List Mgmt. 2014 Free Agency, draft and trades news and discussion **Not the trade hypotheticals thread"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a question directed at you specifically BOS, more just a general Q - how do you overrate a list that's the reigning premier at both levels, the senior side finishes second in the AFL H&A and the 2's runover the minor premiers to book a spot in the prelims?

I think the Kennedy lesson has been learnt. Unless you're certain they're not going to be a player, or they want to leave... hold onto them/let as few go as possible.

May be true. But didn't look like it yesterday. Seriously - if you're a Hallahan hater - and you're entitled to you're view - check out ABC iview during the week. Might give the general poster who doesn't watch BHH an idea of where Woody/Boxer/Brand/Kelly/Sicily are at.

And Cheney - who would be close to/if not the best player not playing week-in-week-out in the top grade.

Cheers - Cashew.
I haven't seen more than 2 or 3 Box Hill games this year but that's just what I've been told. Wouldn't really phase me tbh. Hasn't impressed me overly

I think we get to emotionally attached to players sometimes, just wishing fit them to succeed. But I'm reality, Hallahan is not going to be anything more than B grade. So do u bite the bullet and try to get a pick upgrade somewhere or package with our first rounder to bring in someone with a bit more pace.

Grimley has had his chance and I am not sold that it has all of the sudden clicked on the back of 3 games - 2 of which were against substandard opposition.
We should trade him out now while he has shown a bit to someone that is desperate for a forward.....buyer beware.

I am not sold on ToB either....I would certainly listen to offers. I would play Schoey forward before ToB.

We should pick up Harry Dear in this draft and he certainly shows promise.... so I have no prob offloading a forward or 2.

I hope we keep Lowden, but I fear the sharks are circling.

We have a tendency to over-rate our list and thing we should keep everyone, but then act surprised when the club delisted 4 or 5 players. The club has to turnover players in order to regenerate. If they are not in our best 22 now, then u listen to offers if it might increase the strength of your listen.

We are not going to turnover only 2 more players this year. 4 or 5 will go.

Of course fans over-rate their team's lists and players. If Kelly is the most likely non-traded/retired person to be cut then this thread is proof of that.

On the subject of rucks, teams should have a minimum of four across whole team (including forward/rucks like Grimley), I think most do. Fremantle have six, last season they used all five. So if Hale doesn't retire then one of Grimley or Lowden has to stay, or find another "Ceglar" to put on the rookie list.

Personally, my opinion if any of them have trade currency and teams interested they should be handed off as quickly as possible. List is ready for another draft-age project ruck anyway.

O'Brien is still a project player. Making a decision one way or the other now before he's had at least three years on the team is futile. If looking towards Dear as the solution, that's just doing the same over-ratedness others are doing, just projecting on newer player. Dear will help with the Hawks project forward stocks but will still take time to develop and assess if he will make it.

I think our needs come draft day are small forward (we really only have 2), a key position prospect who will ideally play back, and an inside midfielder because we lack young quality (not implying who we have aren't good, I like all three) there and there's no such thing as too many of. Combined with Dear I think that 4 will be the most selections Hawks will have.

McEvoy won't be delisted if that's what you meant? Savage aside (who I still think will end up being a really decent player), we gave up two end of first round picks for him.

Definitely not saying that we delist McEvoy, just think we have surplus needs in that area.

Dad's mate who knows someone from Box Hill has said that Hallahan will be out the door at Hawthorn because he's dropped his head and had a sook since being dropped

That would be a shame, wonder whose doing the pushing out then, him or club?

I wouldn't think the powers that be would not be happy with that sort of attitude. (if true of course)

Of course fans over-rate their team's lists and players. If Kelly is the most likely non-traded/retired person to be cut then this thread is proof of that.

On the subject of rucks, teams should have a minimum of four across whole team (including forward/rucks like Grimley), I think most do. Fremantle have six, last season they used all five. So if Hale doesn't retire then one of Grimley or Lowden has to stay, or find another "Ceglar" to put on the rookie list.

Personally, my opinion if any of them have trade currency and teams interested they should be handed off as quickly as possible. List is ready for another draft-age project ruck anyway.

O'Brien is still a project player. Making a decision one way or the other now before he's had at least three years on the team is futile. If looking towards Dear as the solution, that's just doing the same over-ratedness others are doing, just projecting on newer player. Dear will help with the Hawks project forward stocks but will still take time to develop and assess if he will make it.

I think our needs come draft day are small forward (we really only have 2), a key position prospect who will ideally play back, and an inside midfielder because we lack young quality (not implying who we have aren't good, I like all three) there and there's no such thing as too many of. Combined with Dear I think that 4 will be the most selections Hawks will have.

We definitely need another small forward, with Dayle Garlett leaving and Rioli's hamstring troubles, we only really have Breust and Poppy, thank god they have been injury free the last 3yrs.

I wonder if the club would look at Jeff Garlett, would be a risk, but he has talent. Certainly had a couple of really good years under Ratten.

Don't know about Jeff Garlett but would the Dogs consider someone like Grimley for Dahlhaus?
If they did consider it it wouldn't be for much longer than it takes for the suggestion to register with them before you got a flat out "NO". That is after the laughter died down.

If they did consider it it wouldn't be for much longer than it takes for the suggestion to register with them before you got a flat out "NO". That is after the laughter died down.
You might have to put some bells and whistles on the deal but it isn't as silly as you may think.
Is Grimley a better player than Jones? Possibly. Personally, I think he is. They are crying out for a big forward. Dahlhaus has the runs on the board but he has more than likely reached his ceiling at the AFL level. He is a forward and will always be a forward at the Dogs andthey can replace him/his role. If they want to improve they have to consider these sort of trading options because they cannot enter another season with limited tall forwards.

You might have to put some bells and whistles on the deal but it isn't as silly as you may think.
Is Grimley a better player than Jones? Possibly. Personally, I think he is. They are crying out for a big forward. Dahlhaus has the runs on the board but he has more than likely reached his ceiling at the AFL level. He is a forward and will always be a forward at the Dogs andthey can replace him/his role. If they want to improve they have to consider these sort of trading options because they cannot enter another season with limited tall forwards.
They know exactly what they'll get from Dahlhaus and he is best 22 for them. Grimley is unproven at AFL level and the obvious questions they'll be asking themselves are why has he not been able to crack into the Hawthorn team in 5 years as consistently as someone like O'Brien has in 1 or 2?

Suggest the trade on their board though. I think you'll find they'll counter offer maybe just their 3rd pick. 2nd pick if they're feeling desperate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know about Jeff Garlett but would the Dogs consider someone like Grimley for Dahlhaus?

If you have seen Dalhaus play at all you would know that we would probably have to give up Isaac Smith or Luke Breust to get him. You just can't offer up an average player for a gun

If you have seen Dalhaus play at all you would know that we would probably have to give up Isaac Smith or Luke Breust to get him. You just can't offer up an average player for a gun
Are we talking about the same bloke. Dahlhaus? For Breust?:confused: Wow

Are we talking about the same bloke. Dahlhaus? For Breust?:confused: Wow

Dahlhaus is an absolute gun - the guys at Champion reckon he is tracking where Gary Ablett was at the same time (statistically) - huge upside and the ability to play a genuine midfield role also beckons. He is playing in a very average team and would dominate at a club like Hawthorn - All reasons to get him but you are not going to get him from Grimley - as pointed out he is definitely in their best 22 and would require a best 22 player to move - that's all Im saying

And what do you think they would get for Dahlhaus in isolation. Probably a late 2nd rounder. The reality is he is a good role player in a poor team. Grimley will fetch a second rounder.
The club would be charged with grand larceny if we got a 2nd rounder for him.

He was only an early-mid 3rd rounder 5 years ago. Since then he's only managed 3 goals in 3 AFL games. A few late season bags of goals will do little to up his trade value and at best probably raises him from being delisted to perhaps allowing us to upgrade a pick. Only way we get the Doggies second rounder for Grimley is if it includes our second rounder.

Dahlhaus is an absolute gun - the guys at Champion reckon he is tracking where Gary Ablett was at the same time (statistically) - huge upside and the ability to play a genuine midfield role also beckons. He is playing in a very average team and would dominate at a club like Hawthorn - All reasons to get him but you are not going to get him from Grimley - as pointed out he is definitely in their best 22 and would require a best 22 player to move - that's all Im saying
Seriously, I couldn't give a s**t what the stat sheet says, I judge players by what I see and the impact they have on a game. Players are compiling more meaningless stats than ever before.

I think we could use him in the forward line, but there is no way known his value is that high. We may have to throw in steak knives:D

The club would be charged with grand larceny if we got a 2nd rounder for him.

He was only an early-mid 3rd rounder 5 years ago. Since then he's only managed 3 goals in 3 AFL games. A few late season bags of goals will do little to up his trade value and at best probably raises him from being delisted to perhaps allowing us to upgrade a pick. Only way we get the Doggies second rounder for Grimley is if it includes our second rounder.
Grimley AND 2nd round pick!!!!!! Ok. We leave the discussion at that point. Seriously overrated if that is the case. Kicked 28 goals last season. Only 18 this year. Just Ok. Has a high tackle to FF ratio which is his biggest selling point

Grimley AND 2nd round pick!!!!!! Ok. We leave the discussion at that point. Seriously overrated if that is the case. Kicked 28 goals last season. Only 18 this year. Just Ok. Has a high tackle to FF ratio which is his biggest selling point
It's more a case of you over rating Grimley. He is the steak knives in that trade, not our second rounder.

Look up what we got for Jordan Lisle a few years back. That's ballpark Grimley's worth despite all his "potential" and Brisbane paid overs because they were desperate. No sane list manager will give up much more than that for him because there's a good chance that after 5 years he will never make it. Not saying he won't make it but clubs aren't going to trade for him with best case scenario in mind.

Dangerfield, Treloar, Shiel & Hoskin-Elliott should all be in our minds during season 2015. Alex Rance also.

This year we could grab a Small Forward & another key defender as it looks like Frawley will be a Cat. I'd be tempted to chase Alex Rance now or even someone else like M.Brown. Also instead of keeping Cheney we could replace him with a Tayte Pears or even a Michael Talia. Kristian Jaksch could be a huge target of ours now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back