Competitions 2014 Hawk Board Phantom Draft (Complete)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick #22 Reece McKenzie 196cm 106kg :eek: Victoria

Reasons for picking him

• Big lump.
  • Big upside.
  • Dominant performances in the TAC Cup (10 goal haul against Eastern Ranges, 7 again NT). 3rd overall goalkicking
  • Probably the best pack mark and one of the best contested marks in the crop. Has considerable strength advantage over most opponents
  • Tested very well. 2nd in the sprint, 5th in the jump and #1 for clean hands.
  • Improved out of sight after barely playing football in 2013 (Basketball background)
Wow having a look at that it looks this kid is going to be a steal!?

He isn't without problems. Big problems.

His kicking for goal can be very poor. Usually a no-no for keyforwards but some with enough talent (Cloke, Buddy, Roughy) can get away with it. He's also extremely inconsistent. He will either dominate or be invisible and that is a cause for concern. Second efforts are distinctly lacking and his general attitude might not be the best. He's also very one dimensional. It's not like a Roughy or Buddy who could bend over, scoop turn and snap a bullshit goal. McKenzie relies on being an immovable object and sheer power to get his opportunities and the qualities and instincts the aforementioned guns have are very hard to teach.

The talent is certainly there though and his remarkable improvement is very exciting going from virtually no football to becoming a dominant Key Forward in the TAC Cup. I think he has one of the biggest ceilings in the competition but there is huge doubts and a risk on whether he will make it. Luckily for me my actions are of no consequences and I Don't mind a punt :p Plus the Saints need someone to take over Saint Nick. Could he be the man? Let's hope so.

Could be anywhere from T.Cloke/Porkins or Casboult. If he's really shocking maybe Lisle.

Welcome aboard Reece.

calumhfc Your pick now:thumbsu:

#23 GWS - Peter Bampton (SA - Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 15/04/1996
Recruited from: Norwood
Range: 15-40
Profile: Strong bodied inside midfielder.

There were many players I could have taken in this spot but I have decided to go with Peter Bampton.
Bampton is a tough on the ball inside midfielder, who is very good at extracting the ball from congested situations and feeding to the outside mids or to the forwards. Bampton is extremely aggressive at the ball, puts his body on the line and goes 100% at every contest. Bampton has proven he can play with more physically developed players in the sanfl. It is expected that he can play senior afl in his first season with his strong frame he can handle the hardness and intensity of afl compared to lighter framed players. Bampton has elite endurance recording over 15 in the beep test at the draft combine he can run for days and should have the tank to compete for 4 quarters at afl level. Bampton has great ball skills and often finds his target. From what I know GWS has never drafted a south Australian so the go home factor could be a problem but I think that GWS should take the punt on him anyway

#24 GWS – Jack Steele (GWS academy - NSW – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 13/12/1995
Recruited from: Belconnen
Range: 2nd round.
Profile: Overage midfielder/forward.
Reasons GWS are using pick 24
  • Strong overhead mark
  • Elite tackling
  • Great inside game/High contested possession getter
  • Ball use and decision making
  • Scoreboard impact/Set shot skills
Didn't do much on Steele cause he's an academy selection so I didn't look into much
Credit to knightmare for the dot points

You're up SodaPop

Last edited:

Pick 16: North Melbourne– Liam Duggan

Position: Defender/midfielder
Height: 183 cm, Weight: 76 kg, DOB: 11/12/1996
Club: Western Jets

I see this kid as the understudy for Boomer. Glad he slid to our pick.

A bubbly character off-field, the ‘baby-faced assassin’ is another draft prospect that is gifted in terms of poise, hurt factor and game-winning attributes. Duggan won the Ben Mitchell medal for this year’s AFL-AIS intake, and has an arsenal of weaponry that far exceeds most in this year’s draft crop. Playing in an array of positions, Duggan offers get-up-and-go from half back, is particularly dangerous around the stoppages, and loves to run and carry with his line-breaking speed. The talented left footer has also shown he’s dangerous and effective around goal, kicking three final-quarter goals against the Northern Knights earlier in the year from just four disposals in a come-from-behind win. Duggan’s penetrating kick is his primary asset, but his ability to read the ball well in the air – along with both good vision and speed – suggests his best position will eventually be situated in the midfield with resting stints at half back. Despite his slim build, Duggan can win his own ball and tackles strongly.

your pick, just leave my 2 guys i have picked out, alone :p

Last edited:
Pick 17: Essendon – Jordan De Goey

Position: Midfielder/utility
Height: 187 cm, Weight: 82 kg, DOB: 15/3/1996
Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Projected draft range: 10-20
Plays like: Jack Ziebell

Jordan is a contested ball animal! (Stanton, Watson, Heppell all lack here despite being stars)
Takes marks like a tall forward (Could step into the whole left by Crameri and move into the midfield after a couple of Preseasons)
De Goey also has a class outside game (Aside from Heppell, what other outsiders have they got)
Accumulates high numbers of disposal at will
Beautiful penetrating right foot
X Factor (The Dons are seriously lacking in this department)
Pace Pace Pace (Coleyer is it)

Would have been praying for him to drop to 19 had we kept it

Pick 20: Essendon – Brayden Maynard

Position: Midfielder/forward
Height: 186 cm, Weight: 88 kg, DOB: 20/09/1996
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 15-30
Plays like: Ryan O’Keefe

Braydon is a silky balanced mid that racks up damaging disposal quickly
Inside, Outside great by hand and foot
Sublime in front of Goal
Akin to Jeremy Howe in the air
Brilliant under pressure

Cant believe he has dropped to 20. No mess mid with truely elite disposal that is forever hurting teams by hand and foot. Again wouldn't have been disappointed with him at the Hawks had we kept 19.

Pick 25: North Melbourne - Tom Lamb

Was tempted to nab him at 16 but couldn't pass on Duggan.

Position: Forward/midfielder
Height: 192 cm, Weight: 83 kg, DOB: 19/10/1996
Club: Dandenong Stingrays
Projected draft range: 6-25
Plays like: Brendon Goddard

Lamb has catapulted up the draft rankings after a scintillating combine, where he ran a sub-10 minute 3 km run and a 15.7 beep test.

The dreadlocked star whose season has been more of a shadow in comparison to his bottom-age year in 2013.
At ground level, Lamb is solid, given he tracks the ball well for a player of his size and uses the ball well by hand. His marking game, particularly contested, mirrors that of what key forwards are offering up this year. He reads the ball well in flight, and although he can sometimes double grab a mark rather than take it cleanly, he still marks well both overhead and out in front. Ideally, Lamb will become a full-time midfielder, where he can really influence a game: however, he could start his career at either end of the field. What I love about Lamb is that he often plays on when he can, backing his speed, athleticism and thumping kick to propel his team into attack. Above all, the big tick for Lamb is his versatility.

Was tempted to nab him at 16 but couldn't pass on Duggin.

Lamb has catapulted up the draft rankings after a scintillating combine, where he ran a sub-10 minute 3 km run and a 15.7 beep test.

The dreadlocked star whose season has been more of a shadow in comparison to his bottom-age year in 2013.
At ground level, Lamb is solid, given he tracks the ball well for a player of his size and uses the ball well by hand. His marking game, particularly contested, mirrors that of what key forwards are offering up this year. He reads the ball well in flight, and although he can sometimes double grab a mark rather than take it cleanly, he still marks well both overhead and out in front. Ideally, Lamb will become a full-time midfielder, where he can really influence a game: however, he could start his career at either end of the field. What I love about Lamb is that he often plays on when he can, backing his speed, athleticism and thumping kick to propel his team into attack. Above all, the big tick for Lamb is his versatility.

Likewise with 19 and Maynard.

#26 Alex Neal-Bullen - Western Bulldogs - (SA – Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 09/01/1996
Recruited from: Glenlg
Range: 20-40
Profile: Clearance winning midfielder

highly talented midfielder who is the clearance king, not only did he top the clearances at the u/18's champs, but has been performing well at SANFL level as well, his 3km time trial of 9:54 which is ranked 3rd at the combine and his Beep test of 15.2 put him near the top in endurance, was a part of the Dominating SA team in the u/18 champs, tterrific by foot and provides run and carry as well as being an inside mid, had poor DE% in the champs mostly because SA's tactic was to move it on at all costs and led to some wayward kicking at times to win, he is just a smooth mover in the midfield

watching him play i'm surprised he isn't considered a 1st rd pick, i think he has the potential to be better than those chosen ahead of him, very stoked to get him at this pick

Last edited:
#27 Tyler Keitel - Western Bulldogs -(WA – Tall Fwd/Def)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 07/02/1996
Recruited from: East Perth
Range: 20-40
Profile: Strong marking forward/defender.(genuine swingman)

one of the best talls in the draft, when playing defense always seems to be at the drop of the ball to take a mark or out-position his forward, uses the ball well when he has it, very safe player in defense, then he can go forward and kick 8 goals for you in a similarly impressive manor, he looks perfectly comfortable in either role and Dominates the aerial contests even against some of the other talls like Goddard.

has clean hands in the air or when the ball is on the ground, got equal first in the clean hands test at the combine 26/30 and never seems to be under pressure as he usually one grabs the ball and moves on.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was tempted to nab him at 16 but couldn't pass on Duggan.

Tom Lamb was my 3rd pick if the other 2 were picked, he is a good one............

I would totally be ok if #myboy didn't keep sliding only to be taken by Gunstall555 (no pressure :D).

There's some good names still on the board, it's about now where things start getting quite speculative.

I would totally be ok if #myboy didn't keep sliding only to be taken by Gunstall555 (no pressure :D).

There's some good names still on the board, it's about now where things start getting quite speculative.

i still have about around 10 guys on my (good)list, i'm sure HFC will get a good player at 31..........then we go into the talented but have slight weaknesses list which sometimes produces a champ and sometimes fails

edit: for secrecy

Last edited:
glidelas.png

Yeah, as long as they take best available, I'll be happy with the pick. I don't want them reaching for someone people have predicted to still be around at a later pick. Would still have faith they know what they're doing...but would just be disappointed.

oh no i meant i had 3 at these picks, neal-bullen/keitel and lamb in mind for picks 26/27........the other 2 i hope last til my next picks, theres still a bunch of quality in the draft :)
I was torn between Neal-bullen and Bampton

i rate them both highly, i reckon the HFC might grab 1 of those if they slide to 31, along with a few others in contention at that pick, i was gonna say "damn you took one of mine" with Bampton lol
I would be stoked if we got either of them but I think we may just miss out but anything can happen just look a tim membrey a few years back

I'm unlikely to be around until evening time - if Roddy27 hasn't selected by say...1pm, give Carlton Corey Ellis (as per other drafts outlined) and move on. Should be plenty of time/leeway given due to overnight pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back