Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind that backline. Jetta fits in somewhere, but McDonald and Frost take the two talls, and Garland, Dunn, Grimes and Howe are all pretty versatile players. Garland and Dunn can play on smaller players so I don't think it's too tall. Kent also gets a run and quite frankly I'd take Gawn at CHF ahead of Dawes. Looked much more capable of taking a contested grab and he's starting to string games together now so hopefully is building a bit of a tank.
Dunn and Garlo can play small if needed but it isn't really ideal. They're good for matching up smaller marking players, but at ground level they're pretty average and would be beaten by a lot of small forwards. Also, we wouldn't be getting much run out of defence with all them blokes down there.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dunn and Garlo can play small if needed but it isn't really ideal. They're good for matching up smaller marking players, but at ground level they're pretty average and would be beaten by a lot of small forwards. Also, we wouldn't be getting much run out of defence with all them blokes down there.

Dunno about the rebounding part. Grimes and Howe could be quite good rebounding defenders in theory, but the problem is we're so static all over the ground there's nowhere to run to other than straight into 5 opposition players most of the time. Our mediocre disposal and spread makes everyone look bad.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
With Frawley and Clark leaving, we'll be pretty damn light on for talls.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Merret and Frost.

Our next key forward... should provide a contest.

inflatable-characters.jpg

Jun 14, 2011
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC/NYY/LAL/Green Bay Packers/UW
Dunn Frost Jetta
McDonald Garland Lumumba

Vince Cross Varcoe

Trengove Dawes Howe
Hogan Merrett Kent

Jamar Jones Tyson

Watts Grimes Viney Kennedy Harris

If we could go into the season with that side, I'd be optimistic of improvement. Structurally it's pretty strong, and it's still got Salem, Toumpas, pick 2 and whoever we take for Frawley waiting to develop.

Needs more Dangerfield :p

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
I like the sound of Frost. A 21 year old key-back prospect I'd say would come cheaply as GWS don't appear to break balls over players wanting to return to their home state, could see him potentially combining with McDonald to hold down the spine in defence for the next decade. It's a punt worth taking.

Merrett I'm not as sold on, he's a 30 something year old with 2 years to run on his contract and Brisbane are saying he's only on the market if it's a good enough offer. If it was giving up little to nothing then hells yes but it's not so my preference would be to steer clear.

Looking good so far

Out Clark, Frawley

In Lumumba, Sauce Merrett :s

The Melbourne Demons shelter for the homeless and disadvantaged. Maybe we could get some government funding.

The Melbourne Demons shelter for the homeless and disadvantaged. Maybe we could get some government funding.

Lumumba could narrate and produce the application video for the government funding. Merrett could be the star - the poor, abandoned ranga that nobody wanted.

This thing pretty much writes itself.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Anyone else think its a serious problem how we cant even chase after free agents because they effect the Frawley compo

Equalisation going well

That's alright because next year we'll be able to throw the house at a free agent and get him.

*Jones leaves via free agency*

Well that's alright, because the next year we'll be able to take all that cap space and throw it a few good free agents.

*someone else leaves*

And so on until the end of time or free agency compensation picks are abolished, in which case we'd be much better off after getting nothing for our best players.

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
That's alright because next year we'll be able to throw the house at a free agent and get him.

*Jones leaves via free agency*

Well that's alright, because the next year we'll be able to take all that cap space and throw it a few good free agents.

*someone else leaves*

And so on until the end of time or free agency compensation picks are abolished, in which case we'd be much better off after getting nothing for our best players.
If Jones goes, who else is there...

Also I heard they are changing when the compo is issued. They said as soon as paper work is lodged you get your compo. If true, if Frawley goes day one day two we get compo awarded then day three we sign a free agent.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Also I heard they are changing when the compo is issued. They said as soon as paper work is lodged you get your compo. If true, if Frawley goes day one day two we get compo awarded then day three we sign a free agent.

If Jones goes, someone else will become our best player by default. So they'll have to go.

That system would work a lot better.

IanW

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
#Exers
I like the sound of Frost. A 21 year old key-back prospect I'd say would come cheaply as GWS don't appear to break balls over players wanting to return to their home state, could see him potentially combining with McDonald to hold down the spine in defence for the next decade. It's a punt worth taking.

Merrett I'm not as sold on, he's a 30 something year old with 2 years to run on his contract and Brisbane are saying he's only on the market if it's a good enough offer. If it was giving up little to nothing then hells yes but it's not so my preference would be to steer clear.

I'd be taking Giles as well, to fill the gap in age and experience between Jamar and Gawn.

If Frawley goes day one, on day two we get notification of what our compo is likely to be. Then at the end of the FA period, net of another FA moves, it gets awarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back