Competitions 2014 Hawk Board Phantom Draft (Complete)

Remove this Banner Ad

4jusux.gif

Pick 50: Hawthorn - Harry Dear

Position:
Tall Forward / Ruck
Height: 197 cm
Weight: 98 kg
DOB: 18/08/1996
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Player style: Jonathan Brown

HarryDear227ptcn1.jpg

If this were the real AFL draft I wouldn't be taking him with this pick, but as we are all Hawthorn fans here I doubt he'll be here at pick 68. After getting big wins with sliders such Ellis and Nelson, and with Lowden moving on and with rumours of Grimley being shown the door this seems like the perfect pick to select a player on a needs basis. I'm also a big fan of taking father sons with weird hair (JPK III this is where you went wrong).

Harry has spent a large part of the season injured and will need time to reshape his 98kgs into an AFL type body. From year 2 on our list I can picture him being the best big man in the VFL with opportunities to make a senior team debut in year 3.

Harry is an excellent kick at goal and can also provide a bit of ruck relief. I would have compared him to Kurt Tippett instead of Jono Brown, but quite frankly there is no way Brian Lake could use this man as a step ladder, nor would Brad Hill be able to sling him to the ground like a rag doll in a tackle. Also Kurt is a bit s**t in the ruck.

Other players considered for this pick. Not telling because I don't want them gone before pick 68.

hfc70 don't let Adam Simpson down with your next pick.[/QUOTE
Pick 50: Hawthorn - Harry Dear

Position:
Tall Forward / Ruck
Height: 197 cm
Weight: 98 kg
DOB: 18/08/1996
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Player style: Jonathan Brown

HarryDear227ptcn1.jpg

If this were the real AFL draft I wouldn't be taking him with this pick, but as we are all Hawthorn fans here I doubt he'll be here at pick 68. After getting big wins with sliders such Ellis and Nelson, and with Lowden moving on and with rumours of Grimley being shown the door this seems like the perfect pick to select a player on a needs basis. I'm also a big fan of taking father sons with weird hair (JPK III this is where you went wrong).

Harry has spent a large part of the season injured and will need time to reshape his 98kgs into an AFL type body. From year 2 on our list I can picture him being the best big man in the VFL with opportunities to make a senior team debut in year 3.

Harry is an excellent kick at goal and can also provide a bit of ruck relief. I would have compared him to Kurt Tippett instead of Jono Brown, but quite frankly there is no way Brian Lake could use this man as a step ladder, nor would Brad Hill be able to sling him to the ground like a rag doll in a tackle. Also Kurt is a bit s**t in the ruck.

Other players considered for this pick. Not telling because I don't want them gone before pick 68.

hfc70 don't let Adam Simpson down with your next pick.

When he's ready will we trade him to Gold Coast for third round picks?

Pick 51 - Matthew Hammelman

Position: Key forward
Height: 198 cm,
Weight: 88 kg
Club: Morningside
Matt is an athletic forward who always seems to be always on the move. He has a good pair of hands to go along with a decent leap. Will be given time based on Kennedy & Darling in the team. Could even pinch hit in the ruck if needed given his natural leap. Needs to build on his frame before thrust into AFL footy.

Surprised Brisbane didn't nominate him (Academy) but WCE happy to snap him up.

Halfback dasher.....Pick 52........good luck

Last edited:
#52 Richmond - Jaden McGrath (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 15/06/1996
Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: Classy midfielder/forward who has missed time this year through injury.Hard at it and a good user of the footy, able to be productive both inside and outside, at 52 could be a real steal.
r0_0_4584_3229_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Last edited:
Pick #53 Melbourne - Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (Defender/Midfielder)
Vic Metro/Western Jets/Hoppers Crossing
08.02.1996 Height: 185cm Weight: 80kg
Player Comparison: Plays like Hurn, acts like Mackie

438687-9bfd99a8-070f-11e4-b1cf-7e2d177ab5ea.jpg

This guy not only has the best name of the draft crop this year (excluding Hiscox obvs) but perhaps one of the best kicks. In my objective opinion as Head Demon Overlord, it's far better than Wiggs' kicking ability even, who somehow got taken before this guy. Sounds silly I know.

So yeah, DVR is a brilliant kick and his game is pretty much based on it and you'll be seeing a lot of 60m beauts from this guy. Playing that half-back/wing role he's a very outside player who doesn't really win a lot of his own ball. There's a lot to work on getting him up to the AFL standard, especially winning his own ball but is devastating with it in his hand, and there's knocks defensively with pressuring and tackling etc, but he's got an ok fitness base that should serve him well and all the football tools to succeed so he's a great pick in the middle of the third round.

Last edited:
I have VandoHawk next pick (or a list for it) for Fremantle, but that was give on Friday so I think he should be around today, so will give him a chance to post his own selection. If not, or if shepp needs to pick now/soon when he comes on to check, then will publish it. So no stress :)

Pick #53 Melbourne - Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (Defender/Midfielder)
Vic Metro/Western Jets/Hoppers Crossing
08.02.1996 Height: 185cm Weight: 80kg
Player Comparison: Plays like Hurn, acts like Mackie

438687-9bfd99a8-070f-11e4-b1cf-7e2d177ab5ea.jpg

This guy not only has the best name of the draft crop this year (excluding Hiscox obvs) but perhaps one of the best kicks. In my objective opinion as Head Demon Overlord, it's far better than Wiggs' kicking ability even, who somehow got taken before this guy. Sounds silly I know.

So yeah, DVR is a brilliant kick and his game is pretty much based on it and you'll be seeing a lot of 60m beauts from this guy. Playing that half-back/wing role he's a very outside player who doesn't really win a lot of his own ball. There's a lot to work on getting him up to the AFL standard, especially winning his own ball but is devastating with it in his hand, and there's knocks defensively with pressuring and tackling etc, but he's got an ok fitness base that should serve him well and all the football tools to succeed so he's a great pick in the middle of the third round.
I was hoping he'd slide through to 68 :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick #54-Fremantle-Daniel Capiron
Height: 189cm Weight: 81kg D.O.B: 14/6/1996
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays

Originally I thought about pulling the gun with an extremely talented but raw midfielder, but I think he can slide through and I'm praying he does (not gonna say who, obviously).

At Fremantle, the key backs aren't particularly...young. Dawson, Johnson and McPharlin are all around the twilight age (Dawson still probably has 4-5 years) and while Silvagni is a replacement for one they need another.

Daniel Capiron is extremely raw-he's averaged 16.2 disposals at 81 percent efficiency down back and also averages 5 marks. He's an extremely good overhead mark, his disposal under pressure situations is considered elite and he can kick both on left and right. The problem is his body-he plays as a key defender, he doesn't really have amazing speed to be a tall rebound player (e.g. Birch and Liquor) but at AFL level 81kg at a height under the 190 range is going to make the likes of Cloke and Hawkins rag-doll him. I'd compare him to a skinny Josh Gibson-and before Gibbo came to Hawthorn he did have trouble on forwards taller than him.

Given a few years to develop, Capiron could become key to Fremantles attack off of half back as he would replace Johnson in that role. His overhead marking is an extremely positive attribute as if he bulks up he could compete with the "guerilla" forwards as well as provide damaging kick ins to set up play. However, I wouldn't even consider playing Capiron in his first year bar injury. While talented, teams would exploit his weaknesses and lead to his confidence being crushed. As I've said, when the time comes for Johnson (in particular) to retire he should be ready to fill the gap.

#35 - Adelaide: Damien Cavka
Position: Outside Midfielder
Height: 184cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 03/07/1996
From the Calder Cannons
Style: Andrew Gaff

A strong endurance base will see him run out games on the wing. Knows how to find the ball on the outside and can push forward for a goal. Runs both ways and tends to rack up tackles. Disposal is average and will need a little work. Adelaide have chosen him to push for a spot on the wing as they feel they are a little light in that area and to create pressure for spots for Brodie Martin and Mitch Grigg.

#49 - Adelaide: Josh Glenn
Position: Midfielder/Defender
Height: 179cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 10/03/1994
From the Central Districts
Style: Taylor Duryea

Mature age with a great kick, versatility and the ability to find the goals makes him one of the most complete players in the draft. Strong form at SANFL level will see him picked up by Adelaide to add immediate depth to their squad and from there he will hopefully find a spot in the side for the long term as either a rebounding/small defender or an outside midfielder.

Pick 55: Geelong - Daniel Howe

Height: 191cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 04/12/1995
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Profile: utility

afl.com.au draft machine said:
Mobile tall defender with strong overhead marking ability. Takes the game on and shows initiative. Impressed as a 19-year-old in four matches for Vic Country in NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 17 disposals, four marks, two tackles and two clearances at 76 per cent efficiency. Played 11 games in the TAC Cup, averaging 19 touches. Was equal-second in kicking test (28/30) at NAB AFL Draft Combine.

Last edited:
Pick 56: North Melbourne – Ryan Lim

Position: Defender
Height: 186 cm, Weight: 75 kg, DOB: 20/03/1996
Club: Claremont
Projected draft range: 50-rookie
Player comparison: Brent Guerra

With a stunning kick, Ryan Lim is ideally suited to a half-back role. He penetrates the game with precision, but is equally tough inside and strong overhead. Defensively speaking, he’s accountable, loves the ground ball stuff, and in particular is a strong tackler, averaging 2.8 per game for WA. Lim also averaged three marks per game, which is a key feature of his skill set. The AFL-AIS graduate is also crafty and neat around half forward, where he’s known to make an impact on the scoreboard. He showed plenty last year as a bottom-age prospect, averaging 20 disposals, 6.5 marks, two tackles and almost one goal per game as a half forward/midfielder in the Colts. However, this year has seen him take his game to another level, averaging 25 disposals, 6.4 marks and three tackles in the same league: meanwhile, he averages 17 disposals and 4.5 marks in the reserves this season. In a nutshell, he takes risks coming out of defence and has the vision to pull it off, and he won’t hesitate around a hard ball either.

Pick 57 - Waylon Manson (Port Adelaide)

Position - Anywhere.....mainly forward with time in the ruck
Height: 193cm
Weight: 82kg

With Port Adelaide having very few weaknesses in their side, I think Waylon would be the perfect fit. Michael Voss is there ; Darren Burgess is there & Johan Wagner is there, three people he knows very well , especially Vossy.

Simply , Manson has X factor.......extremely rare but so unpredictable.
Can be Ablett Snr one moment and a basic surburban footballer the next moment ?!

Can kick multiple goals in no time , can kick them from anywhere.
Seems to float into the air and take a speckie with what looks like very little effort.
Has an amazing leap on him & great hands to match.

There is a query on his fitness (endurance) and also the 'go home' factor.
But I think Waylon could thrive in an AFL environment and think the upside outways the negatives.

Welcome Waylon 'The Human Highlight Reel' Manson

bumsonseats you're up next

Pick 58: Sydney – Josh McGuinness

Position: Rebounding Defender
Height: 189cm.
Weight: 70kg
DOB: 20/9/1995

A composed, high production rebounding defender who averaged 20 disposals in his 4 games for Tasmania, McGuinness was also a standout in the National Championships. His performances saw him come away with All-Austalian honours at half-back, having averaged 26 disposals and 5 marks per game for Tasmania in division two. The classy tall who has a penetrating kick and rates elite in term of his marking and rebound has a habit of being a play-maker off half-back. He sets off chains of possessions with his quick ball movement as well as his run and carry. Initially overlooked last year, he's developed strongly in 2014 Snd looms as a really good value pick mid to late draft.

Courtesy: Paige

Reason: after taking a KPD with pick 37, was looking for a rebounding defender with this pick. See this as a need with Malceski departing, and Shaw nearing the end. Had a look at Jackson Nelson at 37, but couldn't overlook Ramsay at that point, so had to settle for a rebounding defender for 57.
Whilst I have never seen any of these kids play, and like most am relying on the write-up's on the phantom drafts pages, what attracts me to this kid is the penetrating kick, percieved marking ability and creativity off half-back. I would like to see him put a bit of weight on, especially since he is an over-ager.

Last edited:
Getting into the speculative picks now. Love it.

Just making sure too, people are happy to still go to the fifth round? We've slowed down a bit but still going at a good rate, so about a week left if doing all five.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back