Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take, the club potentially sees Merrett as a necessary stop gap for a year or two while Frost develops.

We may have covered our bases as best possible without him but it's clear Roos is not leaving any stone unturned. Whilst he's a washed up ranga dog I see this as a clear sign that a lot more importance has been placed on our climb. Natural development and broadening our gameplan will see us improve, Merrett isn't key to that but he plugs a hole which otherwise would have been a nuisance and sapped our momentum.

From that pov I'm looking forward to next season.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Sorry it was Marty Pask and after getting some nice feedback he has admitted he maybe didnt do the Melbourne side of the deal properly

Some of the suggestions are mind boggling though
Talking about Geelong using Burbury or someone in the Clark trade, why would we take someone who is being delisted?

Also Taylor Hunt? Awesome another Aidan Riley/Jordie Mckenzie etc

demon21

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2003
Tasmania
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
melbourne/Chargers
Merrett doesn't make sense for you guys at all. Lumumba does IMO.

I think you should also target Hallahan and Woodward from the hawks Both have been excellent at box hill this year.

Merrett would most likely be our last resort but we need a replacement for Frawley i would hope that Frost from GWS would be our main target.

I think you should also target Hallahan and Woodward from the hawks Both have been excellent at box hill this year.

Good call... I have heard they rate Anderson highly too, however I think they would be very reluctant to give up any promising young mids given the age profile of their midfield - Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis are all getting on (even if they don't always play in the middle).

Oct 5, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtics
Oh my god there are some horrible trades being thrown up by tristan fernandes

Collingwood Recieves Pick 2,3
Melbourne Recieves Pick 4, Merrett
Brisbane Recieves Beams

Why the **** would we give up basically pick 3 for Merrett
**** these guys are retarted

Ive heard some shockers so far this week, but that takes the cake.

Not now, not ever would ANYONE consider that.

Viney

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2006
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ive heard some shockers so far this week, but that takes the cake.

Not now, not ever would ANYONE consider that.

usure?

896700-mark-neeld.jpg

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good call... I have heard they rate Anderson highly too, however I think they would be very reluctant to give up any promising young mids given the age profile of their midfield - Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis are all getting on (even if they don't always play in the middle).

Yes they rate Anderson very highly, don't think we'd have much chance, but then again apparently they might be after O'Rourke, which might squeeze someone else out.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Hallahan and Woodward have won the VFL League BnF the last two years, Hallahan was promised games this year but really only 2-3 here and there. I doubt he'll get much more next year, even if they move on Sewell.

I think they would both be gettable and they'd add significantly to your depth. Sam grimley would be another that could play the ruck/forward role for you.

If you were to get Frost and Grimley it would add significanly to your young KP stocks.

Throw in two premium mids with pick 3,4 and your side is looking a whole lot more competitive.

How do you guys feel about your ruck situation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
How do you guys feel about your ruck situation?

It's not good but it's a lot better than the situation on the rest of the field. Mids, forwards, backs then rucks.

It's not good but it's a lot better than the situation on the rest of the field. Mids, forwards, backs then rucks.
Yeah we have bigger fish to fry unfortunately. Jamar is getting on but still solid; Spencer is a big lump who can at least give a contest but not much more; Gawn will hopefully step up into more of a first ruck role next year after doing his best work resting forward this year; Fitzpatrick is a mystery; and King is a rookie-listed beanpole who's a long way off it.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I was thinking Giles could be a good option aswell. Send a 2nd round pick up to GWS for Frost and Giles. Giles is big bodied and gives it his all, I think he'd be an upgrade on the declining Jamar.

Then with your first pick hope to God McCartin is still there along with Brayshaw.

B: Garland, McDonald, Dunn
HB: Grimes, Frost, Howe
C: Salem, Viney, Vince
HF: Watts, Dawes, Brayshaw
F: McCartin, Hogan, JKH
R: Giles, Tyson, Jones
Int: Trengove, Cross, Pedersen
sub: Riley/Michie

Throw in a mature type like Woodward/Hallahan or someone like Lyons from Adelaide and there is an extra layer of midfield depth.

I know its been a long road, but I think with roos and co your heading in the right direction!

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oh my lord that is amazing... did he actually suggest that himself?

No doubt followed by the other host saying "oh yeah that sounds fair for all parties involved"
A caller suggested it and he took it on board. I think after a while he realised maybe it's not so good for Melbourne. Certainly not a everyone wins situation. What benefit would Melbourne get from downgrading 2 to 4 and losing pick 3 for merret who is worth a 4th rounder at best.

I was thinking Giles could be a good option aswell. Send a 2nd round pick up to GWS for Frost and Giles. Giles is big bodied and gives it his all, I think he'd be an upgrade on the declining Jamar.

Then with your first pick hope to God McCartin is still there along with Brayshaw.

Throw in a mature type like Woodward/Hallahan or someone like Lyons from Adelaide and there is an extra layer of midfield depth.

I know its been a long road, but I think with roos and co your heading in the right direction!
Reasonable suggestions; that is a stupidly tall back-line though and Jetta would slot in there somewhere, probably for Frost.
The midfield would be a bigger priority than Giles though, so if we could get a decent player for the midfield with our 2nd I'd rather that and try and work another way of getting Frost.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Reasonable suggestions; that is a stupidly tall back-line though and Jetta would slot in there somewhere, probably for Frost.
The midfield would be a bigger priority than Giles though, so if we could get a decent player for the midfield with our 2nd I'd rather that and try and work another way of getting Frost.

I don't mind that backline. Jetta fits in somewhere, but McDonald and Frost take the two talls, and Garland, Dunn, Grimes and Howe are all pretty versatile players. Garland and Dunn can play on smaller players so I don't think it's too tall. Kent also gets a run and quite frankly I'd take Gawn at CHF ahead of Dawes. Looked much more capable of taking a contested grab and he's starting to string games together now so hopefully is building a bit of a tank.

Agree re: Giles, if we picked him up for peanuts, fine, but otherwise with Gawn, Jamar, Spencer and Fitz, it's not an area we need to recruit for ahead of everywhere else on the pitch. An okay but not great ruckman is nothing to get excited about.

DeeWong6996

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is Frost starting quality? I know he has the potential to be down the road but right now Dunn, McDonald and Garland seem adequate to me. I was under the impression he would be given time to develop down at Casey and potentially play a few games if the situation dictated it.

ThaiBarmats

Senior List
Oct 15, 2009
Thailand
AFL Club
Melbourne
'Then with your first pick hope to God McCartin is still there along with Brayshaw.

sub: Riley/Michie'

Looks abit tall. Like to see Toumpas, Stretch and Harry Lumumba in there somewhere.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Not a bad effort, but I think Gawn will be our number 1 ruck next year. He is going to be something special if his knees hold up.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Must admit I don't like the idea of all the players we're linked to being talls. I trust Roos, but not sure how many more key defenders we need

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club
Must admit I don't like the idea of all the players we're linked to being talls. I trust Roos, but not sure how many more key defenders we need
We don't have much in the way of KP depth though with Clark and Frawley gone. I like the idea of getting Frost since he won't cost us much. Merrett, not so much.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We don't have much in the way of KP depth though with Clark and Frawley gone. I like the idea of getting Frost since he won't cost us much. Merrett, not so much.

Yeah I agree. As long as Frost is cheap. A big no to Merrett, Gwilt. Lumumba a maybe - he does add dash and line-breaking ability which we don't have much of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back