Competitions 2014 Hawk Board Phantom Draft (Complete)

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we meant to draft based on what our given team needs or are we picking who we think is the best available?

There are a number of approaches, dependingbon the club and what pick in the draft, hawthorn have stated that we will go best available with our first couple of picks, then draft based on needs with our later picks.
Needs could be picking a ready made player that can play from round 1 if you were at the lower end of the ladder, or recruiting for future need if you are looking to build for the future to replace an aging player for example ie Hawthorn might recruit a KPD with a later pick to provide extra coverage for the pending retirement of Lake.

i'll send PM's to all the people who havn't answered in this thread reminding them of the Phantom Draft and which teams they have.........

i guess if he doesn't come on by tomorrow morning we will put Christian Petracca as Pick 1 from the saints......
I did send him a message at four today, may not have read it yet. Everyone should have got a notification when I tagged them in the who got what thread too.

I should be around in morning, I have my shortlist all ready, if we need to auto pick, so be it.

Sorry for the wait got bogged down a bit. Hopefully it's smooth sailing now.

Saint Kilda Pick #1. Christian Petracca. Height:186cm, Weight: 92kg.

Reasons behind the pick?

• Tree trunk legs that make Ollie Wines jealous. Would probably have Shem sweating (ok I exaggerate)
  • Phenomenal Athlete. Definition of a powerful midfielder
  • Ready for round 1.
  • Highest ceiling of any other draft pick IMO.
  • Can actually kick the bloody thing unlike a lot of other athletes
  • A+ Contested marking.
  • Dominant at TAC level and championships
If he can work on his tank to become the tank he could be anything. Sky high potential which is probably the reason why he is the consensus #1 pick and has been for some time. Can see him spending some minutes up forward for Saint Kilda from round 1 with some rotation in the midfield. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders from interviews so don't expect any dwarf torchings any time soon.

Could be anything from a Dustin Martin not quite key forward not quite midfielder to a Dane Swan bursting through with no one able to bring him down (minus the dinky 20 meter kicks).

If I was a recruiter I would probably be fired on the spot if I chose anybody else.

Don't let me down Chris. Leave the manchild behind and become the man.

HawkintheTuarts your turn.

Last edited:
Geez, didn't get an alert for this. Also don't trust BF draft function! Here we go:

Pick #2
Melbourne - Angus Brayshaw (Midfielder)
Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons
9.1.1996 Height: 187cm Weight: 86kg
Player Comparison: Sam Mitchell

Petracca is the most exciting mid but Brayshaw would have to be the most complete. You don't want this guy playing anywhere else but in the middle. He has all the making of a champ midfielder. Can use the ball effectively on either side, like Sammy, except also with the bonus of being a bit quicker. Brilliant at stoppages and very smart, his work ethic is superb. Excellent leadership skills and maturity already shown, which is something Melbourne desperately need, without hopefully the corrupting power of past Demon sides. Should be ready to play round 1 too.

Last edited:
Pick #3 Melbourne - Patrick McCartin (Key Forward)
Vic Country/Geelong Falcons/St Joseph’s FC
19.10.1996 Height: 193cm Weight: 84kg
Player Comparison: Brendan Fevola without the 'personality'

In a draft talked up about it's number of top talls, it's McCartin that is the best of them, and is an easy decision at number three, as once he develops he'll be a mainstay next to Hogan and they should cause plenty of defences headaches. He's got a good, strong contested mark on him but it's his almost reckless ability to charge into a pack that stands out, which belies his size. It's not just overhead either, he can grab the ball of the ground or mark it down low, making him even tougher for opposition to match up on. His goal kicking is good without being spectacular too, but has all the makings of a top forward in the league.

You're up calumhfc

Last edited:
Geez, didn't get an alert for this. Also don't trust BF draft function! Here we go:

Pick #2
Melbourne - Angus Brayshaw (Midfielder)
Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons
9.1.1996 Height: 187cm Weight: 86kg
Player Comparison: Sam Mitchell

Petracca is the most exciting mid but Brayshaw would have to be the most complete. You don't want this guy playing anywhere else but in the middle. He has all the making of a champ midfielder. Can use the ball effectively on either side, like Sammy, except also with the bonus of being a bit quicker. Brilliant at stoppages and very smart, his work ethic is superb. Excellent leadership skills and maturity already shown, which is something Melbourne desperately need, without hopefully the corrupting power of past Demon sides. Should be ready to play round 1 too.

Alerts don't work if you quote them, I believe.

People can also have alerts turned off.

Sorry, was talking generally. I've been having alerts and conversation alerts drop out recently though. I suggest people subscribe to the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#4 GWS – Peter Wright (VIC - KPF/Ruck)
Height: 203cm, Weight: 102kg, DOB: 08/09/1996
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Range: 1-7
Profile: Dominant key forward/ruckman.

With Tom Boyd and Jonathon Giles leaving and Patton doing his ACL, GWS need another key foward/ruck.
Enter Peter Wright, at 203cm and 102kg the mans a monster easily capable of playing centre half foward or ruck.
Wright has great endurance for a man his size and will take some of the weight of mum fords shoulders as that second ruck and is a natural replacement for Tom Boyd. He also has great foot skills, ruck tap work and great marking ability. Expect him and Jeremy Cameron to be a dynamic duo for years to come

You're up MadDawg

Cheers for that calumhfc, another glut of picks coming up soon for GWS too.

Right now though, it's MadDawg time with the Maggies!

Pick 5: Collingwood – Jayden Laverde

Position: Midfielder
Height: 190 cm, Weight: 82 kg, DOB: 12/04/1996
Club: Western Jets
Plays like: Steven Johnson

Collingwood take the player with the most x-factor in the draft, this guy has more dance moves than Justin Timberlake. Thanks to the father-son selection of Darcy Moore taking care of our biggest need of another KP forward we can look to bolster other areas of the ground. Laverde can play multiple positions including HB, Wing, HF and midfield. He brings line breaking ability and could start his career filling the princely hole left by Lumumba on half-back and the wing before maturing into a tall midfielder. He is the perfect modern day footballer with height, athleticism, pace, raking kick, good above his head and can kick goals when thrown forward. The potential and excitement Laverde brings to Collingwood is too good to pass up here.

back to you for a next couple of picks calumhfc

Last edited:
#6 GWS (via Western Bulldogs) – Jake Lever (VIC –KPD)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 05/03/1996
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Range: 2-15
Profile: Key defender who will go early despite missing 2014 through injury.

Even though Jake missed the entire 2014 season due to injury if his 2013 season is anything to go off he will be a star none the less. At 192cm I would consider making him the 3rd tall but he is more than capable of playing CHB. Lever has the ability to read the flight of the ball very well making him very good at interceptions and starting a counter attack. Lever is a future captain and has already showed his leadership skills when he captained vic metro in 2013 as an underager which isn't seen very often. Lever has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the afl and I guaranty would have been a top 3 pick if he had of played this season. Lever is a natural replacement for Sam frost but will have show his competiveness to get ahead of the likes of Plowman and Corr

#7 GWS (via Carlton) – Jarrod Pickett (WA – Mid/Def)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 18/08/1996
Recruited from: South Fremantle
Range: 5-15
Profile: Electric outside linebreaker.

This may come as a surprise for some people but I never even considered taking anyone else with pick 7. Pickett has some serious speeds and will instantly becomes a fan favourite at GWS, he prefers to play as an outside midfielder but I believe in his early years will play more of a small forward role. With Devon smith as their only Good small forward Pickett will be able to take some of the pressure off him. Even when playing as a midfielder Pickett ha shown his ability to hit the scoreboard so that won't be a problem for him. His speed and linebreaking ability makes him incredibly hard to tackle and allows him to kick goals and set up goal scoring opportunities. Pickett also has senior wafl experience which has helped his development. I expect Pickett to debut early next year possibly round 1 and will be an incredible pick up for GWS who are crying out for a second small forward

You're up Cyril_Grip

Pick 5: Collingwood – Jayden Laverde

Position: Midfielder
Height: 190 cm, Weight: 82 kg, DOB: 12/04/1996
Club: Western Jets
Plays like: Steven Johnson

Collingwood take the player with the most x-factor in the draft, this guy has more dance moves than Justin Timberlake. Thanks to the father-son selection of Darcy Moore taking care of our biggest need of another KP forward we can look to bolster other areas of the ground. Laverde can play multiple positions including HB, Wing, HF and midfield. He brings line breaking ability and could start his career filling the princely hole left by Lumumba on half-back and the wing before maturing into a tall midfielder. He is the perfect modern day footballer with height, athleticism, pace, raking kick, good above his head and can kick goals when thrown forward. The potential and excitement Laverde brings to Collingwood is too good to pass up here.

back to you for a next couple of picks calumhfc

I was very close to taking laverde with pick 4 and hope you passed on Peter wright and I could still take him at pick 6. My question is who would you have taken at pick 5 if I took laverde

#7 GWS (via Carlton) – Jarrod Pickett (WA – Mid/Def)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 18/08/1996
Recruited from: South Fremantle
Profile: Electric outside linebreaker.

This may come as a surprise for some people but I never even considered taking anyone else with pick 7. Pickett has some serious speeds and will instantly becomes a fan favourite at GWS, he prefers to play as an outside midfielder but I believe in his early years will play more of a small forward role. With Devon smith as their only Good small forward Pickett will be able to take some of the pressure off him. Even when playing as a midfielder Pickett ha shown his ability to hit the scoreboard so that won't be a problem for him. His speed and linebreaking ability makes him incredibly hard to tackle and allows him to kick goals and set up goal scoring opportunities. Pickett also has senior wafl experience which has helped his development. I expect Pickett to debut early next year possibly round 1 and will be an incredible pick up for GWS who are crying out for a second small forward

You're up Cyril_Grip
Dam....!!!

Had considered Laverde and Pickett at this pick, but best fit/best available for GC is...

Pick #8

-- Lachie Weller -- (QLD – Mid/Def)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 23/02/199

Recruited from: Broadbeach

Profile: Clean, linebreaking midfielder/HBF. Good decision maker.

Younger brother of former Sun Maverick (now at Saints). Has been based up on the GC for a few years now after moving up when his brother was drafted. Had a solid championships this year, picking up plenty of the ball and also played well in the NEAFL in his XX games. Played for the Allies in the All Stars game before the AFL GF this year, with an injury (bone bruising) suffered in that game preventing him from testing at the combine. Has excellent vision, bringing his teammates into the game with good decision-making and excellent delivery through the middle or half back. Has good clean hands and hit stoppages on the run – very important for him at this stage as he is quite lightly built.

I picked Weller here as his versatility can provide good run through the middle, out of the backline or even across half forward. Has a booming kick and combined with his run and vision this could a real weapon for the Suns.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back