Competitions 2014 DT/SC Questions, Discussions etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Taylor has done very well to work his way into the team off the back of a limited preseason and just about no preseason games. He is obviously rated very highly, and i thought did well racking up some good ball in his first full game. It looks as if we will be playing Aish and Taylor a lot this year, and with maybe another young player here or there, 1 of the 3 is always going to have the vest hanging above their head. We are playing a taller forward line this year compared to last year, and we seem to be working with the structure of taking off a tall for a running sub. I think we will stick with this structure until at least McGuane gets back. That means the vest risk is going to be green rather than red, which is certainly what you don't want for Taylor.

Mayes has just kicked on from last year, doesn't look like any 2nd year blues for him. The only concern i would have is that he is a little too good up forward for us, which means he might spend a bit more time there. Whilst it's good when he is kicking goals, i'm not sure he can maintain a 90 odd score if he can't hit the score board. I think something around 80-85 would be a more realistic average to expect. He certainly has the ability to do 90+, but i'm just not sure if he can do that consistently.

Thoughts on Leunberger? Is it worth sticking with him or do you guys reckon with West in the side his scores are going to to stay in the 70-90 range?

If bergs can get his scoring up, I think it will be in the 2nd half of the year when he has settled in with west and the game plan more. He can pick up some marks around the ground, and we are playing more possession footy, but just hasnt been a good chance for it yet. he spent a lot more time on the bench and out of the center v the hawks I think, probably just trying to rest his ankle a bit.

Thoughts on Zorko? Can someone tell me why he is scoring so well? Will Rockliff returning to his normal role (ala not tagging Sammy Mitchell) impact upon Zorko's scores?

Zorko fitness is up and him along with Green are spending more time in the midfield. Zorko's move to the midfield was talked about all preseason, so it's of no surprise. He is one of our main mids at center bounces now as well. I don't think Rocky coming back will change this. The move of Rich and Hanley back into the backline has opened up some time in the middle for a couple of players, Zorko and Green seem to be the 2 getting the most. Whether or not Zorko can keep it up though, who knows. Also depends how important he is for us in the middle and if opposition teams start putting some time into him.

Looks a solid choice, especially up forward. He has had an impact for us in the middle, and that is reflected in his SC scoring as well.

Would I be correct in saying Zorko didn't spend much in the midfield (well compared to his 2012 season) last season because of what he was able to provide in the forward line? Rockliff the same in that sense in adding forward targets/defensive pressure in perhaps an area your side was lacking? If so, have the likes of Mayes and Taylor (haven't seen much of him but I'm guessing he's been playing in the forward line?) possibly allowed Zorko to push up the ground more (few others such as Green although he was more of a regular in the side)?

Half right. Zorko and rocky did play up forward more last year, probably to help as they are goal scores and add some defensive pressure. Zorko has been a full rover mid so far this year, playing midfield and attending a lot of center bounces. Green has also seen more time up the ground, although he still spends plenty of time forward as well. I think he was quoted in the preseadon saying they are looking at giving him 5 of the 20min each quarter in the middle to help develop that part of his game. I think part of playing Rocky and Zorko forward last year was also to make room for players like Lester who is developing as an on baller.

This year with a new coach and play style some things have changed. Greeb and zorko look likr getting more midfiekd time. This is being helped by our game plan of getting more numbers to the ball, Aish and Mayes playing those wing / HF roles to free up Zorko and Green more to play midfield. Also Rich and Hanley have been moved back to the back line to steady us bringing the ball out of defense. This has created some spots for them to play.

The unknown is Rocky. He has played 1 quarter in the midfield this year, so no doubt his absence has created more opportunity. How much time for others disappears when Rocky returns to the middle is unknown, but as shown, its not just Rocky who has made space.

On Taylor, he played mainly in the midfield as far as I could tell v geelong. Certainly wasnt playing a small forward role.

These Brisbane selections are never easy ones!

Was very keen on Zorko early in the pre season and reports were coming out stating he'd had a much strong pre season and he'd struggled with a hip injury last year but in the same article it said he'd do much the same as what he did in 2012 in which it went on to state his forward stats (don't think it was a direct quote for him to play in the forward line again this year though). I think in the pre season game/s he played he was mainly in the forward line for the majority of games pushing up the field at HFF so I'd basically put a cross in his name. From that he's then gone on, as has been mentioned in this thread already to have attended the most centre bounces in this Brisbane side (or something like that) so it's two very different roles. Again, like Rocky, I've got no doubt in my mind I want him if he's playing as a midfielder (at least for the majority of the game) and would like to avoid if he's a forward first.

Fingers crossed that he holds this sort of role as I think I'll be jumping on board this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wing/Half Forward, from what I saw. Rested in a pocket.

Yeah got amongst it a bit, but most of his touches were in the middle, not up forward was the main point. Wasnt roving center bounces all day or anything.

They will all play forward to a degree as they will rest there, but its to what ratIo mid to forward that matters. With the game in game plan, even at HF I think players will be more involved than last year under Voss. HF are used up around the ball more under Leppa. I think zorko will increase this year, if not to full keeper, he at least should go up in price and will do better than last year.

If u expect an average over 100 he will probably disappoint, I brought him in this wek, and think he can finish the year around early 90s average.

Hey guys, good luck this week against 'stinky pants' Gold Coast:p Just wondering what the news is on Stefan Martin, it say's he's a test, any chance he will play this week? He would seem like a good avenue to goal as well as a chop out in the ruck.

Think Stef has missed a bit of footy, I think he will need to earn his way back via the 2nds first. Might be an option to bring in as the 2nd key forward if/when Close needs a break. I like some of Martin's attributes, and id like to see what he could do under Leppa's style of play.

Our HF line does seem to push up the ground further to actually get involved with the play. Certainly not playing inside 50 or simply there to chase and apply pressure. Much more of a true HF/mid role.
Seeing them live it was noteworthy seeing the half forwards and half backs start centre bounces 1/3 of the way along the centre square, making for a lot of congestion a lot of the time. Meant that there was a massive hole between the centre bounce and forwards / backs. Really stood out when we'd occasionally win the centre bounce and bomb it long.

We haven't really had hf flankers since the Premiership years... they have either made there way to the midfield to be more involved or been pretty anonymous.

I try. I'm not always right, but i try. Watch Leppa camp Zorko and Rocky in the forward line for the rest of the year, Mayes average 120 and Bergs average over 100 for the rest of the year just to make me look silly.

I try. I'm not always right, but i try. Watch Leppa camp Zorko and Rocky in the forward line for the rest of the year, Mayes average 120 and Bergs average over 100 for the rest of the year just to make me look silly.

Thoughts on Luey, chopper?

What the * man!!
Haha just kidding, Zorko disappointing today, but at least he still found a bit of the ball. Rocky looked very good today, hope he keeps it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back