2014 Formula One World Championship - Round Nineteen - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (21-23 November 2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

With all this arguing about whop had the most mechanical failure etc, does anyone think that they should go back to the system where your worst 4 or 5 results or whatever werent counted ?
To me it takes out the luck factor a fair bit and it also encourages braver driving since cruising around for a bunch of consistent and safe 2nd and 3rds wont get it done.
I wouldn't have a problem if the rule was introduced. My only issue is that it 4-5 is a touch too much allowance. For 17+ races, I'd be ok with 3. With 16-, it'd be 2.

Never understood the merits of it.

To finish first, first you have to finish.
Really? It allows a margin of error.

The merits are that it encourages a driver and team to take risks, if you're say 3rd with a fairly equal car in second, you have to risk 15 points to gain an extra 3. Its not worth trying to push to overtake or push the engine or tyres to get past. You just try to overtake in the pits or hope for a mistake because you dont want to risk going out and get nothing.

If you know that you can wipe the race from the championship if sometihng goes wrong then you can just go for it. It also evens it out if 1 driver has say 4-5 failures while another has 1 or 2.

F1 should be about going all out as fast as you can, not being reliable and consistent and conserving the tyres/motor etc.
Drivers need to take risks anyway. back under the 10 8 6 5 4 3 2 1 points system, risk taking was less beneficial. You could stay very much in title contention with a string of second places.

Now? There's a bit jump in points from 2nd to 1st that's worth going for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back