List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

If Laverde slips past the Eagles we would be silly not to take him.

Maybe, or maybe not. Nobody really knows if he will be any good or not. Half of these players everyone is talking up are probably going to be duds.

I can't help but wonder whether the reason this draft is so "even" and there are no standouts after the first few ... is because most of the players are just average.

The more I think about it, the more I hope we take Goddard or Lever over the likes of Weller, Ahern, Duggan, Laverde, Ellis. Sure they might kick a nice goal here or there and look solid enough, but nothing really screams out "star" when you consider the videos that are supposed to show the highlights of these mids. Pickett's highlights look so much better than everyone (bar the midget Caleb Daniel) it's not funny. Laverde does look OK, and wouldn't be upset with him, but would still rather take a tall.

Maybe, or maybe not. Nobody really knows if he will be any good or not. Half of these players everyone is talking up are probably going to be duds.

I can't help but wonder whether the reason this draft is so "even" and there are no standouts after the first few ... is because most of the players are just average.

The more I think about it, the more I hope we take Goddard or Lever over the likes of Weller, Ahern, Duggan, Laverde, Ellis. Sure they might kick a nice goal here or there and look solid enough, but nothing really screams out "star" when you consider the videos that are supposed to show the highlights of these mids. Pickett's highlights look so much better than everyone (bar the midget Caleb Daniel) it's not funny. Laverde does look OK, and wouldn't be upset with him, but would still rather take a tall.

In the past around this pick we have drafted Drum and Dunn. I don't have huge expectations on players in any draft. But with this draft I am pretty optimistic that we will find at worst a serviceable player.

That's weird. Drafting is for the best player over the next 10-12 years. You'd be happy with a Rhys Palmer?
You can't predict a 10-12 year player. Rhys played fine with us at the time until the system changed and he did his knee. Your saying your happy with the production we've got from our first round picks over recent drafts? I do realize bad luck has come into play.

Last edited:
The more I see and read about Lever, he looks like an absolute steal at 13. They will have given him a thorough health check, so I wouldn't think there is any additional risk associated with the ACL.

We'd be very lucky to get him and he looks like he'd fit in beautifully in the purple.

There has to be an additional risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Lever has a serious handle on the ball(pun intended);). I want him in purple. What number would we give him?

Have to say with all thats been said recently hes now the guy i want. Wanted Durdin initially but have cooled on his somewhat.

This Lever kid looks to be something else, hoping we get him.

You can't predict a 10-12 year player. Rhys played fine with us at the time until the system changed and he did his knee. Your saying your happy with the production we've got from our first round picks over recent drafts? I do realize bad luck has come into play.
I'd say predicting the 10-12 year best player is the goal though, and these guys do it for a job.
eg Apeness, If he was best 22 from 2016/17 onwards for 8ish years you'd be very happy.

Last edited:
If you think his draft footage is good, take a look at his highlights package from the under 18's championships earlier this year: 27 disposals, eight tackles, three goals and 11 score involvements - best on ground by a mile. The kid is a freak, see for yourself!

As for those people worried about his height - this kid developed his jaw-dropping, one-touch, corner-of-the-eye passing skills because he had to - if he didn't get rid of the ball quickly and to advantage, he'd be flattened. He's been playing against bigger, faster, stronger, heavier players his whole life, how will AFL be any different?

Count the number of (potential) goal assists he pulls out of nowhere in the above video... ('cause I lost count) ...then look really hard at his disposals - almost none of them are ineffective, nearly all of them advances the ball, effects the play and creates opportunities.

This guy may be small, but he's no seagull - frankly I rate him as being the most potentially damaging mid in the Draft. If he is still there at our last pick IMO we must grab him.

Sold for Pick 13!
;)

Lever seems to have a bit of everything in his highlights. Good in the air, good below his knees, good awareness, good in traffic and good disposal. He seems like the kind of player you could build a backline around

Lever seems to have a bit of everything in his highlights. Good in the air, good below his knees, good awareness, good in traffic and good disposal. He seems like the kind of player you could build a backline around
Yep couldn't agree more. Would be a great replacement for Luke in the future. You would hope that in the future we have Pearce, Smith and then Lever (hopefully) who can replace McPharlin, Dawson and Johnson. The we have Vanders as backup, Silvagni who may or may not still be around and Hurley who could develop as well. That leaves us very comfortable for talls in our backline.

Really hoping for Lever, every year I get my heart set on a player that I want us to draft and this year it is him.

If Laverde slips past the Eagles we would be silly not to take him.
I totally agree. Laverde looks like a gun. I could see a future half back line of Laverde, Sutcliffe and A.Pearce dominating. Both mine and JMT's hopes for today are either one of De Goey, Lever or Laverde. The order of preference is 1.Laverde, 2. Lever and 3. De Goey. Mitch Mcgovern is my hope for the second pick.

I totally agree. Laverde looks like a gun. I could see a future half back line of Laverde, Sutcliffe and A.Pearce dominating. Both mine and JMT's hopes for today are either one of De Goey, Lever or Laverde. The order of preference is 1.Laverde, 2. Lever and 3. De Goey. Mitch Mcgovern is my hope for the second pick.
I'm by no means a draft guru or anything but would our second pick be to early for McGovern? I would hope that there is other players around our pick that are rated higher. I'm purely just going off of what I have heard and read about his stats but I would grab McGovern with our third pick if he was still available. Maybe Keitel with our second? seems to be a bit forgotten of late though and may have slid.

I'm not concerned about just the ACL with Lever, I'm worried about how the ACL and the rest of his body keeping up with not just the extra bulk he'll pick up, but also the extra height he should develop based on the wingspan.

I still don't get this whole "should grow" more thing. I think it's just as likely that he'll stay the same height and just have an unusually good reach for his height.

a guy I play basketball with has virtually identical height and wingspan to lever. And he's 37, so he didn't get any taller despite the mismatch.

193 is a bit short for a kpp with normal reach. Add in lever's reach and he's probably equivalent to a 196-197 kpd with normal reach. I was mostly bothered about his height and flight risk rather than his knee... but I'm pretty comfortable with his height now.

Partially reassured re: flight risk as he sounds like a whole hearted character, but that's still more of a worry for me. I reckon his knee will be fine... having done a knee once doesn't necessarily mean he'll do another one. Sometimes it's just bad luck rather than something predispositional.

Would be very happy to pick him up. Hopefully we do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back