List Mgmt. 2014 Free Agency, draft and trades news and discussion **Not the trade hypotheticals thread"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jordan corrected himself and said that Wingard was his favourite player, not the best in the league. Yet the HUN still published that Jordan said he was the best player in the league.

Derp.

Jordan corrected himself and said that Wingard was his favourite player, not the best in the league. Yet the HUN still published that Jordan said he was the best player in the league.

Derp.

Should see the back page of the shitvertiser :)

They like making news in SA, nothing happens here...

theres a fair bit of talent at GCS and GWS, so much so that theres bound to be 1 or 2 be offered for nicks, i mean Richmond got A.Miles for a basement bargain price last year, we got Jed with a strange trade that favoured us, i'm sure theres another talented kid that they got first choice at that they are ready to throw on the dust heap that might be a good talent in a semi-ordinary football environment that they run up there......

Thoughts on Jack Steven?

Our first and Suckling or Gus maybe?

Get it done? Worth getting? Too many questions?

I'm a big fan of Steven but I would imagine that St Kilda are as well. Fits their age profile given their rebuilding project and will be their next midfield leader (arguably already is with Lenny retiring). The price the Pelican would demand would be astronomical.

Financially it is a non-issue, and Lake won't be on anywhere near 500k, it's just a spot on the list. Who are you keeping instead that is better for our premiership aspirations?

Once his contract expires he won't be, but if memory serves me correct, didn't Lake sign a 800k 4 year deal with the bulldogs, once traded to hawthorn he took a massive pay cut, most likely half the amount. By retiring lake it then frees up 4 to 500k at the end of the year, whether he retires or not.
My concern is that if Lake plays on next year we will once again be in a position at the end of 2015 where we will have to trade for a KPD. This year gives us the opportunity to land one with a free hit, and concentrate on recruitment in other areas, rather than putting our faith in a 32 year old mans body that has played stuff all and has had recurring old man calf injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We chased Lake for many years, and we eventually got him for pick 24.....now we're in a rush to retire him?? That makes no sense.

Yes he has had a few injuries, but that's not unique to Brian. Hodgey was shot to pieces in 2011/12 and now look at him. Give him one more year, I would feel good having him in the side for the 2015 GF

Once his contract expires he won't be, but if memory serves me correct, didn't Lake sign a 800k 4 year deal with the bulldogs, once traded to hawthorn he took a massive pay cut, most likely half the amount. By retiring lake it then frees up 4 to 500k at the end of the year, whether he retires or not.
My concern is that if Lake plays on next year we will once again be in a position at the end of 2015 where we will have to trade for a KPD. This year gives us the opportunity to land one with a free hit, and concentrate on recruitment in other areas, rather than putting our faith in a 32 year old mans body that has played stuff all and has had recurring old man calf injuries.

I don't think it's one or the other, which is where I am coming from.

<insert little Mexican girl picture>

hqdefault.jpg

I for one hope we steer clear of buying any free agents this year.

Much prefer to stand back with our money safely in our pockets watching the feeding frenzy whilst every other club is maxxing out their TPP by paying overs for over hyped mercenaries. It's a sellers (players) market now. Let it stabilise then we can go shopping in a buyers market.

We chased Lake for many years, and we eventually got him for pick 24.....now we're in a rush to retire him?? That makes no sense.

Yes he has had a few injuries, but that's not unique to Brian. Hodgey was shot to pieces in 2011/12 and now look at him. Give him one more year, I would feel good having him in the side for the 2015 GF

Hodge was 27-28. Not 32-33....Hardly comparable.

I for one hope we steer clear of buying any free agents this year.

Much prefer to stand back with our money safely in our pockets watching the feeding frenzy whilst every other club is maxxing out their TPP by paying overs for over hyped mercenaries. It's a sellers (players) market now. Let it stabilise then we can go shopping in a buyers market.

You buy when you have the means and you see something you need.
Every year is a rainy day, every year is worth putting yourself in position to win it all.
Re-builds, waiting for next year or 5 years, that's other clubs, not mine.
I want to see us continually restock, continually contest for honors, you know, just stay on the simmer as opposed to going cold and having to re-boil the list.
The problem with waiting for players down the road is that there is no guarantee they will sign for us over other clubs. Clubs still only very occasionally lose the players they want to keep, so holding out for someone more than a year away is pipedreams and promises for supporters of teams that continually fail.
Give me the bird in the hand.

Thoughts on Jack Steven?

Our first and Suckling or Gus maybe?

Get it done? Worth getting? Too many questions?
I'd have thought last year was the time to try to get him when were throwing the 1st Round Picks + Players, I wouldn't be starting the process again now, even though I like the lines he runs with & without the ball.

Also, I think he'd be seen as a constant as they go through their rebuild - I doubt they'd be looking to move him on.

Well that's a little boring, if its good enough for you to hypothesize on players with a yay or nay, then its good enough for and opinion on a recruitment strategy.
Nope. It's pointless.

It really depends on how much we have in terms of room on our list.

3 compulsory picks in the draft.

Delsited - Garlett Wangers Kelly?
Retirements: Sewell- maybe.

KPD currently on the list : Lake Gibson Shoey Spangher Cheeney (Brand Heatherley) Project raw.
If you add in Frawley- that's too many on the list. Someone would need to be axed.

Shoey and Spanger ability to play forward. It leaves 6 including Frawley.

I'm not so sure, I think he's good enough to play.....old man injuries though, 2 calfs and a small knee op.
Can we afford for him to be out again consistently next year. Lake being out has meant Shoey couldn't be developed forward of the centre.

I'd retire him after this year...he'd be on anywhere between 400 - 500k. Grab Frawley between 600 and 700k..set and forget, no need to worry about what to do with Lake and a replacement at the end of 2015. Gibbo will be 31 by the end of next year. Then concentrate on rebuilding a magnificent midfield using our draft picks.

Says he was on $450k/year for 4 years...2010-2013, but I think it might have been 5 years or a 5th year activation. From all reports the doggies are paying a big chunk of his salary still. I'm not sure he took a big pay cut as the media reported.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lake-signs-with-bulldogs-20091124-j7vn.html
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dep...491788621?nk=de12a81c6f1bd68e9d4acef0fa273866

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back