Competitions 2014 Hawk Board Phantom Draft (Complete)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ill go with Josh Glenn. I cant do write ups right now. Ill do my last one and this one tomorrow. Cheers fellas.

Ill go with Josh Glenn. I cant do write ups right now. Ill do my last one and this one tomorrow. Cheers fellas.

#43 Adelaide – Josh Glenn (SA – Mid/Def)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB:
Recruited from: Central Districts
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: High production midfielder/back flanker from the SANFL.

bumsonseats selects Liam Dawson at 44 for Brisbane. Davo-27 up now followed by Davo-27 :D

Last edited:

Pick #42 Melbourne - Billy Stretch (Midfielder)
South Australia/Glenelg
08.09.1996 Height: 182cm Weight: 71kg
Player Comparison: Andrew Gaff (without the inside game)

And with 42 at Melbourne we land Billy Stretch thanks to the Father/Son bidding. As an outside mid, Billy fills a need perfectly and it's not a stretch to see him breaking into the first team in a couple of years time.

His key strengths are his explosive pace, definitely one of the quickiest in the draft, which he uses to great effect, frequently breaking away from packs and his edurance allows him to do this all game, there's a good base to work with. His disposal is just good enough but it stands out when running at top speed, he can still execute well, something few line-breaking draftees can boast.

Whilst he does have senior SANFL experience, he's a bit too light for AFL at the moment though so will take some bulking up. Also perhaps is a bit too limited in his game, he's purely outside run (but very good at it) so maybe needs to add a bit more to his forward play, goals, pressure etc. But there is plenty of promise there for Demons fans to be happy with this pick. Brayshaw2Stretch2Hogan4Life! :p

Pick #45 - Western Bulldogs - Billy Evans (Mid)
Vic Country/ Bendigo Pioneers
Height: 189cm Weight: 87kg DOB: 19/10/96
Player Comparison: Luke Hodge

ok heres a smokey i really like........Billy is a tall mid from the Vic Country team in the u/18 champs, he has clean hands and bursts through packs, has composure and can use both feet, he has a bit of the Lewis/Hodge kicking action in how they lean back and have a smooth follow through, which usually hits a target. he is good in the air and seems a likely type, he is your quintessential tall midfielder clubs are clamoring for, he only did the state screening, but he has too much talent not to get drafted imo

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-20/draft-prospect-billy-evans

Last edited:
#46 - Clem Smith - Western Bulldogs - (Mid)
W.A./ Perth
Height: 177cm Weight: 74kg DOB: 03/02/1996

he is the big slider in the draft and i thought i'd pull the trigger at this pick, he has great acceleration, he has performed at the u/18's champs in 2013 and 2014 being all-australian in both, he was seen as a top 10 last year and is still seen as a top 30 this year, he has a few issues that have made him slide, doesn't have the best endurance seems a tad pudgy, has alot of clangers, but then he also uses the ball well, it seems he takes risks with his disposals which isn't always bad, he also lacks a bit in his defensive game, ie tackling, pressuring, this is why he slid, but him having amazing skills/pace and ability to beat opponents 1 on 1, is why he remains a likely 1st-2nd rd pick.....

shepp your pick

Last edited:
Clem is rated the best small defender in the draft, had a great underage year but not so much this year. Can understand how he slid, though I think it wont be as far come the real thing.

Davo, just need to correct your numbers slightly. It's now shepp up with pick #47 for Geelong.

Pick 47: Geelong - Daniel McKenzie

Height: 186cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 17/05/1996
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Profile: Damaging midfielder/rebounding defender.

Chris Scott: We think Daniel is a very talented and versatile player who is an elite athlete. We think he can play an important role for us mixing between half back and midfield. Daniel was one player we rated inside the top 20 young men in the draft, and we considered taking him at pick 10, so we are obviously thrilled he was available to us at 47. Mission accomplished.

Emma Quayle said:
Midfielder with superb athletic traits across all areas, speed, endurance and agility. His excellent vertical leap also gives him the versatility to not only play on opponents his size but also those that are taller. Shows very good game sense and awareness. Averaging 14 disposals and three tackles for Oakleigh.

Pick 47: Geelong - Daniel McKenzie

Height: 186cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 17/05/1996
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Profile: Damaging midfielder/rebounding defender.

Chris Scott: We think Daniel is a very talented and versatile player who is an elite athlete. We think he can play an important role for us mixing between half back and midfield. Daniel was one player we rated inside the top 20 young men in the draft, and we considered taking him at pick 10, so we are obviously thrilled he was available to us at 47.

you forgot Mission Accomplished............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#46 - Clem Smith (Mid)
W.A./ Perth
Height: 177cm Weight: 74kg DOB: 03/02/1996

he is the big slider in the draft and i thought i'd pull the trigger at this pick, he has great acceleration, he has performed at the u/18's champs in 2013 and 2014 being all-australian in both, he was seen as a top 10 last year and is still seen as a top 30 this year, he has a few issues that have made him slide, doesn't have the best endurance seems a tad pudgy, has alot of clangers, but then he also uses the ball well, it seems he takes risks with his disposals which isn't always bad, he also lacks a bit in his defensive game, ie tackling, pressuring, this is why he slid, but him having amazing skills/pace and ability to beat opponents 1 on 1, is why he remains a likely 1st-2nd rd pick.....

shepp your pick

Seriously considered him as a second round choice but by Spangher he botched that combine with his beep test.

Couple of guys I am gobsmacked have slid this far.... Pick 62 can't come quick enough
I have a list of five....I rated Gore above them all but my second choice is still available and there's three others I rate that should have gone already and one more 'b' list draftee I think is best of the rest. Hopefully still around for Melbourne's next. :D

I don't know how real life recruiter go in with only one sheet of names, even midway through this draft I notice that your feeling change so much based on who's left....and these guys only have minutes to make decisions!

so far we have

Adel - Marchbank, Cavka, Glenn
Bris - Dawson
Carl - Cockatoo, Vickers-Willis
Coll - Laverde, Moore, Blakely
Ess - De Goey, Maynard
Frem - Goddard, Miller
Geel - Ahern, D.McKenzie
GC - Weller, Langford, McDonald
GWS - Wright, Lever, Pickett, Bampton, Steele
Haw - Ellis
Melb - Brayshaw, McCartin, Gore, Stretch
NM - Duggan, Lamb, Nielson
Port -
Rich - Menadue, Lonie
StK - Petracca, Garlett, R.McKenzie, McLean
Syd - Heeney, Ramsay, Hiscox
WCE - Durdin, Daniel
Western - Neal-Bullen, Keitel, Anderson, Evans, Smith

I have a list of five....I rated Gore above them all but my second choice is still available and there's three others I rate that should have gone already and one more 'b' list draftee I think is best of the rest. Hopefully still around for Melbourne's next. :D

I don't know how real life recruiter go in with only one sheet of names, even midway through this draft I notice that your feeling change so much based on who's left....and these guys only have minutes to make decisions!

its true how your mind changes, i had 1 guy i was keen on, but i must've rated him highly before i had watched much footage, for example i watched around 100 highlights on both youtube and the afl site and read some stuff on each and i saw this guy earlish, held him in high regard, then when i rewatched the footage i was like, maybe i over-rated him or in some cases under-rated him, but yea it takes me 30 mins or so before i make a solid decision whereas recruiters get 3-4 mins on a table, but they do have a team to discuss their decisions with

Really enjoying the read guys. Thanks for putting in the effort.
It does look like quite a deep draft and I'm surprised how many good players slipped to the 20's and 30's in this phantom draft and I'm looking forward to see who is selected next.
I hadn't thought about it before but when you look at the amount of raw talent then you would have to think the interviews the clubs have with the kids would have a huge impact on their decision making, with discipline etc being a huge part. But then you get Buddy and Dusty and I suppose you just pick and hope? Would be fascinating to sit in on this process!
Also noticed only 1 pick so far for someone who has been injured all year, are there many more that may slip because they aren't in front of the camera right now?

Also enjoyed the read so far - hadn't noticed this thread prior to now:mad::oops:

Keep up the good work guys - will be interesting to compare at conclusion of draft and in 2 years time.:thumbsu:

Also enjoyed the read so far - hadn't noticed this thread prior to now:mad::oops:

Keep up the good work guys - will be interesting to compare at conclusion of draft and in 2 years time.:thumbsu:
Thanks! This is why we do it, apart from the fun of course, to give people an idea on the draft and all the prospects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back