Competitions 2014 Hawk Board Phantom Draft (Complete)

Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
Pick 10: Geelong - Paul Ahern
art-353-ahern.jpg

Height: 181cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 01/08/1996
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Profile: Damaging forward/midfielder.

Chris Scott:We believe Paul is one of the most talented players in the draft and we are delighted that he was available at selection 10. We think he can play forward and in the midfield and is going to be an important member of our team now and in the future. Mission accomplished.

Emma Quayle said:
Smooth-moving midfielder with excellent balance and running capacity. Has an innate ability to make the difficult look easy, is dangerous when he pushes forward and can kick long goals on the run. Has an excellent mix of speed and endurance and can play inside or outside. Selected in the NAB AFL Under-18 All-Australian team

afl.com.au said:
Ahern put his hand up for the Calder Cannons in their Grand Final defeat, collecting 26 disposals and kicking a goal. Ahern glides through the midfield, going quicker than he sometimes looks, and then delivers with ease as well – his kicks telling teammates where to lead, and not the other way around. Has to close the gap between his outstanding games and the others, but has the pace and class to be a really good player who sets things up.

You are up hfc70

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
damn you guys are taking all the high-end talent, leave some for me :(

Chris Scott:We believe Paul is one of the most talented players in the draft and we are delighted that he was available at selection 10. We think he can play forward and in the midfield and is going to be an important member of our team now and in the future. Mission accomplished.

LMAO :D

well the top 10 picks are done and i couldn't think of anyone that would displace any of these top 10 players, now for the interviews, bring them up on stage and give them a round of applause and present them with their gerseys..............

Last edited:

HawkintheTuarts

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Flyers
Congrats guys, some excellent choices made already. If MadDawg wishes to do a profile on Moore, he can. Same for all F/S and Academy picks coming up.

Must say, it looks like West Coast's worst nightmare for a top ten. All the players they'd have an eye on (Laverde, Pickett, Weller, Ahern) all off the table. Tough job, hfc70 ! :D

hfc70

Premiership Player
Mar 9, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pick 11 - Sam DURDIN

Position: Key Positon Defender (Can Ruck & push forward if needed)
Height: 197 cm, Weight: 89 kg
Club: West Adelaide

Losing Cox & Glass this season, we are in need of a 'Key Position Player' and with that in mind I have gone with Durdin, although he will need time.
Durdin will partner extremely well with Erin McKenzie for years to come. He needs lots of time in the gym to build on his 89kg frame but in an AFL environment that shouldn't take too long.

"You can put on weight but height is what your DNA effectively gives you."

At 197cm , he has the perfect height to build on for a key position prospect. For someone so tall , his foot skills are very good. He can take a decent grab although his timing is sometimes found wanting, but that will come in time. Has good speed for a tall guy which on the larger Subiaco Oval will be an asset.

#12 Richmond - Connor Menadue (VIC – Mid/Def)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 69kg, DOB: 19/09/1996
Recruited from: Western Jets
Range: 15-35
Profile: Explosive type with versatility.
They need a line breaker and they dont come much better than this kid .
3k ...10.07
20m ....2.88
Repeat sprints ....24.14
But not only ( as the above displays ) is he an amazing athletic package ....hes also a very good user of the footy , an area the Tigers need real work in .
Will be a project as his body has a long way to go but with time the frame is there to fill out .
A better user but very similar type to Gary Rohan .
ConnorMenadue.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
#13: Fremantle-Hugh Goddard
Position: Tall Forward/Defender
Height: 195cm. Weight: 92kg. Date of Birth: 24/8/96
Recruited From: Geelong Falcons/VIC County

Originally predicted to perhaps even be the No. 1 Pick this year, Goddard's value has fallen because he has not dominated games like other big forwards such as McCartin or even Durdin have. However, unlike the two he has also been played in the back line that may have attributed to his inconsistency.

We (Fremantle) need a tall "power-house" forward to replace Pavlich, who is 32, and after the failed Scott Gumbleton experiment coupled with a lack of trading the only way to obtain the power-house would be through the draft.

Goddard's most apt comparison is probably Sam Day, and athletic and flexible tall forward who can kick goals or play down back if required. However, articles have quoted him amongst types such as Franklin. "His greatest asset is his athleticism..."One impressive element he has in his arsenal is his booming kick that can see him roost goals from outside 50 metres".

Ideally Fremantle would have preferred Sam Durdin, who would have taken longer to develop and perhaps yielded more results, but if Goddard can land a stable spot up forward with support from Taberner he could be the next KPF for Fremantle.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
You know, when times comes for the actual draft, I wonder if we'll regret trading our first round pick. Some of these kids seem super talented, even around the late 20's range

They all sound like superstars this time of year. Most of them don't live up to their pre-draft hype. We wouldn't have traded our first rounder if Wright wasn't confident that O'Rourke will be better than who we might've got.

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They all sound like superstars this time of year. Most of them don't live up to their pre-draft hype. We wouldn't have traded our first rounder if Wright wasn't confident that O'Rourke will be better than who we might've got.

Oh yeah, I just remembered Richard Tambling. Also, O'Rourke averaged 25.3 possessions in 10 NEAFL games. Looks promising.

Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
top 20's usually have around a 70% chance to be 100+ game players, i did a statistic page before last yrs draft, so only 30% of top 20's drop out approx......

I was talking more generally in the draft they all have great write ups (even the kids who go 3rd/4th round) and sound like superstars and most of them don't live up to the hype, but interesting stat nonetheless.

I'm sure we would've got a good player at pick 19, but I'm very happy with JOR.

HawkintheTuarts

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Flyers
top 20's usually have around a 70% chance to be 100+ game players, i did a statistic page before last yrs draft, so only 30% of top 20's drop out approx......
Are you mixing up 100 with 50 games? From 1997 onwards I get 72% of top 20 picks get to 50 games and 48% get to 100.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Are you mixing up 100 with 50 games? From 1997 onwards I get 72% of top 20 picks get to 50 games and 48% get to 100.

i made this thread last year, it was about how effective draft picks are from 2000-2009 and people expanded upon the idea, if you wish to read through it

it might have been who in my view made it rather than 100 games per say, but i believe they all played 100 games or so

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...ft-pick-from-2000-2009.1038144/#post-30680544

HawkintheTuarts

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Flyers
I was talking more generally in the draft they all have great write ups (even the kids who go 3rd/4th round) and sound like superstars and most of them don't live up to the hype, but interesting stat nonetheless.

I'm sure we would've got a good player at pick 19, but I'm very happy with JOR.
I think the draft watchers are pretty good at tempering expectations when it comes to those lower down the order. I think though that in general draft profiles are more optimistic than not because you're writing a reason as to why this person should get drafted, what he does well etc which is all positive to begin with.

At the moment there looks like 5 players that could stand out in the draft, another 10-15 that have the making of being very good players and about 20-30 players that ared ecent depth. Ok, but not overly strong draft crop.

HawkintheTuarts

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Flyers
i made this thread last year, it was about how effective draft picks are from 2000-2009 and people expanded upon the idea, if you wish to read through it

it might have been who in my view made it rather than 100 games per say, but i believe they all played 100 games or so

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...ft-pick-from-2000-2009.1038144/#post-30680544
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-history-of-pickflation.638451/page-4#post-35378582

That's for the whole national draft, there's another graph a few posts above that one too about average games per draft pick

MadDawg

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2006
Counting cups
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The greatest team of all!
Congrats guys, some excellent choices made already. If MadDawg wishes to do a profile on Moore, he can. Same for all F/S and Academy picks coming up.

OK I will

Pick 9: Collingwood – Darcy Moore (father son)

Position:Key forward/defender
Height: 199cm, Weight: 93kg, DOB: 25/01/1996
Club: Oakleigh Charges
Player comparison: Jarryd Roughead and Lance Franklin's love child

Yes that’s right, if Buddy and Roughy had a secret tryst on a lonely interstate trip, then Darcy Moore is the likely result with his style of play. He has the height and athleticism of Buddy, with that ability to scoop the ball off the deck and burn away from his defender which belies his size. He also has the footy smarts and marking ability like the Big Rough which also allows him to be a play as a defender and pinch hit around the ground as a ruckman/midfielder. Lacks a little consistency at times but a steal at pick 9 as he has top 5 talent in this draft, and should complete the all father son, KP forward line for the Mighty Pies!

Oh yeah and he can take hangers like this:

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Back