85 kgs has is in bucket loads and has bearly got a mention .
If I was looking for a serious player , Josh Mcguinness on the other hand is one I would grab in a minute . All Australian defender that will need time to reach his full potential at 189cm,and 72 kgs .
Sam McLaren is another one that I would love to see in Purple 197cm and 92kgs , Key defender . This kid can play .
Dean Gore is another kid we should be looking at 183 cm 86 kgs , natural tagger and inside mid .

There is a lot to be said for his tooth rattling tackles though. He may be too short to play the Byron Pickett/ Troy Cook kind of role effectively, but I still think we need a bone crunching midfielder on our list.

If Goddard was available I am very confident we would take him over Durdin. The only reason he hasn't been mentioned as much is no one expects him to still be there by our pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back