List Mgmt. 2014 Free Agency, draft and trades news and discussion **Not the trade hypotheticals thread"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not fussed on Frawley.It's not hard to look good in a team full of muppets.
How's Scully going now? How's Moloney going? How's Petterd going?
DO NOT touch players from the bottom clubs! Anyone want a spud from St Kilda or Brisbane...Obviously not.
As I've said before throw the kitchen sink at Rory Thompson for 2016.

Frost would be ok backup, but surely wouldn't leave a club where he will get regular senior games, to become backup somewhere else
Keefe is rated high only because of the jumper he wears, but in reality is a plodder, and I'd rather Cheney to him

I remember wanting Hawthorn to get Keeffe early on in his career when he had potential and we could have gotten him cheaply. But recently he's stagnated and arguably gone backwards. He wouldn't be worth what Collingwood would be asking trade wise nor would he be worth what it would cost financially to get him nowadays. Knowing our club, they probably have some KPD prospects none of us have considered.

Whilst many people habe touched on this point- Frawley is a free hit, yes he is overpriced but we get him without losing any picks. All the other mentioned names require us to lose a pick/player.

This is why so many clubs are interested in him. He is above average for KPD and is young enough. Even if he fails and turns out to be a spud we havent lost anything.

E: Lake plays on.... Surely!

I'm not so sure, I think he's good enough to play.....old man injuries though, 2 calfs and a small knee op.
Can we afford for him to be out again consistently next year. Lake being out has meant Shoey couldn't be developed forward of the centre.

I'd retire him after this year...he'd be on anywhere between 400 - 500k. Grab Frawley between 600 and 700k..set and forget, no need to worry about what to do with Lake and a replacement at the end of 2015. Gibbo will be 31 by the end of next year. Then concentrate on rebuilding a magnificent midfield using our draft picks.

Last edited:
Frost would be ok backup, but surely wouldn't leave a club where he will get regular senior games, to become backup somewhere else
Keefe is rated high only because of the jumper he wears, but in reality is a plodder, and I'd rather Cheney to him
I wouldn't be opposed to Jack Frost I could be wrong but I believe he is currently a rookie listed player at the Pies. Get in his ear and offer him a spot on our Primary List if Collingwood don't. He is genuinely tall, competes well in the air and seems quick enough.
Keefe is no plodder and is definitely better than Cheney, to me he suffers from the occasional brain fade disciplinary wise but could be ok.
I would love to see Kaiden Brand to get on the meat 'Pies' and be that monster key back we are after.

I wouldn't be opposed to Jack Frost I could be wrong but I believe he is currently a rookie listed player at the Pies. Get in his ear and offer him a spot on our Primary List if Collingwood don't. He is genuinely tall, competes well in the air and seems quick enough.
Keefe is no plodder and is definitely better than Cheney, to me he suffers from the occasional brain fade disciplinary wise but could be ok.
I would love to see Kaiden Brand to get on the meat 'Pies' and be that monster key back we are after.

Yep Frost is on the rookie list.
Brand is atleast 2 years worth of weights away from being anywhere near ready to handle the big power forwards.

DO NOT touch players from the bottom clubs! Anyone want a spud from St Kilda or Brisbane...Obviously not.

So Shiel and Whitfield and co. just rot away at GWS?

I have mentioned Jack Frosts name recently and an approach to him wouldn't surprise...albeit I would be happily surprised if we managed to get him.
He is one player I would offer overs for because he wouldn't be on a high salary to start with but has significant upside as a KPD.

I'm not so sure, I think he's good enough to play.....old man injuries though, 2 calfs and a small knee op.
Can we afford for him to be out again consistently next year. Lake being out has meant Shoey couldn't be developed forward of the centre.

I'd retire him after this year...he'd be on anywhere between 400 - 500k. Grab Frawley between 600 and 700k..set and forget, no need to worry about what to do with Lake and a replacement at the end of 2015. Gibbo will be 31 by the end of next year. Then concentrate on rebuilding a magnificent midfield using our draft picks.

Financially it is a non-issue, and Lake won't be on anywhere near 500k, it's just a spot on the list. Who are you keeping instead that is better for our premiership aspirations?

Financially it is a non-issue, and Lake won't be on anywhere near 500k, it's just a spot on the list. Who are you keeping instead that is better for our premiership aspirations?
if lake stands up big time at the business end this year the decision will be easy. hard to say which way it will go as he has the runs on the board from last year but there are some telling signs regarding his lower output this year, time will tell.
fwiw i'd be happy to enter next year without lake and retain all the talls on our current list.

if lake stands up big time at the business end this year the decision will be easy. hard to say which way it will go as he has the runs on the board from last year but there are some telling signs regarding his lower output this year, time will tell.
fwiw i'd be happy to enter next year without lake and retain all the talls on our current list.

I'm just asking the question, you are a long time retired, and s**t happens, hence us playing Cheney on Hawkins and Tippett this season already. It would have been a luxury to have had Brian in reserve in those circumstances.

FWIW if the final list spot was down to Lake vs Grimely, think I'd be going with Lake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we can afford to let him go.

Lake WANTS to play on, and he hasn't played enough games to activate his automatic contract extension, so we can renegotiate and get him on a minimum chips wage. That being the case, why not have an AA FB, Norm Smith winning player on our list? Break in case of emergency, can still play quality games, and would be more than handy in clutch games, see 2013 GF.

Also, it would be nice to have our young kids learning off him, like marking, decision making (except choking), reading of the play. I'm talking about Schoe, Gus, Brand, Heatherley, etc

Agreed. He will be offered quite a small contract, purely because he is no guarantee to play many games.

I think we essentially plan for no Lake, but if he gets up and contributes its a bonus.

If Lake doesn't play on in 2015.....would you!

A : go after a free agent a first stringer KP defender such as Frawley...and pay a little overs in terms of salary and tenure then use our first round pick and or packaged with a player and go after a Shiel type midfielder through trade

B: Trade away our first pick and or a player to gain a first string KP defender.

C: Go after a free agent KP defender and use our first round pick on a midfielder through the draft

D: None of the above. you have something else in mind.

I try not to get into hypothesizing trade scenarios as it's fruitless.

I have mentioned Jack Frosts name recently and an approach to him wouldn't surprise...albeit I would be happily surprised if we managed to get him.
He is one player I would offer overs for because he wouldn't be on a high salary to start with but has significant upside as a KPD.
Jack Frost is just a player.

I'd be willing to say he has shown more than any of our KPD prospects, including Schoey.
He's had to.

Besides he plays for Collingwood. People who think Collingwood are ever got to trade with Hawthorn have rocks in their head.

Um, Ben McEvoy????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back