Toast 2014 GFC

Remove this Banner Ad

After losing all the talent we have had depart over the years and combined with the way the competition parity has been set up, Geelong should be about 8th by now.

At the start of the year, we once again had said farewell to more Champions of the club and the game.

Even on this board, the expectation was that whilst we would be competitive we could be thereabouts in September but Top 2 was probably out of the question, Top 4 was only a maybe and some even thought the Top 8 was a push.

As such, and before a shot is fired for real in the Finals, Id just like to thank the GFC for breaking the mould again and finishing 3rd.

Regardless of what happens over the next few weeks, the GFC for mine has exceeded expectations and for that I'm grateful to have been able to be a part of it. After 35 years as a Cats fan I just don't want the magnitude of the achievements to get lost in the moment.

Congrats Geelong and now that I've said my bit,

Let win this thing and piss them all right off!

Go Catters

Great call Daz.

We "should" be where Saints and Doggies are. We "could" be where Collingwood are. We played Port in a GF seven years ago and they have done the bloody full cycle down and up since then!

I can't take these ten years for granted. As Scotty would say "We're very fortunate and we should never forget it"

Equal top this year. Incredible really.
Fortune has favoured us. But you don't finish equal top without deserving it. If we make it to prelims I'd call it a successful season given our current position. However, given where I'd thought we'd finish at the start of the year, I'm pretty stoked to be top 4 anyway.

The fact that we are even likely to play in a Prelim this year is testament to Scotty and the club in general.
We shouldn't be playing finals, so even just to qualify is a feat worthy of praise, but to be equal first with a real chance to win the damn thing?!?
Fair Dinkim Unbeliebable Bobby!

After losing all the talent we have had depart over the years and combined with the way the competition parity has been set up, Geelong should be about 8th by now.

At the start of the year, we once again had said farewell to more Champions of the club and the game.

Even on this board, the expectation was that whilst we would be competitive we could be thereabouts in September but Top 2 was probably out of the question, Top 4 was only a maybe and some even thought the Top 8 was a push.

As such, and before a shot is fired for real in the Finals, Id just like to thank the GFC for breaking the mould again and finishing 3rd.

Regardless of what happens over the next few weeks, the GFC for mine has exceeded expectations and for that I'm grateful to have been able to be a part of it. After 35 years as a Cats fan I just don't want the magnitude of the achievements to get lost in the moment.

Congrats Geelong and now that I've said my bit,

Let win this thing and piss them all right off!

Go Catters

Bugger DB - you beat me too it. I just posted a similar new thread. perhaps we should combine these two threads Moderators.

Someone will write a serious book about Geelong (not talking about the Mission etc.) - how equalization was meant to stop Geelong in its tracks but how this great club defied convention, the odds and the critics.

The book will be called 'The Geelong Paradox', and it will be studied in universities across the world

Last edited:
Great call dazbroncos , I think the club has exceeded everyone's expectations this year and regardless of what happens in the next month we have taken massive steps forward in regards to the inevitable transition of the team.
I have particularly enjoyed seeing the new look Geelong midfield. At the start of the year it seemed as though Selwood & Johnson would need to carry the midfield whilst the younger guys came on but heading into finals this year it's guys like Duncan, Caddy, Guthrie, Bundy who have taken the next step and have now become the core of what is looking like a very promising young midfield. It looks as though the reins have officially been handed over. Obviously Selwood and probably Johnson are still our 2 best midfielders but there is way less pressure on these guys to carry us each week.
Would love to go all the way this year and shove it right up them.

Sorry for the intrusion but I couldn't agree more (except the bit about winning the whole thing!) You guys are an amazing club and this era is one to treasure.
The club has been chock full of out and out champions of the game for the last 8 years, with a record to match. Massive respect for your club.

Last edited:
Sorry for the intrusion but I couldn't agree more (except the bit about winning the whole thing!) You guys are an amazing club and this era is one to treasure.
The club has been chock full of out and out champions of the game for the last 8 years, with a record to match. Massive respect for your club.
You are my sort of intruder.
All year I have Hawks to win the flag fwiw, but we'll have a true indication in < 48 hours now.
As in 2011, the winner of Fri night's game should go on to win the flag at home in Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great call Daz.

We "should" be where Saints and Doggies are. We "could" be where Collingwood are. We played Port in a GF seven years ago and they have done the bloody full cycle down and up since then!

I can't take these ten years for granted. As Scotty would say "We're very fortunate and we should never forget it"

And Port also got the prized picks that go along with that slide down the ladder. Whilst they used them very well, they still got that option afforded to them due to finishing in the bottom 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back