2014 Formula One World Championship - Round One: Australian Grand Prix (14-16 March 2014)

Who will win the 2014 Australian Grand Prix?

• Felipe Massa

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Valtteri Bottas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lewis Hamilton

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Nico Rosberg

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Sebatian Vettel

• Daniel Ricciardo

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Fernando Alonso

• Kimi Raïkkönen

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What I don't get is that race officials knew 5 laps into the race. Why then let him race for another 52 laps and 6 hours later DQ him? Shambles from both sides and poor Dan was stuck in the middle.

Just speechless, was there today and thought he drove amazingly well, really gutted for him.

I suppose in the end we all know the guy can drive and will win races this year but still for it to happen at his home gp just gutted

So as I read that, the officials recognised there were issues with the sensor but thought near enough was good enough with the readings the sensor was showing. Because they chose to go down the suck it up path rather than acknowledge the issue and allow the alternate method, Red Bull find themselves in this position.

In the end, yeah ******* stupid by Red Bull to challenge officialdom but one person saying hey there's an issue with the sensor use the alternate method is the difference between second spot and a DQ.

Again, what confuses me is, i thought the tanks could only be filled to pretty much last the duration of the race plus an in lap, out lap and formation lap. If he was using too much fuel, wouldn't he just run out of fuel?

So as I read that, the officials recognised there were issues with the sensor but thought near enough was good enough with the readings the sensor was showing. Because they chose to go down the suck it up path rather than acknowledge the issue and allow the alternate method, Red Bull find themselves in this position.

In the end, yeah ******* stupid by Red Bull to challenge officialdom but one person saying hey there's an issue with the sensor use the alternate method is the difference between second spot and a DQ.

Again, what confuses me is, i thought the tanks could only be filled to pretty much last the duration of the race plus an in lap, out lap and formation lap. If he was using too much fuel, wouldn't he just run out of fuel?

They had an extra warm up lap plus a safety car period, they both save fuel for later use.

Last edited:
I don't understand why flow rate matters so much
Just say this is the size fuel tank you can have. If you aren't economical enough to finish the race, tough t***ies

Seb's vent on team radio to his engineers when his car failed:

"Do something!"
"That's ridiculous guys!"

And some on here still want to defend him. :rolleyes:

It's no wonder he gets booed.

However, Mark Webber often said the same things to his team, but it was okay when he did it.

You wouldn't have a problem with Vettel if he were Australian.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EXCLUSIVE transcript of Lewis' radio yesterday

"Hello there chaps. Yes Lewis here. I say the engine does seem to be a trifle off if I do say so....no no bother, I guess I'll just push on shall I? It does seem to be lacking power entirely but no bother, it's just fortunate we're not in some kind of MOTOR race what what! Haha...oh come again? Oh well doesn't that just take the biscuit. We ARE in some kind of motor race? In fact, we are in an exact motor race? Well I guess I'll just shove on and keep going with this engine then shall I? Jolly good. Tally ho!"

A higher rate, means Dan could benefit from extra power. That power could've helped him hold off Magnussen, for instance.

I'm not totally across the minutia of this, but I would have thought that since the cars are not refuelled during the race, it shouldn't matter what the fuel rate is if they all have the same amount of fuel to get them to the end.

Notwithstanding the fact that rules are rules.

I'm not totally across the minutia of this, but I would have thought that since the cars are not refuelled during the race, it shouldn't matter what the fuel rate is if they all have the same amount of fuel to get them to the end.

Notwithstanding the fact that rules are rules.
I imagine that normally it wouldn't, but with an extra formation lap and safety car periods, they would've had more fuel to play with than they would've thought. And if Dan was able to use a higher fuel flow rate than the others, that would obviously mean more power with that extra fuel.

Do agree though that it would be best if they just said "you get 100kg and no more" and then it was up to the team to manage efficiency to get it to the end while still having enough power to be competitive

I imagine that normally it wouldn't, but with an extra formation lap and safety car periods, they would've had more fuel to play with than they would've thought. And if Dan was able to use a higher fuel flow rate than the others, that would obviously mean more power with that extra fuel.

In regards to yesterday, absolutely.

At the end of the day everybody has to be on a level playing field.

One question is, surely the stewards would have noticed this issue in qualifying. Conspiracy theory tells me though that they did, but let it be as they wanted the publicity of the local lad on the front row of the grid.
Well the sensor was changed on Saturday night.

A higher rate, means Dan could benefit from extra power. That power could've helped him hold off Magnussen, for instance.
Whilst rules are rules I dont see how it matters. It SHOULD be fill the car up to the 100kgs and use it as you wish. However those are not the rules and I cant see how they can win the arguement.

Shame for Dan as he drove superbly all weekend in an inferior car, or at very least a severely hampered one. Did not make an error and did the country proud, might get a win or 2 later this year.

Well that's it isnt it, you have the same amount of fuel but one uses it at a higher rate than the other, that one runs out. Simplistic perhaps, but to me it makes sense.

Back