Competitions 2014 DT/SC Questions, Discussions etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that he's been selected in this week's team, does the fact he lacks a pre-season mean he's almost guaranteed to be a sub?

Yeah, I could see that, but just as much though that he would be a perfect impact type of player ideal as a sub also....

If you pick him, just don't make him E this week. Most people probably have Rowan as their E now anyway....

I now have him in my team, I think he will get a lot of games this year (barring injuries of course).

It is possible, he has veen here long enough to start pushing into the midfield. I think it will only be stints, 5min a qtr or something, as he wouldnt have the tank to run a full game, but there might be an increase in his scoring. If Taylor can get himself into the team in that sub / hf, small forward role that Green has currently been playing, he might get a bit more midfield time if Taylor can do a good job. Green is by far our best small forward, so he is still needed there, he would be doing some midfield time to help develop him as a player.

Worth noting Green played as a mid in under 18, so its not foreign to him.

Only other thing that had to be mentioned is vest risk. Different coach and different year, but he has been in that vest a fair bit. If enough youngsters can push for games this year, they might help take the vest off him though. Aish looks set to play full games, so youll need 1 probably 2 other young players outside of Aish to really ensure Green is off the vest list.

We are playing taller up forward this year, so I do wonder if our red vests will go to a tall player for a small to help increase the run at the end of games. Very hard to tell under a new coach with a new plan so early in the season.

Hi guys,

Really keen on getting Zorko in this round as a correction trade. Did he spend most of his time on the ball? If so, he's a lock F6. I obviously didn't see the game.

Cheers ...

Hi guys,

Really keen on getting Zorko in this round as a correction trade. Did he spend most of his time on the ball? If so, he's a lock F6. I obviously didn't see the game.

Cheers ...
22 of his 28 possies were in the midfield zone. 3 inside attacking 50 zone. Was at 10 centre bounces.

Source: Fantasy Freako newsletter.

In other words: do it. FWIW he was my only Lions lock this year. Still not sure about Hanley.

22 of his 28 possies were in the midfield zone. 3 inside attacking 50 zone. Was at 10 centre bounces.

Source: Fantasy Freako newsletter.

In other words: do it. FWIW he was my only Lions lock this year. Still not sure about Hanley.

Cheers greatly.

Now all I need is Guy McKenna to come to the selection table so I can downgrade another underwhelming crab to upgrade to Zorko.

Thanks for the quick response.

He doesnt tag and wont do tagging roles. He might at times go head to head with the oppositions best mid.
Well he played a pretty close head to head game against Mitchell where he basically followed him into the backline (which had him in the forwards) which it's hard to see him going their for that amount of time if he wasn't playing a follow with role.

Hopefully that's a one off where he plays the head to heads like he did against Mitchell in the midfield but not follow them to other positions of the ground unless he needs a rest himself.

Need help... for this week who would you have in your team out of green and brown (keepers league so no trades). Need to take one out to get Yarrans (emerg) score active

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its sad, and indicative of modern footy when a player has an opponent its immediately considered tagging. To tag, your number 1 job is take them out of the game. Rocky clearly wasnt doing that in the first quarter, and when he found himself in the forward line still manged to kick another 2 goals. It was a match up, he was tasked to play on mitchell and beat him, which he did.

The over reaction to 'tagging' is silly. You could argue just as much that mitchell was tagging rocky, as he was dragged to defense to get rocky away from the ball. Sounds like a very defensive move to me.

He matched Mitchell for possessions and kicked 3 goals... when has a tagger ever done that?? Clearly a head to head duel.
He had 12 possessions in the 1st quarter alone yet only managed another 7 in the rest of the game as he played the majority of it as a forward instead of a midfielder. Wouldn't make much sense to take him out of the midfield given just how much of it he had in the 1st unless he was playing a follow with role. The positive for Brisbane is he was able to make quite an impact on the scoreboard.

You could argue just as much that mitchell was tagging rocky, as he was dragged to defense to get rocky away from the ball. Sounds like a very defensive move to me.
It was a defensive move from Hawthorn, I'm not sure how Mitchell moving to the backline and having someone follow him there makes Mitchell the tagger. I think Hawthorn identified that Rocky was smashing him in the head to head match up in the midfield and decided to move Mitchell into the backline to see if Rocky would follow him. He did and it removed Brisbane's major ball winner from the midfield.

Again, not all was lost given he was able to kick a couple of goals after that move but he managed 5 more disposals in the first quarter than what he was able to get for the following 3 quarters combined.

Point still remains... there is a difference between a match up and a tag. Yes he followed Mitchell forward but he hardly played a defensive stopping role on him, kicking 2 more goals whilst there is evidence of that.

How far the game has fallen in 10 years is quiet sad.

Point still remains... there is a difference between a match up and a tag. Yes he followed Mitchell forward but he hardly played a defensive stopping role on him, kicking 2 more goals whilst there is evidence of that.
Plenty of taggers can kick goals on their opponent. I don't believe Rockliff played a hard tag role but he/Brisbane were rather mindful of the match up otherwise we would have seen Rocky return to the midfield which he didn't.

Now back to a fantasy perspective, I've got no issue if he plays a match up/h2h gig with an opposition player as he showed the ability to score well in the first quarter last week. What I've got an issue with is if he follows players to other positions of the ground for a large period of time like he did last week. If he does that then he's no good as a premium midfielder but if he sticks to playing the majority of his game in the midfield (like I think/hope he will) then he's still a fine prospect to hold onto.

How far the game has fallen in 10 years is quiet sad.
Easy how a Brisbane supporter can say that given where you guys were 10 years ago ;)

I'd say the game has changed a lot, it hasn't gotten worse in a sense, just played very differently which I'm sure the same will be said in another 10 years.

Its simply too hard to know what Leppa will do with him. If the same thing happened again, he might just keep him in the middle to see how that pans out. New coach implementing a new game plan, nothing is in concrete, tweaks are being done, and Leppa is still learning about the players, and where he is best to use them in the way he wants us to play.

If they were all off the back of goals there would be concerns as it isn't realistic to expect him to kick a bag each week.

Hey Lions fans,

I'm looking to upgrade one of these useless forward rookies & my eyes have landed on Sam Mayes.

I've seen a couple of posts earlier within this thread on him, but the main question I have is - Did he have an full / uninterrupted preseason?

I ask because I remember hearing last year from within the club that he was blowing up the GPS with his hard running. As a 2nd year player if he was able to improve on that tank &/or bulk up a fraction this year then I may be able to sneak him in now as an F6 in my final team if he can average 90-95 in the midfield.

All opinions would be welcome, thanks!

What's Lewis Taylor's job security like at the moment? Looked very good on the weekend!
Has he shed the vest or is he still in danger of it with Rocky and a couple of others returning?
I'm tossing up between him and Patrick Ambrose at the moment as a cash cow, so would love some thoughts!

Thanks heaps in advance!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back