2014 Emirates Melbourne Cup Day discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

While I obviously agree re: riding tactics - solidly sensationalist and OTT from Presnell.

The number of horses I've backed that stop as if shot at the 500m would number in the hundreds - and we don't demand an enquiry every time it happens!

Obviously they thought the pace was going to be slower than it was, I'm not sure there is much else to it. I would be more interested in why My Ambivalent went out like a scalded cat for a horse who was already suspect at the trip. Overall though, meh, it's come and gone. Don't need to make a big song and dance about it now

While I obviously agree re: riding tactics - solidly sensationalist and OTT from Presnell.

The number of horses I've backed that stop as if shot at the 500m would number in the hundreds - and we don't demand an enquiry every time it happens!

Still, O'Brien was grilled to the point of being insulted in 2008. This is the nation's biggest race and an international showpiece. The tactics should've been queried, but the anomaly was allowed to slide in the shitstorm that followed the horse's death.

Even had I not had a personal stake/losing bet, I'd still find the postscript unsatisfactory at this stage.

Last edited:

Still, O'Brien was grilled to the point of being insulted in 2008. This is the nation's biggest race and an international showpiece. The tactics should've been queried, but the anomaly was allowed to slide in the shitstorm that followed the horse's death.

That was a lot different, he was using his 2 stable mates to set a cracking pace and basically be pacemakers for Septimus to get cover in behind

AR just pushed forward similar to Delta Blues but got caught out when the leader put the foot down

That was a lot different, he was using his 2 stable mates to set a cracking pace and basically be pacemakers for Septimus to get cover in behind

AR just pushed forward similar to Delta Blues but got caught out when the leader put the foot down

Good jockeys don't get caught out like that. Plenty of Cups have had lone long-odds tearaways which finished nowhere. We're talking about a runner carrying more money than any of the other 200,000-odd this year. If the horse took hold, then say so.

Anyway I'm not going to harp on it, just agree with Presnell that questions have been left hanging.

Last edited:
Obviously they thought the pace was going to be slower than it was, I'm not sure there is much else to it. I would be more interested in why My Ambivalent went out like a scalded cat for a horse who was already suspect at the trip. Overall though, meh, it's come and gone. Don't need to make a big song and dance about it now

My Ambivalent at least has a history of dominating from on pace throughout her career. Admire Ratki had no such history - even if you thought there was no pace on it was an EXTREMELY surprising decision.

Don't remember people predicting a ton of pace in the CC and he had no problems winning from back in the field.

"Mr Purton explained that the horse got much further back than connections had hoped in the Caulfield Cup after being beaten out of the gates and then shuffled back by other runners in the rush to the first corner. In the Melbourne Cup the horse jumped on better terms and was able to take up a desired position in the leading division with the longer run to the first turn. His pre-race instructions to be running in the first six were consistent with the horse’s overall racing pattern in Japan. In all circumstances we are satisfied with the riding tactics of Mr Purton in the Melbourne Cup."

- Chief Steward Bailey

I disagree, Purton allowed the horse to settle rearwards at Caulfield from the same gate, but there it is.

http://www.racing.com/news/2014-11-19/no-case-to-answer-for-purton-on-cup-ride

Just waiting on the drug testing now.

Last edited:
"Mr Purton explained that the horse got much further back than connections had hoped in the Caulfield Cup after being beaten out of the gates and then shuffled back by other runners in the rush to the first corner. In the Melbourne Cup the horse jumped on better terms and was able to take up a desired position in the leading division with the longer run to the first turn. His pre-race instructions to be running in the first six were consistent with the horse’s overall racing pattern in Japan. In all circumstances we are satisfied with the riding tactics of Mr Purton in the Melbourne Cup."

- Chief Steward Bailey

I disagree, Purton allowed the horse to settle rearwards at Caulfield from the same gate, but there it is.

http://www.racing.com/news/2014-11-19/no-case-to-answer-for-purton-on-cup-ride

Just waiting on the drug testing now.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-19/admire-rakti-autopsy-report-still-weeks-away/5903974

He missed the kick half a length at Caulfield and just got shuffled to the back half. Purton never pulled him to settle in the back half

Didn't seek to take up a position either. As for the claim that the Flemington ride was consistent with tactics in Japan...a YouTube search says bollocks.

He didn't have a choice at Caulfield, he was right up the back of another horse and had runners coming across him. Then he had another one force off the inside in front of him. There was nothing he could do there even if he wanted to be on speed

Didn't seek to take up a position either. As for the claim that the Flemington ride was consistent with tactics in Japan...a YouTube search says bollocks.

100% agree re the claim it was in line with his usual tactics - that is a laughable comment. If JC had rode it they would have been tearing down the grandstand on race day.

#nothingsuss

100% agree re the claim it was in line with his usual tactics - that is a laughable comment. If JC had rode it they would have been tearing down the grandstand on race day.

#nothingsuss

I accept that Purton rode to a very liberal interpretation of the instructions he was given. Not necessarily suss, but dumb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could never work out why My Ambivalent wasn't set for the Cox Plate - That was its race.

Hopeless with the trifectas, Red Bridesmaid again. Recouped some with Perfectionist though.

First winner from Herbert Power (as last raced). Rogan Josh did the double though too.

Since 1999 only three Melbourne Cup winners have ran in the Herbert Power as part of their lead-up campaign towards the Melbourne Cup:

1999: Rogan Josh (53kg) - won the Herbert Power by 2 lengths

2009: Shocking (52kg) - 2nd in the Herbert Power, beaten by 3.25 lengths

2014: Protectionist (59kg) - 4th in the Herbert Power, beaten by 0.9 lengths

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back