2014 FIFA World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

C'mon Coata Rica!

What a story this is turning out to be. A win this morning over Greece now sees them through to the quarter finals.

Nobody gave them any hope of progressing through the group stage (they were placed in the 2nd toughest group), yet not only did they progress but they actually finished top of the group.

Now they find themselves in the final 8 for the first time in their history, with a huge match against the Dutch to come. Can they do the unthinkable and top them to reach the final 4?

You'd have to say 'surely not', but this is the beauty of the World Cup - anything can happen.

Lets hope they can do it one more time (at least)!

Definitely on the French bandwagon, think they're a sneaky chance to take the whole thing.

The France v Germany quarter final on Sunday morning is going to be amazing viewing!!!

France has never been short on talent, that's for sure.

They have always been extremely talented but mentally never quite there. For the past decade or so in particular there have been distractions and plenty of internal issues which have really held them back.

Now they seem to be controlling those issues to an extent and letting their football do the talking...and because of that, it's no surprise they've looked outstanding.

A real dark horse.

I'm liking Belgium. Love the way they go about it. If they had Benteke as well they'd be even better too.

Belgium has a wonderful squad but despite making it through now to the final 8, I haven't been overly impressed with what they have managed to produce.

Sure they haven't lost a game thus far, and ultimately that's all that counts, but they've not been particularly convincing. Algeria 2-1, Russia 1-0, Korea 1-0, USA 2-1....not exactly inspiring victories.

They now face Argentina and I'll be stunned if they manage to overcome them.

Belgium has a wonderful squad but despite making it through now to the final 8, I haven't been overly impressed with what they have managed to produce.

Sure they haven't lost a game thus far, and ultimately that's all that counts, but they've not been particularly convincing. Algeria 2-1, Russia 1-0, Korea 1-0, USA 2-1....not exactly inspiring victories.

They now face Argentina and I'll be stunned if they manage to overcome them.
I'd be stunned if they won too, but wouldn't put it past them also. They've scrapped their way to victory in almost every match and that's all that matters. Argentina had to scrap for it today as well against someone they should have beaten much earlier too. Should be a tense cracker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be all that stunned - I backed them pre-tournament as a potential dark horse after watching them in the qualifiers - given their defensive structure and talent throughout the park.

They have almost the perfect attacking midfield/striker set up for counter attacking, and their pace down the flanks is awesome.

Argentina have shown to be susceptible to the quick ball in and maybe the Belgians can expose that.

.... only if Tintin plays.

Last edited:
and as for Greece ...

I may be a bit harsh but I really still can't get over how people are lauding Greece's World Cup as a success.

Ranked #12 in the World, lost only one match in qualification yet everyone is making out they are a bunch of hacks that got lucky, reality is the talent pool is quite large and we should of gotten further with the squad we have. Then again, most have followed Greek football for about 5 mins.

Let's all applaud the fact that they couldn't beat a 'meh' Costa Rica side with 10 men for 56 mins, it wasn't brave, it was weak!

Fernando Santos today abandoned going back to Greece with the team instead going to Portugal and blamed the players for all the shortcomings. This man who hamstrung the side with inept tactics, ridiculous selections based on personal loyalties (FFS Katsouranis!) that clouded his judgement and the man who cannot take any blame possible. ie/ the selection of Gekas ahead of the likes of Athanasiadis, Karellis, etc just to name one

Thank god he is finished and won't be coach again.

Good luck Claudio Ranieri!

End Rant

and as for Greece ...

I may be a bit harsh but I really still can't get over how people are lauding Greece's World Cup as a success.

Ranked #12 in the World, lost only one match in qualification yet everyone is making out they are a bunch of hacks that got lucky, reality is the talent pool is quite large and we should of gotten further with the squad we have. Then again, most have followed Greek football for about 5 mins.

Let's all applaud the fact that they couldn't beat a 'meh' Costa Rica side with 10 men for 56 mins, it wasn't brave, it was weak!

Fernando Santos today abandoned going back to Greece with the team instead going to Portugal and blamed the players for all the shortcomings. This man who hamstrung the side with inept tactics, ridiculous selections based on personal loyalties (FFS Katsouranis!) that clouded his judgement and the man who cannot take any blame possible. ie/ the selection of Gekas ahead of the likes of Athanasiadis, Karellis, etc just to name one

Thank god he is finished and won't be coach again.

Good luck Claudio Ranieri!

End Rant
Wait a minute (and i'm not having a go here), Greece are ranked 12? Holy s**t that's surprising. They're ahead of some very good sides.

I don't take too much notice of those rankings, official as they may be.

Portugal as 4th best side in the world is absolutely laughable. Shouldn't be in the top 10.
Yep, the rankings are terrible. Portugal clearly aren't the 4th best side in the world. France are definitely better than the 17th best side in the world. The system is terrible.

Belgium have a very young squad, anything that happens in Brazil is a bonus. They'll be a real threat come 2018.

Yep, the rankings are terrible. Portugal clearly aren't the 4th best side in the world. France are definitely better than the 17th best side in the world. The system is terrible.

The ranking system really is terrible and I've said as much for years.

I used to always have a laugh at the USA being ranked inside the top 10 sides in the world despite clearly not deserving such a high ranking.

It's not overly difficult to do well through the CONCACAF qualifying when you come up against world powerhouses including Canada, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Cuba and the British Virgin Islands. :)

Really the only competition in that region of any note is Mexico, Costa Rica and Honduras.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back