Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd take Petrenko tbh. But maybe that's just me :(

Everyone on the Adelaide board said he is tough but a poor user/decision maker and would be best on the HBF or defensive forward

Tapscott is that but a better kick of the footy and overhead mark IMO

Definite no to Petrenko from me. Is on par with Bail/Terlich/M Jones etc., we don't need another 'trier'. Probably no to Hunt on that basis too. He has a bit more to offer than Petrenko and can play in the midfield but doesn't seem to have much scope for improvement.

Also on delisting/redrafting Tappy, it wouldn't be that bad of an idea as we have to have a certain number of changes and draft picks each year so if we just delist him then redraft him again it'll help in that regard.

Definite no to Petrenko from me. Is on par with Bail/Terlich/M Jones etc., we don't need another 'trier'. Probably no to Hunt on that basis too. He has a bit more to offer than Petrenko and can play in the midfield but doesn't seem to have much scope for improvement.

Also on delisting/redrafting Tappy, it wouldn't be that bad of an idea as we have to have a certain number of changes and draft picks each year so if we just delist him then redraft him again it'll help in that regard.

You only need 3 list changes and Clark , frawley and Byrnes out with pick 2,3 and Jetta upgrade is it

Everything after that is optional

Out of all the delisted players, I'd look at George Burbury from Geelong. Super courageous mid-sized forward who hasn't had any luck with injuries. Has significant upside if he can get his body right

The problem is that if anyone good walks to the PSD the Saints will take them before us.
Makes it quite difficult to plan doesn't it. You'd probably prefer to keep Tapscott over PSD2 if you can't actually earmark a player and get them. Unless we were certain the Saints had committed to a particular player. I guess we can hang onto Tapscott until LL3.

Dunn can go forward here and there, but like Harry Taylor he is wasted as a permanent forward. He also is the smartest defender we have and is the leader down there. Garland would be my pick as an unconventional forward.

We can 'front load' contracts - pretty much meaning we can pay a player some of their next however many years contracts to meet the cap requirements.

We've been 'front loading' contracts for years (Frawley!). By now we'd be 'front', 'middle' and 'back' loading contracts and then topping up with more money afterwards. The club is pretty much a charity for duds at the moment.

We've been 'front loading' contracts for years (Frawley!). By now we'd be 'front', 'middle' and 'back' loading contracts and then topping up with more money afterwards. The club is pretty much a charity for duds at the moment.

You should be able to apply to the afl to pay under the salary cap if you can prove that your still paying market value for the players on your list

I.e I bet players like garland, Howe, jamar, Dunn and basically all of our senior players are getting extra to help fill the cap when they don't deserve it

Hell I bet bail and mckenzie and anyway else we re signed is sitting pretty comfortably

You should be able to apply to the afl to pay under the salary cap if you can prove that your still paying market value for the players on your list

I.e I bet players like garland, Howe, jamar, Dunn and basically all of our senior players are getting extra to help fill the cap when they don't deserve it

Hell I bet bail and mckenzie and anyway else we re signed is sitting pretty comfortably

There shouldn't be a minimum salary cap spend, period. Maximum, yes, stop clubs going into liquidation by over-reaching and paying more than they can afford. No issue with minimum salaries for rookies and listed players, but if you've got 20 decent footballers and 20 odd crap players on your list, you should be able to pay them what they're worth, as you say. If someone wants to come along and offer Craps McGee his crap salary +20%, they're welcome to have him. No one is going to touch a mediocre player on a more than mediocre salary though.

There shouldn't be a minimum salary cap spend, period. Maximum, yes, stop clubs going into liquidation by over-reaching and paying more than they can afford. No issue with minimum salaries for rookies and listed players, but if you've got 20 decent footballers and 20 odd crap players on your list, you should be able to pay them what they're worth, as you say. If someone wants to come along and offer Craps McGee his crap salary +20%, they're welcome to have him. No one is going to touch a mediocre player on a more than mediocre salary though.
AFLPA will never allow the removal of the spending floor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren't they considering a rule whereby a club who under-spends in a year, is then allowed to pay extra in the next few years or something?

I think its a form of equalisation - so clubs like Melbourne can pay a little less when they're going poorly, but then turn it around to get them up again.

I think its also to help small clubs stave off some of the free agency situations, when players like Frawley want to chase success for a small pay cut.

Aren't they considering a rule whereby a club who under-spends in a year, is then allowed to pay extra in the next few years or something?

I think its a form of equalisation - so clubs like Melbourne can pay a little less when they're going poorly, but then turn it around to get them up again.

I think its also to help small clubs stave off some of the free agency situations, when players like Frawley want to chase success for a small pay cut.

Yes, if you only pay 95% one year, you can pay 105% the next year. Another tool for crap clubs in free agency periods. Means we can offer Dangerfield 2.5 million for the first year instead of 2 mil for his 7 year 10 million dollar deal, which might sway him towards us. All we have to do is flash cash like Snoop Dogg and show a little ankle. Dignity...

There should be a 'one player outside the cap' rule as well IMO. That way we could offer someone like Sloane/Tex/Hanneberry/Hanley significantly more than they would be making at Brisbane due to competing against another marquee player. It's harder to turn down a $1M pay rise than a $200k one.

There should be a 'one player outside the cap' rule as well IMO. That way we could offer someone like Sloane/Tex/Hanneberry/Hanley significantly more than they would be making at Brisbane due to competing against another marquee player. It's harder to turn down a $1M pay rise than a $200k one.

That would only make sense if their was a risk of losing the player to another competition

They have already applied to the afl to have membrey train with them early by unofficially commiting to him

I'd say we technically have the first live pick

I don't want him but I wonder whether we will take Clint jones
He destroyed us in round 1 this year and he would be an extra senior body to replace trengove

Just leave it at the bold bit. Extremely limited footballer on the wrong side of 30 delisted by the worst team in the comp. If we sign him I might as well nominate for the draft because it looks like anyone can get a game at the Dees

?

It would mean more spread of star players around the comp. Wouldn't really offset players who want to leave.

Would it though? It means hawks would still probably have budwah and Geelong ablett
Us frawley etc

Would mean the star players would always stay at the same club

This is a key string Dunny has to his bow. Definitely does his most important work in defense and has improved vastly there but needs the odd trot forward just to keep his opponent honest and if he snares a goal it gets in the mind of his opponent.

No forward likes their direct opponent going forward and getting a goal of their own and Dunn now has the knack of getting under the skin of opposition players.
I do remember that game against Geelong where chappy? was ragdolling him on the ground

186 game

Lynden Dunn decided to punch chappy in the bread basket in the 2nd quarter
Was the only fight we showed for the game
Yeah I also remember the build up to the game on Sen1116. There was talk of resigning Dean Bailey and I remember David Schwartz saying Melbourne can't afford to let Geelong get out to a big start lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back