List Mgmt. 2014 Free Agency, draft and trades news and discussion **Not the trade hypotheticals thread"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Birchall's time to develop into a mid has passed and he is being used to our best advantage at half back
This ^^

How many half back flankers do we need before Birch can be 'released' into the midfield. We already have Silk, Hodge, Mitch, Suckers, hell even Ellis played there and not once did we see Birch ever 'released' into the midfield.

Last edited:
I think some of the 'talk' in here needs certain disclaimers. Just because someone talks like they are in the know, does not mean they are in the know. Opinions and rumours that can be found elsewhere on BF or the media, do not equate to insider knowledge. So take it all with a pinch of salt.

Now, people were talking about McEvoy/Mumford - to add to that I'm actually still disappointed that we pulled out of the Longer deal at the 11th hour. I think he will be one of the top tap ruckmen in the comp soon, which should exceed McEvoy's current ability in that regard (which is average). Also the downgrade in extra picks shifted that trade in Saints favour I thought. Time will tell.

On the GWS boys would much rather Jaksch or Buntine over O'Rourke. Not sure he's the answer to our midfield problems but the other to are young defenders who still have plenty of upside. Jaksch could become a player like Gibson with a higher ceiling. Buntine could move into the midfield but could play a role similar to that of Brodie Smith for Adelaide.

So hopefully one of them comes here. For our delistments, why is Brand not being talked about? Hasn't made it at VFL level as a forward and not doing much as a defender (I think?) so would be first to go surely? Combined with Kelly, at least one of Lowden/Grimley being delisted or traded, Lake/Hale retiring and Gartlett already gone I think there'll be more than 3 spots to fill on the senior list come draft day. Of course some others like Sewell or Schoey may be traded too, which would open up more spots.

I know some will say I am only saying this because it is on the AFL website..... but trust me, I have been thinking this most of the year.....

What are people's thoughts on Leigh Montagna....he turns 31 in November, still playing some good footy and should have a couple of good years in him.

Will sure up some midfield experience (of we lost Sewell and say Hallahan) and gives us another clearance player.
- he would be 2nd on the list for clearances this season if he played for Hawthorn.

Wouldn't cost us anything and can't be any worse than Cam Bruce

Thoughts on Leigh Montagna straight away are...too old.

We need to think of 21-22 year old mids, not 31 year olds.

We have a few 30 year old to tide us over for the next couple of years; we need a mid who can play for the next years, and then stay for 6 more.

I think some of the 'talk' in here needs certain disclaimers. Just because someone talks like they are in the know, does not mean they are in the know. Opinions and rumours that can be found elsewhere on BF or the media, do not equate to insider knowledge. So take it all with a pinch of salt.

Now, people were talking about McEvoy/Mumford - to add to that I'm actually still disappointed that we pulled out of the Longer deal at the 11th hour. I think he will be one of the top tap ruckmen in the comp soon, which should exceed McEvoy's current ability in that regard (which is average). Also the downgrade in extra picks shifted that trade in Saints favour I thought. Time will tell.

On the GWS boys would much rather Jaksch or Buntine over O'Rourke. Not sure he's the answer to our midfield problems but the other to are young defenders who still have plenty of upside. Jaksch could become a player like Gibson with a higher ceiling. Buntine could move into the midfield but could play a role similar to that of Brodie Smith for Adelaide.

So hopefully one of them comes here. For our delistments, why is Brand not being talked about? Hasn't made it at VFL level as a forward and not doing much as a defender (I think?) so would be first to go surely? Combined with Kelly, at least one of Lowden/Grimley being delisted or traded, Lake/Hale retiring and Gartlett already gone I think there'll be more than 3 spots to fill on the senior list come draft day. Of course some others like Sewell or Schoey may be traded too, which would open up more spots.
Kaiden Brand has been developing very nicely in his full back role at Box Hill. Reads the play very well and takes a nice grab

Thoughts on Leigh Montagna straight away are...too old.

We need to think of 21-22 year old mids, not 31 year olds.

We have a few 30 year old to tide us over for the next couple of years; we need a mid who can play for the next years, and then stay for 6 more.

Agree with your sentiment re: age, but could be good little top up, especially if we lose Sewell (and Hallahan), and we can't pick up that 21 year old mid via trade.

From what I have seen and read he has become a solid key back at VFL level (2nd year) and is worth persevering with.
Unless Lowden wants to leave I would retain, Grimley seems behind Obrien and others to get a gig again, plus if we looked at the reasoning that Rough has at least 4 years as a top flight fwd, Gunston is younger than Grimley - then Grimley is looking surplus.

Sewell I think will retire or quietly pushed - he needs to be at the top of his game to command a spot in the 22 now, he is no certainty. They are trialling Kelly in the midfield - interesting move - time will tell, but if they are trying that, he probably has another year.

Hallahan is the interesting one along with Hale for different reasons. Hale - will another premiership plus the possibility of diminishing time playing in the 1s will he go on, Hallahan is there that something that will elevate him, Langford has the maniac attack with pace.

From a KP basis I don't necessarily see us going after any. With Shem/Heatherly/Brand/Shoe/Obrien all currently developing on the list, there is a number of options there. SOme will make it some wont.

Our pressing need is depth with mids, up and coming - Jed Andreson is back, Whitecross is back next year but what else - Woodward like the look of

Kaiden Brand has been developing very nicely in his full back role at Box Hill. Reads the play very well and takes a nice grab
Didn't know that, thanks. Hopefully he'll progress next year to push to the firsts.

From what I have seen and read he has become a solid key back at VFL level (2nd year) and is worth persevering with.
Unless Lowden wants to leave I would retain, Grimley seems behind Obrien and others to get a gig again, plus if we looked at the reasoning that Rough has at least 4 years as a top flight fwd, Gunston is younger than Grimley - then Grimley is looking surplus.

Sewell I think will retire or quietly pushed - he needs to be at the top of his game to command a spot in the 22 now, he is no certainty. They are trialling Kelly in the midfield - interesting move - time will tell, but if they are trying that, he probably has another year.

Hallahan is the interesting one along with Hale for different reasons. Hale - will another premiership plus the possibility of diminishing time playing in the 1s will he go on, Hallahan is there that something that will elevate him, Langford has the maniac attack with pace.

From a KP basis I don't necessarily see us going after any. With Shem/Heatherly/Brand/Shoe/Obrien all currently developing on the list, there is a number of options there. SOme will make it some wont.

Our pressing need is depth with mids, up and coming - Jed Andreson is back, Whitecross is back next year but what else - Woodward like the look of
West Coast and Port Adelaide are interested in Lowden, if we can get something for him would be happy to let him go. Agree with Grimley, I'd rather go for a young ruck in the rookie draft as a project, especially if he's not progressing anymore.

I wouldn't mind moving Sewell on if a club like Melbourne can use him (ala Vince) and we get a pick out of it. He's done great here and he's a Hawk champ but we definitely need to start promoting the likes of Hallahan (who I rate) and Anderson (who needs to get fit!). As well as seeing if players like Simpkin or Woodward can compete better.

Key position players are a notoriously hard position to get right, as evidenced by Brand being moved to full back. You don't knock players of superior ability even if we have depth in the development of our list. All those you listed bar Schoey are still very experimental in how they'll turn out. I'd back the rated talent with a higher ceiling like Jaksch over them any time.

That doesn't mean midfield doesn't need to be looked at, it does. Hartung helps with outside run in the future but getting inside mids is a priority. Late first round should see a few still there. Just a pity we couldn't get a Dunstan or Acres type last year :p

Only way we get a pick for Sewell - as a unrestricted free agent - is if, say, Melbourne wanted to trade for him to avoid messing up their net compo for Frawley.
Ah, thought he had another year before legible for UFA, couldn't get a compo pick at least, a third rounder surely.

I believe the "GWS midfielder we are right into" is Matthew Buntine.

The " star" midfielder we seek will come via next years free agency period.
Let me try get this Wright.

We are getting Jaksch (tick)
We're into Buntine
(What's all this going to cost us?)

Hope your are even half right.

Who is this 'star' you speak of ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a comment on delistings, I'd suspect this - Hawthorn having to cut players - won't be an issue come season's end. It'll be the other way around.

Other clubs will come hunting and save HFC the trouble.

Have heard (second hand) there's interest in a lot of the BHH cattle - Even Grimley, who's copped his fair whack around the place.

For all his weaknesses, he's still 198ish with athleticism (who's won a gf and a goalkicking) and that alone would be enough to see him elsewhere, if the Hawks decide to move him on (or perhaps even before).

Hallahan is gone. Will be poached. Grimley is gone. Will be poached. Garlett was gone before we blinked. Sewell will be gone as well.

Surely becomes draft tampering though.

If that's directed at my comment about the Dees trading for an free agent to avoid messing up compo, it's done practice already.

Port traded for Angus Monfries with pick 48 and avoided taking him on as a free agent. This was because they lost Chaplin to the Tigers and Pearce to the Dockers and didn't want the incoming free agent to dilute their compo pick.

See here http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...in-deal-for-bombers-power-20121008-278jo.html

Hallahan has no tank and speed therefor restricting his ability to perform as a midfielder in the long term. Hallahan will be at another club next year and good luck to the guy, I really rate him. Grimley has had his chance, time to move on. The same with Kelly whilst Garlett is also gone, that's 4 right there.

Delist:
Kelly
Grimley
Garlett

Tradeble:
Lowden
Suckling
Schoey

Retire:
Sewell
Lake 50/50

If Lakey has a good finals series and wants to continue then I want to roll with that and get another year out of him, he is super important for us.

Those (and there are many) who say that Kelly will be delisted at the end of the season have no friggin idea. He is VERY highly rated by Clarko and has been pretty much in the best players at box hill for the last 6-7 weeks. He will not be delisted and you can bookmark that.

I honestly can't see Kyle Cheney being on the list next year. Matt Spangher has gone past him this season.

GWS have lost Stephen Gilham to retirement, will soon lose Kristian Jaksch to "a Melbourne based club" and Adelaide is reportedly courting Phil Davis, all this leaving a massive hole in GWS' defensive key position stocks.

Cheney wouldn't be too bad a place to start for them on the cheap but I also have a hunch that they may ask the Hawks of Ryan Shoenmakers availability.

It will be a very interesting trade period indeed and unlike some, I am expecting quite a bit of movement on the Hawks list.

As a side note, has anyone floated the idea of Sam Grimley in defense?

Those (and there are many) who say that Kelly will be delisted at the end of the season have no friggin idea. He is VERY highly rated by Clarko and has been pretty much in the best players at box hill for the last 6-7 weeks. He will not be delisted and you can bookmark that.
Be interested to know what role he is seen to be suited to at AFL level. Seems to do nothing wrong but doesn't seem to create much run out of defence etc. and is not tall enough for a key post. I have heard he has been playing further afield in the last few weeks. Is it possible he can play as a midfielder? Seems too slow for the wing so running HBF or inside midfielder seem the only roles I can see his physical attributes allowing him to play and it seems unlikely from what little I have seen that he will ever be a first choice in either of those. If you have any perspective to offer on this I would like to hear it.

I honestly can't see Kyle Cheney being on the list next year. Matt Spangher has gone past him this season.

GWS have lost Stephen Gilham to retirement, will soon lose Kristian Jaksch to "a Melbourne based club" and Adelaide is reportedly courting Phil Davis, all this leaving a massive hole in GWS' defensive key position stocks.
From "will be at Hawthorn next year to going to a Melbourne based club" technically Hawthorn is a Melbourne based club, You were adamant in a previous post that he will be at Hawthorn next year....so what has changed.

You remind me of Terry Wallace.......I don't like that. Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back