Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Frawley goes day one, on day two we get notification of what our compo is likely to be. Then at the end of the FA period, net of another FA moves, it gets awarded.
yeah right.

I thought they said they were going to actually award it so clubs had a chance to on trade that pick.

yeah right.

I thought they said they were going to actually award it so clubs had a chance to on trade that pick.
FA period starts - Fri 3rd Oct
Trade period starts - Mon 6th Oct

FA period ends - Sun 12th Oct
Trade period ends - Thur 16th Oct

So the AFL will give indicative views of FA compo so dealing can begin, but they won't be confirmed until 12th (could be later for RFA if the club is considering matching an offer)

Merrett is a spud.
Lumumba is an average player.
Varcoe is inconsistent, very hot and cold.

However we are kidding ourselves if we think these three dont improve our list and make our best 22.

Hell- Varcoe is probably our fourth or fifth best player.

Merrett is a spud.

However we are kidding ourselves if we think these three dont improve our list and make our best 22.

Apart from this one, that sentence is the most hyperbolic I've ever read.

A little worried about the trades we sound like we're getting. at this rate it sounds like we're getting a lot of defenders.
Gwilt
Lumumba
Merrett
Frost (all though i'm ok with Frost)

With the exceptions of Varcoe and Dangerfield (although we're kidding out selves with Dangerfield)
Some may call me crazy but i though our back line was pretty solid for while this year and can still improve. Shouldn't our efforts be focussed towards fixing the midfield still?

By the way i wouldn't mind Varcoe if he wasn't so injury-prone

Last edited:
pjfairbairn said:
Anybody keen on Tim Membrey?
I would take Membrey. haven't seen much of him but sounds like he has a bit of skill. Can't blame him for not being able to get into the swans side this year, would be hard to get into their best 22.

Sounds like a good fit, is fit and ready to go after spending some time at sydney and could easily fit straight into out forward line. with Clark leaving, and Dawesy ageing, can't expect Hogan to do it all, and if Hogan got injured next year can't really see us making any strides without another forward target.
So yeah, i'm all for Membrey

The Dr said:
He's already left us so the Swans can get him as a delisted free agent. Not that they'd be remotely interested.
I thought MFC and Blease had decided on a trade. As far as i know he hasn't been delisted yet, but will certainly be if nobody takes interest in him during trade period

I thought MFC and Blease had decided on a trade. As far as i know he hasn't been delisted yet, but will certainly be if nobody takes interest in him during trade period

Not sure if he's officially delisted yet but he will be, meaning any interested club will wait to grab him as a DFA. Or, offer a nothing pick like no.88.

But on Membrey - I'd be keen on him at the right price. I think the club has to ensure it's looking after our no.1 issue - midfielders. But if we can get him on the cheap, then he could be a great fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merrett is a spud.

I'd say Varcoe and Lumumba improve our list, but I think Merrett detracts from it because of his age. If he was 2-3 years younger he might've been useful, but 30 years old for an average key position player is starting to push it in terms of trading in.

I think people need to relax, as far as I can remember there wasn't a s**t load of hype before the Tyson deal and the same with Bernie Vince

We are spruiking about all these defenders to show we are willing to put every pick on the table

Wouldn't be surprised if the real stuff is being done behind closed doors

This??

melb part with 2.3 to bris
bris to give melb 4, rich
coll to Receive 2,3 bris get beams + 8

Edit :)

Last edited:
This??

melb part with 2.3 to bris
bris to give melb 4, aish rich
coll to Receive 2,3 bris get beams + 8

Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Can someone seriously tell me why the hell we aren't into Levi Greenwood? Ive only heard Richmond so far, surely we have a far greater need for him and much more cash to offer?

Reminds me of Stephen Powell, whats not to love. Would be great to add to our mids, severely underrated. Yes his disposal can let him down from time to time but he would help Jones out with the hard stuff no end.

Shuts his mouth, puts his head over the ball. The type of player i would love.

Can someone seriously tell me why the hell we aren't into Levi Greenwood? Ive only heard Richmond so far, surely we have a far greater need for him and much more cash to offer?

Reminds me of Stephen Powell, whats not to love. Would be great to add to our mids, severely underrated. Yes his disposal can let him down from time to time but he would help Jones out with the hard stuff no end.

Yep. Apparently tigers linked to hannebury too. We need to be into these two up to our necks

Strange because we were up to our eyeballs in Greenwood last year when he would have come cheaper, Guess it might have gone something like this

LG-Hello
Josh Mahoney- Gday Mate Josh here, heard you might be looking for some extra cash
LG- Yeah sure am, short career and all.. Josh who by the way?
JM- Josh Mahoney from the Melbourne Football Club

'Beep'Beep'Beep'Beep'Beep'Beep'Beep'

JM- Hello?, Hello?

Goddamit, allright get that melbourne supporting Monk on the phone to call Ferritier Bumpballer

Greenwood will stay at North, I'd imagine. They should still be a finals side next year and he's only just established himself in the team - would be daft to leave and have to earn his spot all over again. Not sure if he's suddenly become an AFL player overnight or he's having the big out of contract season and will go back to being a bit meh next year.

And this Varcoe talk, he's severely on the decline. Not even close to the player he was a few years back (pace and disposal his two greatest attributes).

Think it was the game against Carlton at the end of the year, a real eye opener, looked slow and unsure of himself by foot. No thanks, even as steak knives in a Clark deal.

Greenwood will stay at North, I'd imagine. They should still be a finals side next year and he's only just established himself in the team - would be daft to leave and have to earn his spot all over again. Not sure if he's suddenly become an AFL player overnight or he's having the big out of contract season and will go back to being a bit meh next year.

He won't be earning his spot here, mate, slot straight into our side, no doubt. I agree in regards to last year, exploded from nothing really, but he has always had work ethic and been hard at it. Players like this deserved to be rewarded for getting every last bit of talent out of themselves (cash wise and a boom improvement), the anti Jack Watts if you will.

He won't be earning his spot here, mate, slot straight into our side, no doubt. I agree in regards to last year, exploded from nothing really, but he has always had work ethic and been hard at it. Players like this deserved to be rewarded for getting every last bit of talent out of themselves (cash wise and a boom improvement), the anti Jack Watts if you will.

True, he wouldn't have to with us, but he'd be mad to come here. At Richmond he might have to, and I think they're the only ones linked with him (so far)? He might be interested in coming here if we chucked big dollars at him, but I hope we don't. We're only going to be disappointed by blokes who come here for the cash and we're overpaying for players to get them here.

All these talk of players we're linked to; Gwilt, Merrett, Frost, Lumumba (I'm all for getting Frost and HL), doesn't mean we're getting them all, it just means we're keeping our options available. On the otherhand, we're not going to publicly say every single player we're into, we aren't going to come out and say "Yeah we're into Hannebery, Tex, Dangerfield, and a few other stars" we're just simply staying low profile. We're one of, if not the team who can go the most aggressive in this years trade period, we have picks #2 and (hopefully) #3 to toy around with and heaps of salary cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back