List Mgmt. 2014 Free Agency, draft and trades news and discussion **Not the trade hypotheticals thread"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
If deciding between the two... I would rather keep Hallahan who has served a good apprenticeship at Box Hill and the potential Pick 18 rather than go after O'Rourke.

However, I'm sure there's a Mexican girl who would question why we can't have both.
We're at the point where we have a few younger blokes who are in the same boat, We both have Woodward/Hallahan on our list, both won JJ.Liston medals, I reckon Woodwards kicking is less wayward. We might as well ship one off while value is high and knowing both wont play together at hawthorn for another 2 years

rjslcM

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2008
Glen Waverly
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Australia, Roger Federer.
We're at the point where we have a few younger blokes who are in the same boat, We both have Woodward/Hallahan on our list, both won JJ.Liston medals, I reckon Woodwards kicking is less wayward. We might as well ship one off while value is high and knowing both wont play together at hawthorn for another 2 years

You seem to be adamant that O'Rourke would come in and play in the Hawthorn midfield right away. Before either of those two would. What is this based on?

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
You seem to be adamant that O'Rourke would come in and play in the Hawthorn midfield right away. Before either of those two would. What is this based on?
O'Rourke wont play Midfield, He'll be a HBF, he's a good defender as well

Watsclarkosmob

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just to steer away from the Frawley and O'Rourke talk that has taken up about a dozen pages. If Lowden is moved on, that would leave us with BB, Hale and Ceglar. Some say Grimley isn't up to AFL standard and seems to play much more time in the forward line than the center square at Box Hill. Seeing we have had issues in the past with rucks falling down we surely would be looking for a bit of ruck depth in the rookie draft. Any of the names that have been delisted might find their way onto our list in the rookie draft? McKernan? Renouf? Monkey seems to be able to work his magic in this area for us.

I really don't want to lose Lowden and even the thought has popped into my head of trading Ceglar as he would have higher currency.

Thoughts on our ruck division?

dipper86

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2004
Dimmeys
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea SSC Napoli

Between Woody and Hallahan.......Hallahan has the better kick, though Mitchell is Speedy Gonzales when compared to him in pace.

Even if we wanted to trade them they would be luck to net us a pick under 35.

dipper86

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2004
Dimmeys
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea SSC Napoli
Hawthorn's Pick 18 + Schoenmakers FOR GWS's Jaksch + O'Rourke.

GWS trade Pick #3 + Schoenmakers to Saint Kilda for #Pick 1.

Saints get a key forward/defender and pick 3.
Giants get their man in Petracca.
Hawks get Jaksch + O'Rourke and tell Frawley to find 700K elsewhere.

Winners all round.

Big Moose is that you ?....new name I like it !

madhawksfan

Premiership Player
May 12, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just to steer away from the Frawley and O'Rourke talk that has taken up about a dozen pages. If Lowden is moved on, that would leave us with BB, Hale and Ceglar. Some say Grimley isn't up to AFL standard and seems to play much more time in the forward line than the center square at Box Hill. Seeing we have had issues in the past with rucks falling down we surely would be looking for a bit of ruck depth in the rookie draft. Any of the names that have been delisted might find their way onto our list in the rookie draft? McKernan? Renouf? Monkey seems to be able to work his magic in this area for us.

I really don't want to lose Lowden and even the thought has popped into my head of trading Ceglar as he would have higher currency.

If we trade Lowden then agree we would need to draft another ruck through the National, Rookie or PSD. No to Renouf as he cannot kick to save himself but I'm sure there is a decent 4th ruck out there somewhere whom we could take.

Grimley stays if Lowden goes as he could play the second ruck / forward role (but would obviously need to improve his ruck work). If all else fails we will probably just play Hodge in the ruck.

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
Don't reckon we'll keep him on the list just in case?
A bit arrogant to be running with only X players on the list isn't it mate?
A 'X was too easy, let's try X-1' attitude eh? I like it. ;)'

a) numbers changed to X's - couldn't be bothered counting players
b) i guess that's what we did this year anyway, win it with one less player for all intents and purposes

Hallahan has just been in for surgery on his foot/ankle according to a photo on his instagram. Likely just getting a clean out of some sort but if it's something more than it could have a negative effect on his trade value if that is the route he or the club takes in the coming weeks. Hope he stays. Looks a class above at VFL and not all of our next gen midfield have to be super quick. The current/older gen certainly aren't.

A bit arrogant to be running with only X players on the list isn't it mate?
A 'X was too easy, let's try X-1' attitude eh? I like it. ;)'

a) numbers changed to X's - couldn't be bothered counting players
b) i guess that's what we did this year anyway, win it with one less player for all intents and purposes

Do you think we could package up Garlett, Grimley and a third round pick for Dayne Beams, then on trade him to Brisbane for pick 4?

Reckon it could work. The Pies traded for Lynch after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm

We need to keep all 4....Grimley has had his last chance & can't ruck anyhow. His last month at Box Hill might see another club take a punt on him!....Hale will finish up at the end of 2015, so we'll need to use/keep all 4....The benefit of rotating our rucks this year was amply demonstrated in keeping them all hungry & fresh for Finals....Young Harry Dear would be a good last pick/Rookie pick-up as a future developing tall forward/ruckman!

Garlett, Kelly & Grimley seem the clear deletions, with Sewell likely to retire & the 2 rookies in Ross & Wanganeen likely deleted.

As for trading, Schoey & Hallahan would probably net us 2 late second rounders, which in this draft, could be very good indeed!

dipper86

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2004
Dimmeys
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea SSC Napoli
Hallahan has just been in for surgery on his foot/ankle according to a photo on his instagram. Likely just getting a clean out of some sort but if it's something more than it could have a negative effect on his trade value if that is the route he or the club takes in the coming weeks. Hope he stays. Looks a class above at VFL and not all of our next gen midfield have to be super quick. The current/older gen certainly aren't.

If you're not quick you have to be exceptional in your aerobic capacity, or at the very least cover the ground efficiently, he does neither.

May 29, 2010
The Tree Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
SF 49ers, Arsenal
I saw parts of the VFL grand final on replay recently. Thought 3 players stood out. Hallahan, Woodward and Sicily. Hallahan confuses me a bit because he seems to have most of the attributes and has the body size which is the current trend with mids. I wonder if will persist with him for another year. Woodward just needs some extra weight and strength and reckon he'll be right to go next year. Sicily is looking like a real wild card and could be the surprise packet from last year's draft. Brand and Heatherly also looked OK in bits and hoping at least one will start to come on a bit next year.

If you're not quick you have to be exceptional in your aerobic capacity, or at the very least cover the ground efficiently, he does neither.
Consistently wracks up huge numbers at Box Hill. You don't get 30+ that often unless you can get around.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
I saw parts of the VFL grand final on replay recently. Thought 3 players stood out. Hallahan, Woodward and Sicily. Hallahan confuses me a bit because he seems to have most of the attributes and has the body size which is the current trend with mids. I wonder if will persist with him for another year. Woodward just needs some extra weight and strength and reckon he'll be right to go next year. Sicily is looking like a real wild card and could be the surprise packet from last year's draft. Brand and Heatherly also looked OK in bits and hoping at least one will start to come on a bit next year.

All of Sicily, Brand & Heatherley will require 2 more pre-seasons to get their bodies & aerobic capacities up to AFL standard!....I wouldn't expect anything from them until 2016 at the earliest....Willsmore & Webster are also looking likely types for mine!...Willsmore's ball use & kicking skills are exceptional.

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All of Sicily, Brand & Heatherley will require 2 more pre-seasons to get their bodies & aerobic capacities up to AFL standard!....I wouldn't expect anything from them until 2016 at the earliest....Willsmore & Webster are also looking likely types for mine!...Willsmore's ball use & kicking skills are exceptional.
I have said this a million times but i still can't believe Willsmore didn't go in the top 30 in last years' draft.

TyHawk

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2013
Jupiter
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City
O'Rourke won't get a game at HBF or in the middle for a couple of years unless, Duryea, Birch, Stratts etc..have bad injuries or form. Hallahan has all the attributes to be a very good HFF/ Onballer and we already know how he plays! Minus the Sub game, Halla averages around 21 posies a game, not bad for a bloke who has only played 6 games. He confuses people because he seems to get in and out of the game in spurts and that's because he doesn't have a huge tank ATM. We can't just lose a 'prospect' for some third round pick we know nothing about. Unless there is a package type deal involved getting someone like Dylan Shiels then I say Halla needs to stay. Just opinion.

dipper86

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2004
Dimmeys
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea SSC Napoli
Consistently wracks up huge numbers at Box Hill. You don't get 30+ that often unless you can get around.

I think theres a little more to covering the ground than gaining 30 possies in a VFL match ........How's his defensive running? He isn't even a blimp on the radar when compared to Lewis Sewell Woody, even Mitchell's running capacity etc.

Last edited:

Move P

Senior List
Jun 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Like Hallahans game but he's just too slow to make it in the AFL. would love to be proven wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back