Competitions 2014 Geelong Board National Draft prediction competition CLOSED

Remove this Banner Ad

You can win yourself a BigFooty Supporters Club membership (pending approval) for a year by winning this year's Geelong Board draft competition (if you already have a membership then your new one will start after your current subscription lapses).

Be the closest to the correct selections Geelong make in the 2014 AFL National Draft.

The hierarchy of marking will be as follows:

a) Number of correct selections (i.e. correct players chosen with the correct selection)
b) If a) tied, total number of correct players (i.e. correct players chosen with the incorrect selection)
c) If b) tied, sum of differences of each incorrect predicted player selection to his actual player selection (if your player is not selected at all, then the total number of players in the draft will be used as that difference)

Once you have posted your selection feel free to come back and alter as you wish up until 6PM on the day of the draft, at which time the thread will be locked.

Geelong's live National Draft selections are:

Good luck.

Also be sure to try to take $2500 from Chief by entering this year's 2014 BigFooty Draft Tipping Competition!

Last edited:
10. Paul Ahern - 181cm Mid/Fwd
I'm really torn with this pick. I know we need KPD's. But I can really see a need going forward for a midfielder that is creative and kicks goals. Whether he gets to 10 is another matter.

47. Jackson Nelson - Def. 187cm

55. Sean McLaren - 197cm KPD
A big bodied defender. I'm not actually sure where he might go, but this looks about right.

60. Damien Cavka - 184cm Mid/ fwd

SJ: 0/4

Last edited by a moderator:

10 - nakia cockatoo
47 - clem smith
55 - peter bampton
60 - cameron delaney

SJ: 1/4

Just getting ideas down, will finalize closer to the draft.

10. Durdin
47. Glenn
55. Webb
59. Daniel

Here we go, another year of draft comp disappointment:

10. De Goey
47. Gore
55. Markov
60. Miles

Edit #1: @ 10 - Changed Blakely for De Goey. I think he shows a bit more class in the air and around the ground. Better kicking action too, so I think skill wise he'll be more transferable to AFL level. Looks like a Wells pick to me. Reminds me of a cross between Bartel and Duncan maybe?

SJ: 0/4 (+1*)

10. Jarrod Pickett
47. Nathan Drummond
55. Josh Glenn
60. Billy Evans

10 - Jordan De Goey
47 - Josh Glenn
55 - Sean McLaren
60 - Caleb Daniel

All the ones on here so far aren't too bad.

Think it shows how evenly spread the draft is and also that there is some value late with people throwing up the names of Panos, Anderson, Evans, Miles and Daniel.

OK 3rd go

10. Peter Wright................ This is a raffle , a Dogs breakfast and I'm split here as id like to add Weller or a Pickett(probably gone) DeGoey would be a solid pick , and I believe Durdin would be a good add as well. In the end I believe the chance to draft a kid this talented , at this height is to rare for us. Park him the two for a couple of years , get some time with Ottens into him , and he could be the best player from the draft in 5 years time.

47. Pat McKenna.. ....... Might be a stretch McKenna is the Cricket based player , captain of the Australian under-19 cricket team but as a few player tend do has decided to focus on Football. He kicked 16 goals in a game for Gisborne under-18s this year then kicked 45 goals for the senior side in 18 matches, including nine goals against Kangaroo Flat. Not super quick but strong overhead and clever apparently , the resonates a Geelong pick to me. This kid is Green , im talking Hartman green so from that POV IM not sure we should take him but if not picked he will sit in the U18's next year and elvate in value. Hartman has proved me wrong so doe Wells do it again? The issue is Hawks appear to be into him so if we want him its 47 before their 50.

55. Jackson Nelson............. We have been strongly linked to Jackson...have to say I have discounted him a bit thru this draft lead up , not sure why but when one looks at his vid..one can see plenty to like. Good foot skills , both sides , good height for a defensive mid at 187/188. Appears quick enough. Of course Turner says he eliet in everything (or so it seems). Compares him to Boak at the same age He says he gets the ball well, is a great decision-maker, has elite skills and is a great athlete. He plays midfield/forward and He’s a seriously quick.
Gees sound like a player that should be going R1. In the end its so even and so many nice looking types I thought we may as well go local.

59. Ed Langdon ............. I'll carry this kid over . We have been linked to Butler , he looks an other type similar to LincM , so I will go for this kid. If he gets to us of course. I think he looks a nippy type that runs on to goal , similar to Blease but could develop to run thru the middle 15.3 Beep , 2.92 over 20M... So has that ideal mix of speed and stamina. The club is saying it has plenty of outside run , Im not so sure so why not add a bit more with some goal sense.

2nd GO
47. Ed Vickers Willis.. ....... Might be a stretch to get him at 47 but meehh. Impressed with what he brings off and on the ground. Just resonates leadership , has and has ben asked to mind smalls and talls.
55. Ed Langdon ............. I know this now gives us a second Ed. Think he is a nippy type that runs on to goal , similar to Blease but could develop to run thru the middle 15.3 Beep , 2.92 over 20M... So has that ideal mix of speed and stamina
60. Nick Mellington............. Just another kid that probably has a few rough edges , but Captain of the Bushrangers , lead by example in a losing final tells me he leads on the ground. Huge number of names around this pick

First Go Tyler Kietel@47 , Josh McGuiness@55 , Michael Manteit@60

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Manteit is a bit outta nowhere Turbocat.

And that ain't a criticism, I've just never seen him.

Care to share a bit about him?

Bit of a "Hail Mary" Piv , could have put a heap of player in there ..... First I have not seen live either , so.. not like I'm an expert on him. He has been playing in the same side as Brayshaw.. Sandy Dragons , and and compares quite well apparently. The package appeals to me as the sort that could do what we previously discussed , find a player late instead of taking DeGoey early. He has a nice relaxed kick on him , has some speed and is not shy on contact.

This is what Snoops says in his phantom:
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Height: 186cm
Weight: 81kg
Position: HBF / Wing
Bio: Had a blinding start to the season but has tapered a bit as the year has gone on and hence has flown under the radar of a lot of folk this year but I expect he will be one that is called up at some stage before the 2 drafts are out. Is a terrific height and has speed to burn. If he gets the ball on the defensive side of HB he will cut teams up on transition. He is an elite user of the ball and he would much rather take the game on and kick. Could be up in the 3rd round.

I may change these closer to draft date.

10 - Sam Durdin
47 - Jordan Cunico
55 - Jackson Nelson
60 - Bailey Dale

10. Jake Lever (although I may slot Wright in here closer to the draft)
47. Alex Glenn
55. Oleg Markov
60. Nathan Drummond
Alex Glenn - is that a hybrid of Josh Glenn & Alex Carr??

Or am I missing really missing something here?

May as well throw mine into the mix. Found it really hard this year as there are a number of guys I quite like (especially with the later picks).

I agree with Turbocat in that our first pick will probably determine the other selections to a degree. There are holes everywhere (except for tall forwards) so I've ended up looking more at coverage for the future.

I wouldn't expect any of these guys to have an impact next year.

#10 - Sam Durdin (West Adelaide). Can play back and forward but defence is where I see him making his home. Pinch hit in the ruck but isn't big enough to do that at AFL level. People point at his Championships and question whether he is actually that good but he was coming off injury that put him behind the 8-ball. His finals series for Westies at U18 level was very good and should allay any fears people have. At his best he would be pushing the top 6 or 7 in my opinion.

I think we'll go for a tall defender so it might come down to Durdin, Lever, Goddard or even Marchbank. If they are gone it might be Ahern or Pickett. Secretly I'm hoping for Connor Blakely but the move up the order has, I think, put paid to him arriving at the Cattery.

#47 - Harrison Wigg (North Adelaide). There are a few guys I could have dropped here (sorry Josh Glenn, Jordan Cunico & Jaden McGrath) but I rate Wigg, especially the weapon that is his left foot. I like Wigg so much I actually think he shouldn't even be available here but everything I've read recently seems to suggest he might be here. If he is I hope we really consider him. Many people like Duggan and one of the reasons for that is because Duggan is excellent by foot. I think Wigg is his equal but Wigg's problem is the fact he checks in at the 179-180cm mark compared to Duggin at 183cm. But after watching Wigg continually hit his targets when kicking out makes me feel comfortable enough. There are a few knocks on Wigg but I'm happy to overlook his possible lack of speed or height because of the laser-like ability of his kicking and his reading of the play.

Wouldn't be unhappy if we took Glenn, Cunico or McGrath here as they all have skills we could use. But I'm in love with Wigg's left peg.

#55 - James Rose (Sturt). Clever half forward who I think, in time, will be able to rotate through the midfield. Like his Sturt stablemate, Dean Gore, Rose appears to be a little under-appreciated here in Victoria. Good mark, good kick and knows where to lead to. Considering his frame right now he also isn't worried about the physical side of the game and is happy hitting packs when going for his marks. Needs to find more of the ball but isn't bad value for touches at the moment.

Webb (who I really like) and, in particular, Anderson are other guys who could play that half forward role. I like those guys but I think Rose has them covered.

#59 - Billy Evans (Bendigo). Inside, contested midfielder. Of the 4 guys I've gone for it is Evans who I think is best equipped to play next year (not that I think he should). He is a big body and does all his work inside packs. Won a berth on the TAC Cup Team of the Year and, while he was quiet in the televised Championship games he produced a huge game against eventual winners SA in Adelaide. There he had 28 touches, 11 clearances and 4 tackles. Daniel McL will take an instant liking to him if he lands at Geelong as some people have likened Evans to Jansen. Despite my gushing about him, there is a reason he is still around this late. Consistency is one thing he'll need to work on and he probably can only play through the midfield.

Teia Miles, son of Geoff, is another guy I wouldn't mind seeing selected by the Cats while Jack Lonie also displayed some good form as a small, quick half forward while mature agers Shannon Taylor and Matt Panos would also be worth considering. And lets not forget Caleb Daniel (which I almost did) even though plenty "overlook" him (har-f**king-har).

Rest assured, none of these guys will now be selected by Wells & Co.

10. Peter Wright
47. Caleb Daniel
55. Matt Panos
60. Sean McLaren

Stab in the dark.
10. DeGoey 187cm/82k mid size defender

47. Gore 183cm/86k mid

55. Drummon 181cm/85k mid

60. Sean Mclean 197cm/92k defender

With 10 minutes research I've come up with that motley crew.There are a few I'd take naturally before DeGore if they slip to 10 but hey lock it in Eddie.

Alex Glenn - is that a hybrid of Josh Glenn & Alex Carr??

Or am I missing really missing something here?

Sorry my bad, Alex Glenn plays rugby for the Kiwis! so yep I meant Josh

I do hope we draft Josh though, he is a good player and fills a need for us (small defender)

Do you really think both Lever or Wright will be there at pick 10? or is this a red herring,I'm expecting a late change.

I definitely think one of Durdin, Wright or Lever will be there at 10, it's looking likely now unless GC go tall at 8.

Not sure if more than one will be there though.

I definitely think we will take Lever if there and we will probably take the other two if they are (assuming Pickett is gone)

10. Nakia Cockatoo (will also take the #5 jumper)
47. Dean Gore
55. Keenan Ramsey
60. Daniel Butler

Final Edit.

SJ: 1/4 (+1*)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back