News 2014 Geelong guernseys and apparel - new 'premiership guernsey' to be worn in Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

How come?

Surely will see the names on replay/tv.

I guess thats what the trial is for. To find out.

It's a "trial" to confirm what they have already decided to do.

"We surveyed a deep supporter sample of 11 backpackers in Prague, but a nearsighted goat farmer in Botswana (a big growth area for Australian Rules F...sorry - AFL), and they confirmed that they found it much easier to identify Josh Selwood with the name on the back. Accordingly it will be introduced in 2015."*

* The fact that it's a blatant cash grab and nothing more won't be mentioned at all.

I personally prefer the guernseys without names, but I'm not all that fussed.
I will, however, throw my toys out of the cot if the front of the guernseys are covered in a sponsors logo.
It's only a matter of time till this happens...

Would prefer a small number on the front.
No number on the back.

But at the pace we play just catching a "1" can give you a clue as to who the player was.
The name won't help that.

It makes zero difference to the game, let's face it.
Will help kids identify players though. In warm ups and when stationary.

But the biggest thing is that it will make player issued guernseys more legit for resale.

It's just another step towards losing more of those little things that make our game unique. Meh, same sh*t happened when sponsors started appearing on guernseys. This is just more of the same copycat of other larger codes evolution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally prefer the guernseys without names, but I'm not all that fussed.
I will, however, throw my toys out of the cot if the front of the guernseys are covered in a sponsors logo.
It's only a matter of time till this happens...

jumper copy.jpg

In an article this morning on the AFL website about Melbourne releasing their Indigenous Guernsey.

"FOR THE first time all 18 clubs will wear specially designed guernseys during Indigenous Round in round 11."
I don't mind the idea of a one off indigenous jumper... But I certainly hope the players at the club had a hand or say in the design of it...

Bullshit! That's not it surely!

They should have stuck to white or a lighter blue for the tribal markings and have them within the blue hoops only.
This guernsey looks messy and rushed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back