List Mgmt. 2014 Free Agency, draft and trades news and discussion **Not the trade hypotheticals thread"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but didn't you suggest we trade Birchall for a Shiel type midfielder earlier in this thread......You're trying to make me look like a d*ck even though you ARE hypothesizing trades, You're picking and choosing.

Also, I wasn't asking you to go into finer detail regarding trade scenarios......it was more draft/trade strategy involving Lake regarding our list. I'm not sure where I asked you for a scenario using our pick 22 trade it for pick 44, 98, 10,054 and Didier Drogba.

It was pretty simple:

A) Do we go the free agency route for a KPD replacement and use our first round pick and/or a player on a GWS midfilder target. eg: Shiel.

B) Do we trade for a KP defender ?

C) Do we go the free agency route for a KPD replacement, Keep our first pick and rebuild our midfield through the draft.

D) Go straight to the draft, draft best available and worry about KPD next year.

D) None of the above.

Surely you have an opinion on our list strategy, whether its official or not doesn't make any difference what so ever. This is a Trades Draft Free Agency thread......its a discussion based on absoulte sh*t and holds absolutely no bearing on what the club will do. If that's your reasoning close the thread its pointless.. ...
No, I suggested the club would need to make a brave call, like trading a Birchall in order to get top end talent.

I'm not trying to make you look like a dick at all.
You keep telling me I should come up with some list management/trade scenario, and I'm continually telling you I find it mind-numbing.

Others are free to muse all they want in this thread, I'll just skip over what doesn't interest me, so I see no need to close it.

I don't think people actually expect anything to come of their own trade hypothetical or even expect that it will some how influence a decision made by the club.

I think they're quite interesting thought exercises as you get to see how people rate/value certain players and even draft picks outside of the more abstract means that we rate players in discussions (eg. "elite/gun", "A/B/C grader", "depth", "potential", etc).

Given many players who are tossed up in trade hypotheticals tend to be the players who do end up getting traded (writing was on the wall, rumours, etc) it is interesting to see how close the hypothetical trades are to what eventuates.
It is interesting to some people. It's not interesting me.

That's fine, I have no issue with it.

I think we can all move on now.

It really depends on how much we have in terms of room on our list.

3 compulsory picks in the draft.

Delsited - Garlett Wangers Kelly?
Retirements: Sewell- maybe.

KPD currently on the list : Lake Gibson Shoey Spangher Cheeney (Brand Heatherley) Project raw.
If you add in Frawley- that's too many on the list. Someone would need to be axed.

Shoey and Spanger ability to play forward. It leaves 6 including Frawley.

True, positions on our list are incredible tight, the tightest I have ever seen. Who know perhaps Cheney will look for greener pastures (could not blame him for doing so), Spangher's future is also undecided at this point in time. I'm not sure the number itself is necessarily too many, as we've seen this season we've used them all at various stages (excluding project types).

Wanganeen as mentioned is a rookie so doesn't count. Tough decisions but as I mentioned before you are a long time retired and we're right amongst it at the moment, and it's been our greatest weakness through this era. I think Grimely is in trouble and Garlett is already gone.

Penny for your thoughts Echols? :D

I think Grimely is in trouble and Garlett is already gone.

Penny for your thoughts Echols? :D
Grimley, Garlett and Kelly were the ones I threw up a couple of months ago.

Perhaps Kelly has saved his ass in the last couple of months and is ticking boxes on his way to something more, or maybe he's just a good solid VFL player.

Grimley, Garlett and Kelly were the ones I threw up a couple of months ago.

Perhaps Kelly has saved his ass in the last couple of months and is ticking boxes on his way to something more, or maybe he's just a good solid VFL player.

Could Kelly perhaps get redrafted as a rookie. Though I suspect there won't be to many spots available on our rookie list at the end of the season.....so would rather we addeded another mid that just misses out in the draft proper, or go for a backup ruckman if we reduce offload Hale and Grimley

Could Kelly perhaps get redrafted as a rookie. Though I suspect there won't be to many spots available on our rookie list at the end of the season.....so would rather we addeded another mid that just misses out in the draft proper, or go for a backup ruckman if we reduce offload Hale and Grimley
He could do. I don't know whether rookies get 2 years automatically, but Wang would have to be dangling by a thread on this years output.

I agree withe Echols.....Gartlett gone, and Grimley and Kelly in danger. I would like to think we are prepared to move on the likes of Hale of we can upgrade a pick or use to sweeten a trade somehow, but to be honest, Hale doesn't have a great deal of trade value.

We always get a few surprises come delistings......it won't be the minimum 3 picks.....it never is

He could do. I don't know whether rookies get 2 years automatically, but Wang would have to be dangling by a thread on this years output.

I may be wrong on this, but i think that drafting a player as a rookie means you only have to offer them a one year contract, instead of two years like normal draftees.

I can see a clean out like 2010.
Muston, Taylor, Skipper, Moss, Tuck, Dowler, Hooper, Peterson, Stokes, JKT, Johnson and then there was Croad who retired early that year.
They were mostly fringe players who had potential but the club's view was that they weren't going to help the club win a flag.
Expect another big clean out that will shock a few.

Muston, Taylor, Skipper, Moss, Tuck, Dowler, Hooper, Peterson, Stokes, JKT, Johnson and then there was Croad who retired early that year.
They were mostly fringe players who had potential but the club's view was that they weren't going to help the club win a flag.
I can't. We have good depth and it's gotten us to where we are at this point.

I can't see Clarko deciding that he doesn't need depth going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he's gone for sure, though it'd be a nice farewell to see him rip it up over the last 5 weeks of this season, just as he did over 6 weeks mid season....This injury/rest could be a Godsend in enabling him to do just that!

That's 12 gone.
If we get rid of 12 we start cutting guys like Spangher & Cheney. We need guys like that to play 10 games per year - especially if we're relying on guys like Lake to play another year.

maybe, but that'll be the clubs call, either way is fine, he has been a great servant of the club for awhile, but is ageing and his body is failing him, it depends on if the club believe he can play a role or if they want to make room for the young talented mids we have coming to prominance......

this list of players were delisted or moved on for certain reasons

Muston - wasn't showing enough at Box Hill, even though he had some fans on here
Taylor - was a fill in Ruckman at best, we had no-one else at the time
Skipper - was a rookie idk if he got upgraded, but was emergency ruckmen as we had no-one else
Moss - didn't make it was an ordinary vfl player
Tuck - had potential and did play well for the Hawks, but got done for taking illegal drugs and therefore susp/delisted?
Dowler - didn't make it, played a few games, but wasnt good enough
Hooper - we gave him a second chance, seeing as he came from a successful Bris team, didnt work out
Peterson - did ok at vfl level, but wasnt up to AFL standard
Stokes - unlucky, he played well, but was probably unlucky to get delisted
Johnson - spud

Croad retired the year after our flag win didnt he? 2009, seeing as he busted his foot in the GF and tried to go on in 2009 before calling quits, not certain

in all honesty all of these players wouldn't be in our top 36 at our club at the moment........other than Croad, whom retired and possibly Stokes

Last edited:

I did hear some murmur about GWS being on the lookout for mature big bodied mids...perhaps we could sort out Sewelly with a retirement gig like we did Willo, whilst still making out like bandits a la Gilham for Anderson????

A man can hope, can't he?

I did hear some murmur about GWS being on the lookout for mature big bodied mids...perhaps we could sort out Sewelly with a retirement gig like we did Willo, whilst still making out like bandits a la Gilham for Anderson????

Isn't he an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year ? or does he ave one year left?

Isn't he an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year ? or does he ave one year left?
I think it's one of those "third year option" contracts, like north and St Kilda had to work out over DalSanto...

It depends if Sewell's desire to play on is greater than his desire to remain a one club player. He'll likely get 2 years to play at GWS (which may even transition into a coaching role if he doesn't go the media route) where as he'll only have the one remaining here at the Hawks and I'd be beyond surprised if he got another extension given his increasingly frequent soft tissue injuries this season.

I did hear some murmur about GWS being on the lookout for mature big bodied mids...

Ok, I'll have a go.
I'd trade the two name alikes. Shiels for Shiel.
For mine Shiels is a very good run-with mid, as opposed to elite find-your-own-ball creative mid.
I think we've got an extremely good run-with in the wings in Langers, and Hartung could also play that role.
What we don't have is the elite young inside guy who can torch a team with his movement, and ball use.
I'd love an eventual midfield (post Sammy and Hodge) of Shiel, Langford and Anderson, with wingers of extreme run and pace amongst Hill, Smith, Hartung and a young draftee to add to the mix.

Happy to be contradicted. ;)

I for one hope we steer clear of buying any free agents this year.

Much prefer to stand back with our money safely in our pockets watching the feeding frenzy whilst every other club is maxxing out their TPP by paying overs for over hyped mercenaries. It's a sellers (players) market now. Let it stabilise then we can go shopping in a buyers market.

If Hardwick (and a few in the media) get their way we may not be able to chase a star next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back