Competitions 2014 Hawk Board Phantom Draft (Complete)

Remove this Banner Ad

#33 Richmond – Jack Lonie (VIC – Fwd/Mid)
Height: 174cm, Weight: 67kg, DOB: 13/08/1996
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Profile: Lively small forward.
This is the second of the Tigers "NEEDS" ......
Will do the write up around the 7.00 mark .
Your up VandoHawk
Jack is a small elusive fwd who's hard at it and able to push up the ground and work back in to space .
He's quick and posses a nice side step , something i rate a must in a small fwd . Without doubt he's a better kick when putting the ball across his boot as apposed to the traditional drop punt , often his field kicking will drop short of the intended targets ( area of his game he must improve in ) .
He will chase , run down and tackle which is now a non-negotiable in a small fwd these days .
His work by hand is ok but again will need a little work .
Over all plenty to work with , very much in the mold of Steve Milne ( on field only ) .

Last edited:

#34: Touk Miller (Midfielder/Forward)
Height: 177cm, Weight: 80kg, D.O.B: 22/2/1996
Recruited From: Calder Cannons

I was fortunate enough to watch this kid's highlights. In a VIC Metro team with the likes of Petracca and other young guns, his ability to burst from packs and kick goals from long distances was what really caught my eye. He was named as Captain for VIC Metro in the under 18 championships, showing strong leadership capabilities. In the TAC cup he kicked 10 goals from 10 appearances. He's strongly built and can hold his own in 1 on 1 contests, despite his lackluster height, and is described as an "in and under midfielder". Quoting: "What's most impressive is that his efforts off the play to pressure, harass and follow up for second and third efforts are just as influential as when he is in possession of the ball."

With a quote like that you would expect him to not get much of the ball but play an extremely crucial role for his team (e.g Puopolo). However, he averages 24 disposals, four marks and 5.8 tackles over a season with the Calder Cannons. He's compared to Patrick Dangerfield. What lets him down is his composure in pressure situations, where his kicking and decision making can be questioned, but in time raw skill and discipline can learn to overcome this. If he had the composure in these situations I could easily see him being a first round pick.

Not exactly the big bodied midfielder that fits Fremantle's game style, but as a future leader and an extremely talented player I think Fremantle would jump if they got the chance to get him with their Second Round pick. Perhaps a shorter but more X-Factor (if I can even use the term like this) version of David Mundy. image.jpg

I have nickrebellious selection. He get's his first choice too!

#35: Adelaide - Damien Cavka (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 03/07/1996
Recruited from: Calder Cannons

Update to come.

SodaPop you're up!

#34: Touk Miller (Midfielder/Forward)
Height: 177cm, Weight: 80kg, D.O.B: 22/2/1996
Recruited From: Calder Cannons

I was fortunate enough to watch this kid's highlights. In a VIC Metro team with the likes of Petracca and other young guns, his ability to burst from packs and kick goals from long distances was what really caught my eye. He was named as Captain for VIC Metro in the under 18 championships, showing strong leadership capabilities. In the TAC cup he kicked 10 goals from 10 appearances. He's strongly built and can hold his own in 1 on 1 contests, despite his lackluster height, and is described as an "in and under midfielder". Quoting: "What's most impressive is that his efforts off the play to pressure, harass and follow up for second and third efforts are just as influential as when he is in possession of the ball."

With a quote like that you would expect him to not get much of the ball but play an extremely crucial role for his team (e.g Puopolo). However, he averages 24 disposals, four marks and 5.8 tackles over a season with the Calder Cannons. He's compared to Patrick Dangerfield. What lets him down is his composure in pressure situations, where his kicking and decision making can be questioned, but in time raw skill and discipline can learn to overcome this. If he had the composure in these situations I could easily see him being a first round pick.

Not exactly the big bodied midfielder that fits Fremantle's game style, but as a future leader and an extremely talented player I think Fremantle would jump if they got the chance to get him with their Second Round pick. Perhaps a shorter but more X-Factor (if I can even use the term like this) version of David Mundy.View attachment 88803
I like the look of this guy, appears to be a hard worker in the mould of Puopolo.

#36 North Melbourne - Daniel Nielson (VIC – KPD)

No secret that we'll be needing a big bodied defender soon. Time to start grooming one.

Height: 193cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 09/05/1996
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: Strong bodied stopper.

Nice one, now we finally welcome bumsonseats to the podium for the first time with Sydney first selection and Jack Hiscox!

Pick 37 - Sydney: Keenan Ramsay
193 cm, 86 kg, 23/8/96
Range: 40-rookie
Comparison: Alipate Carlile

Keenan Ramsay is a bit of a Brenton Phillips special. Played as a forward for most of his career, Ramsay was made the number one defender for South Australia in the championships and did it really well. While he only has one working eye, it isn't noticeable on the field. In defence he reads the play well and zones off at the right times, while by foot he's very reliable. He works really hard on the field too, always making those second efforts and desperate pressure acts others don't. With his ability to swing forward, Ramsay really does loom as an attractive prospect.

Courtesy: Skippo's

With Sydney having a solid depth of mids, and already locking down Heeney in the first round, I though I would target a KPD.
Sydney's tall defensive stock look vulnerable with Ted Richards nearing the end and a general lack of depth in that area of the ground.
Ramsay offers a genuine one-on-one defender prospect, coupled with good footskills out of the backhalf and solid overhead.

Looks like being a real one-eyed Swan ;)

Pick 38 - Sydney: Jack Hiscox - Academy (NSW, Hard running midfielder)

184cm, 74 kg, 23/3/95
Range: Sydney 2nd
Style: Brad Hill

Having been nominated as an academy selection by the Swans, it was a major surprise to see Fremantle bid pick 31 for Hiscox, and just as much a surprise to see Sydney match it. There must be something about him I'm missing as I just can't see it. Hiscox runs a 16.1 beep test and broke the record for the 3 km time trial with a 9 minute, 18 second run but barring that there's just not much to his game. He's capable of dropping forward and kicking a goal off a wing and he has an okay kick with some penetration at times but at the moment he's very much a high level endurance athlete with a reasonable sprint. There's not much more to him. Despite being a year older than his fellow juniors he failed to really impose himself which, with an age advantage, he'd have wanted to.

Courtesy: Skippos

As you can see, Skippos doesnt seem to think to much of him.
Not much to see here.

You need the @ symbol before the name and it will come up with a list of names, click on the person you want:

Davo-27

As for Hiscox, Paige rates him better:
An athlete with a rare combination of speed and endurance, Jack Hiscox is a champion 800 metre National Champion runner: however, he’s turned his hand to football where his few seasons within the Academy system have seen him flourish in an professional environment. Hiscox’s pace and endurance is the cornerstone of his game, but that’s not all he’s got to offer. He is smart with the football, he’s evasive and he backs his speed and acceleration to create separation on his opponent. He has terrific goal sense when within range, but he’s also clever enough to lower his eyes and hit up a leading target. Breaking the 3 km time trial record with a 9:18 run, while managing to record the second-best beep test result in combine history with 16.1, Hiscox’s endurance is unrivalled. Although he may take a few seasons to really come on and develop, he’s going to be a real find for the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#39 Aidan Anderson - Western Bulldogs -(WA – Forw/Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 10/8/1996
Recruited from: Swan Dist
Profile: Dangerous Med Forward.

Dangerous medium crumbing forward, good in the air and clean hands when the ball hits the ground, smart forward who sets up as many goals as he kicks, kind've like Breust/Walters(frem) has performed at WAFL level, definately could make an impact early in his career, would fit in well with Boyd/Stringer at the Bulldogs, making it a very strong forw line for years to come......oozes x-factor, takes marks a player of his height shouldn't, just knows how to win a contest, probably the most exciting sml/med forw in the draft

took my time as Daniel and Ramsay were taken from me earlier :(

Aidan Andersons highlights http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-13/aidan-anderson-highlights

you're up HawkintheTuarts

Last edited:
Names are starting to pile up but it was a toss up between two here. Both have slid but I whilst I think the one I chose is perhaps less of a slider than the other, I think he suits Melbourne better. Without further ado:

gfLcmnm.jpg

copyright: Phil Argent http://phatsnaps.photoshelter.com/

Pick #40 Melbourne - Dean Gore (Midfielder)
South Australia/Sturt/Hahndorf
26.06.1996 Height: 183cm Weight: 86kg
Player Comparison: Josh Kennedy

I really like Gore and happy that he is still here. Brayshaw and Gore would boost Melbourne's midfield stock immensely and with his frame Gore could conceivably push a few plodders out of the Rd 1 team. He's not super flashy, otherwise there'd by more hype about him but he does what he can very well. This is a player who's had most of his games in the SANFL league side, already has the body to play AFL football and the elite endurance to do so as well.

So he has elite endurance but also a good burst of speed from the pack, which helps him so much with his clearance work which is top notch. He's not just a one trick mid, he's tackling rate is extremely high too getting stuck into any contest, but is also versatile enough to play on the outside and is suited on the half forward flank but even likes playing down back occasionally.

The knocks on him are few but probably explain why his so under-rated. May not have the biggest ceiling of mids in the draft as he wont be elite, but could easily be one of those useful B-level mids, sort of like Sewell or Douglas. His kicking, especially under pressure isn't the best as his decision making suffers and his outside game could use improvement.

But at this stage of the draft he's a massive get and full of positives. He'd ease the pressure on Brayshaw and other inside mids om the engine room, whilst increasing the competition for places with the lesser lights.

SSSSSS you're up

#39 Aidan Anderson (WA – Forw/Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 10/8/1996
Recruited from: Swan Dist
Profile: Dangerous Med Forward.

Dangerous medium crumbing forward, good in the air and clean hands when the ball hits the ground, smart forward who sets up as many goals as he kicks, kind've like Breust/Walters(frem) has performed at WAFL level, definately could make an impact early in his career, would fit in well with Boyd/Stringer at the Bulldogs, making it a very strong forw line for years to come......oozes x-factor, takes marks a player of his height shouldn't, just knows how to win a contest, probably the most exciting sml/med forw in the draft

took my time as Daniel and Ramsay were taken from me earlier :(

Aidan Andersons highlights http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-13/aidan-anderson-highlights

you're up HawkintheTuarts

haha.......That was the other player I was looking at.
Was a choice between a small forward (Anderson) or a KPD.
In the end I went with Ramsay as I saw the KPD as a greater need.
I very nearly took Anderson hoping there would be another KPD I have my eye on for later in the draft.

good work

Really enjoying the read guys. Thanks for putting in the effort.
It does look like quite a deep draft and I'm surprised how many good players slipped to the 20's and 30's in this phantom draft and I'm looking forward to see who is selected next.
I hadn't thought about it before but when you look at the amount of raw talent then you would have to think the interviews the clubs have with the kids would have a huge impact on their decision making, with discipline etc being a huge part. But then you get Buddy and Dusty and I suppose you just pick and hope? Would be fascinating to sit in on this process!
Also noticed only 1 pick so far for someone who has been injured all year, are there many more that may slip because they aren't in front of the camera right now?

Names are starting to pile up but it was a toss up between two here. Both have slid but I whilst I think the one I chose is perhaps less of a slider than the other, I think he suits Melbourne better. Without further ado:

gfLcmnm.jpg

copyright: Phil Argent http://phatsnaps.photoshelter.com/

Pick #40 Melbourne - Dean Gore (Midfielder)
South Australia/Sturt/Hahndorf
26.06.1996 Height: 183cm Weight: 86kg
Player Comparison: Josh Kennedy

I really like Gore and happy that he is still here. Brayshaw and Gore would boost Melbourne's midfield stock immensely and with his frame Gore could conceivably push a few plodders out of the Rd 1 team. He's not super flashy, otherwise there'd by more hype about him but he does what he can very well. This is a player who's had most of his games in the SANFL league side, already has the body to play AFL football and the elite endurance to do so as well.

So he has elite endurance but also a good burst of speed from the pack, which helps him so much with his clearance work which is top notch. He's not just a one trick mid, he's tackling rate is extremely high too getting stuck into any contest, but is also versatile enough to play on the outside and is suited on the half forward flank but even likes playing down back occasionally.

The knocks on him are few but probably explain why his so under-rated. May not have the biggest ceiling of mids in the draft as he wont be elite, but could easily be one of those useful B-level mids, sort of like Sewell or Douglas. His kicking, especially under pressure isn't the best as his decision making suffers and his outside game could use improvement.

But at this stage of the draft he's a massive get and full of positives. He'd ease the pressure on Brayshaw and other inside mids om the engine room, whilst increasing the competition for places with the lesser lights.

SSSSSS you're up

Gore was 1 i was looking at as well, i had him on my short list for the 2 picks i have coming up......

Just a warning with those youtube clips with the numbers on them e.g. #1, are disabled to play on other websites for some bizarre reason.

Just a warning with those youtube clips with the numbers on them e.g. #1, are disabled to play on other websites for some bizarre reason.
Just a warning to you...don't steal my players next time :p

Pick 41 Toby McClean Height: 179cm, Weight: 70kg VIC

• Great stats in the TAC cup. Top 5 goal kicker for a small
  • Shown some heaps of midfield and forward ability
  • Great athleticism. Quick, evasive, balanced and great leap.
  • X-factor. Kicks nice goals and can take a hanger.
  • Very good overhead
  • Good skills. Hands and kicking are solid.
  • Creates and kicks goals.
Obvious comparisons are Jamie Elliot (minus the s**t tats). Moves well, plenty of x-factor but above all he consistently produces results which is a big tick for a small forward. He does have his limitations namely his size (very light frame) and his tackling pressure (needs work if you want to make it in the AFL). He has a solid base of skills to work around and whilst I don't think his scope of development is as high as my previous picks I think he can definitely become a solid contributor up forward and possibly a midfield rotation.

Was going to go a KPD with this pick but I think Toby McClean was the more exciting pick :p

Next up HawkintheTuarts with Billy Stretch.

#14 - Adelaide: Caleb Marchbank
Position: Key Position Defender
Height: 193cm Weight: 85kg DOB: 12/07/1996
From the Murray Bushrangers
Style: Brian Lake

A smart footballer who reads the high ball well and possesses the ability to outmark his direct oppenent. Competent by foot with good decision making and a versatile player who has the potential to be played around the ground and up forward. Adelaide have chosen him on the back of losing Rutten and hope that he can form a solid trio in defence with the All-Australian Daniel Talia and the developing Kyle Hartigan.

Pick 42 is Billy Stretch, write up to be done when HawkintheTuarts is ready

you're turn to pick nickrebellious

He was meant to slide SSSSSS not cool! :D Nick should be around, plenty of time for him to post, but if he doesn't his 2nd preference from last pick is still on the board, so will just use that if we have to.

Really enjoying the read guys. Thanks for putting in the effort.
It does look like quite a deep draft and I'm surprised how many good players slipped to the 20's and 30's in this phantom draft and I'm looking forward to see who is selected next.
I hadn't thought about it before but when you look at the amount of raw talent then you would have to think the interviews the clubs have with the kids would have a huge impact on their decision making, with discipline etc being a huge part. But then you get Buddy and Dusty and I suppose you just pick and hope? Would be fascinating to sit in on this process!
Also noticed only 1 pick so far for someone who has been injured all year, are there many more that may slip because they aren't in front of the camera right now?
A few have had interrupted year with injuries, like most of the talls and a few, such as Brayshaw sat out the combine because of an injury, but nothing major. There's one good player who's in a moonboot right now who may get picked up soon ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back