Competitions 2014 Hawk Board Phantom Draft (Complete)

Remove this Banner Ad

sorry to hear about your car and everything bumsonseats :(

Sean McLaren it is i guess, Gunstall555 you're up
To keep the ball rolling pick 68 Ed Langdon - write up to come tomorrow.

Pick 69 - James ROSE (WCE)
Position: Forward
Height: 186 cm
Weight: 78 kgs
Club: Sturt

Stolen from Paige Cardona :-
One of the most exciting development prospects in this year’s draft and a player who is grossly underrated, James Rose has an explosive natural leap and outstanding hands overhead. The medium forward cuts dangerous leads, beats his opponent with his smart leading patterns and isn’t afraid to get in his opponent’s face. Despite his rangy frame, Rose is an aggressive and combative type who relishes the physical aspect of his position: more importantly, he is a difficult player to match up on, such is his agility and his versatility to play small or tall. Rose has a thumping kick and bagged 30 goals from nine games in 2013. This year saw him really improve his endurance capabilities, which has allowed for him to play a higher role, winning more of the ball.

AFL Website :-
ROSE-James.jpg

Player bio 2014 U18 Stats
Height: 186cm Goals: 4
Weight: 78kg Avg Kicks: 6.4
Pos: Forward Avg Marks: 4
Avg H'balls: 4.2
The inside word
Powerful medium forward with excellent hands and outstanding natural leap. Good on the lead, a penetrating kick and loves physical side of the game. Averaged 11 touches in five games during NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Registered 73cm in the standing vertical jump and 87cm in the running vertical jump at NAB AFL Draft Combine.

Pick 68: Hawthorn - Ed Langdon

Position:
Medium Forward / Midfield
Height: 182cm
Weight: 72 kg
DOB: 02/01/1996
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Player style: Luke Breust

The brother of Collingwood's Tom, Ed's national championships were cut short due to injury, however the medium forward was still able to average 11.3 touches, 2.3 goals and 4 tackles in his 3 games.

Where Ed really shone through however was at the national AFL draft combine. Ed finished 5th in the beep test (15.3), 7th in the 20m sprint (2.92 seconds) & 5th in the repeat sprints (24.06 seconds just .13 of first place).

Most kids this late in the draft are hit and miss, but when you watch his explosive acceleration, combined with elite endurance and excellent defensive pressure in the below video, you like myself will have no doubt this kid will make the grade.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-20/draft-prospect-ed-langdon

Some tall timber been taken lately! Think Sean McLaren is the pick of them. Can play in the ruck and hold down a defensive role. Some good picks now and people are searching for them! :)

Pick 72-Fremantle-Matthew Goodyear
Height: 185cm Weight: 77kg D.O.B: 20/7/1996
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Position: Versatile Midfielder

I had prayed to god that Nathan Drummond slipped down to this pick. But when he was taken, I had to sniff around a bit and found this gem of a midfielder.

Super consistent player. He only got to play 15 games for the Cannons due to working on weaknesses in his game, but in these games he averaged 21.3 disposals and was featured in the best players 10 times out of 15. His strengths are ball winning on both inside and outside, endurance (he never stops influencing the contest), speed (especially in bursts), tackling and his consistency.

I quote: "What you’ll get with Goodyear is a versatile, elite handballing, ball winning midfielder with the ability to play both inside and outside, and with the ability to provide bursts of speed for four quarters of football."

His hand-balling skills are akin to our own Sammy Mitchell. 80 percent disposal efficiency from 150 handballs. He only played three games for Vic Metro because of injury: in his first game he averaged 23 disposals, nine contested possessions, seven inside 50's and five clearances. He was second only to Angus Brayshaw. Due to injury, he was only able to average 12.3 disposals over his three games but he showed glimpses of talent, and keep in mind he wasn't 100 percent fit.

Unfortunately, there's a drawback. A very large drawback. Out of 170 kicks in the TAC Cup, he ran at 47 percent efficiency by foot. In his three Vic Metro games: 57, 50 and 63 percent respectively. He has highlighted this as a large weaknesses of his, and has been sacrificing game time in favour of improving his weaknesses. Yes, he actual chose not to play and was not simply "dropped" because he wanted to improve.

His speed, endurance and ability to play outside and inside were also his weaknesses. Now they have become his strengths. This ability to work on deficiencies, coupled with extreme talent, means that if Goodyear can overcome his kicking efficiency problem he could be as good as a first round pick (in my opinion). At a fourth round pick, Fremantle will jump at the ability to take a prospect who could slot into their midfield extremely well.

I know I'm for Fremantle, but I want this guy at Hawthorn. Among our elite kickers, he could probably learn to overcome his kicking fairly quickly and the talent he has-at perhaps even a rookie pick-would see him become a gem in the rough a.l.a James Hird without the happy pills.
image.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, just saw it's my pick. I thought I was done... I'll do some research quickly and select soon.
Sorry forgot to tag when I changed the OP. One more round to go too after this if you're still around. On track to finish on Sunday at this stage.

Pick 73: Geelong - Jordan Cunico
CUNICO-Jordan.jpg

Height: 184cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 07/05/1996
Recruited from: Gippsland Power
Profile: Outside runner.

Emma Quayle said:
Medium Midfielder with exciting burst of speed and can run all day. Strong overhead for his size and consistent ball winner in championships where he read the play very well, particularly at stoppages. Averaged 15.6 disposals at 74% efficiency playing for Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

AFL Draft Machine said:
Medium midfielder with speed and endurance. Strong overhead for his size and consistent ball-winner in NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 16 touches and six marks at 74 per cent efficiency in five appearances. Played 12 games in the TAC Cup, averaging 23 possessions and one goal. Finished equal-seventh in the beep test (14.12) at NAB AFL Draft Combine.

Damn, good pick. A real slider. Almost picked him in the third. Was wondering if he was going to last.

You're up SodaPop

Last edited:
Give him to 2pm then, if he hasn't shown up, will pick from a phantom.

At this rate, might nerf the 5th round? May have been over-ambitious wanting to do more as it seems we are stalling a bit now. Late notice though, so if people still want to pick a player as "last pick" then that could be a compromise?

Open to suggestions.

"from Paiges Phantom Draft"

#74 - North Melbourne - Tom Wilkinson

Position: Midfielder/forward
Height: 182 cm, Weight: 78 kg, DOG: 07/03/1996
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 50 – rookie
Plays like: Andrew Gaff

A high-volume accumulator who knows where the goals are, Tom Wilkinson is a hard-running midfielder whose beep test earlier in the year returned a score of 16.8. A former champion triple-jumper and 1500m runner, Wilkinson has athleticism in spades. Really announcing himself with two best afield games during the Sandringham’s finals campaign, he notably won 30 possessions, six inside 50s, seven marks and six clearances for Vic Metro earlier in the year against WA during the National Championships. He has been named in the best six out of a possible seven TAC Cup games this season in one of the TAC Cup’s most impressive midfields, boasting the likes of Angus Brayshaw and Brayden Maynard. He has averaged 24 disposals, 4.8 marks and 3.2 tackles per game, whilst he has hit the scoreboard on 12 occasions. He’s flown heavily under the radar because he’s vanilla in comparison to others, but he looms as a real value selection later in the National Draft: he’s one player I really am quite bullish about.

next up hfc70

Pick 75 - Matt PANOS
Position : Midfield / Forward
Height : 190cm
Weight : 90kg
Club : Norwood

For Ports 2nd pick I have gone for another mature age player in Panos. Having spent time on the Western Bulldogs list, Panos has played his football at SA club Norwood. Panos has recently moved into the midfield and added another dimension to his game.
At 190cm (6ft 3inc) he is a tall midfielder but has fulfilled the role very well. Arguably the best player in SANFL Grand Final against Port Adelaide with 28 possessions ; 12 clearances & kicking a goal. Will add much needed depth to Ports list as it embarks on a tilt at the 2015 AFL Grand Final.

At this rate, might nerf the 5th round? May have been over-ambitious wanting to do more as it seems we are stalling a bit now. Late notice though, so if people still want to pick a player as "last pick" then that could be a compromise?

Open to suggestions.

Probably just continue so those that want to can select a draftee, but if you dont want to select another player just say "pass", and will take it as a rookie upgrade. Easiest way to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back