Competitions 2014 Hawk Board Phantom Draft (Complete)

Remove this Banner Ad

#14 - Adelaide: Caleb Marchbank
Position: Key Position Defender
Height: 193cm Weight: 85kg DOB: 12/07/1996
From the Murray Bushrangers
Style: Brian Lake

A smart footballer who reads the high ball well and possesses the ability to outmark his direct oppenent. Competent by foot with good decision making and a versatile player who has the potential to be played around the ground and up forward. Adelaide have chosen him on the back of losing Rutten and hope that he can form a solid trio in defence with the All-Australian Daniel Talia and the developing Kyle Hartigan.

its been a busy day, 14 picks, i'm guessing that deeper into the draft it might slow up a bit as we go from easy picks to more difficult choices...........
Don't think we're done yet with Cyril_Grip around ;)

It's been good. Should go through the picks quick enough too, just have to do more research about who is left in those lower rounds :)

Pick #15

-- Kyle Langford -- (VIC – Utility)

Height: 190 cm, Weight: 73 kg, DOB: 01/12/1996

Recruited from: Northern Knights

Range: 15-30

Profile: Versatile tall midfielder-come-utility.

Considered Tom Lamb here among others but the knock on him is consistency – and this bloke shut him down in the 18s Champs! And a little excited by the Langford name!

Has been compared to Bontempelli, but is definitely a more outside player at this point. Would more than likely play in the Suns team on a wing, but can play third tall down back or up forward. Started the year like a train kicking 11 goals in three games, and as previously mentioned shut down Tom Lamb and pushed up the ground to rack up possies. Not a big contested ball player, but is a strong tackler and has a great set of dukes either on the lead or chopping off opposition entries.

I see him as an upgrade on Tom Murphy, as he provides the extra benefits of versatility, run and clean hands.

All yours SodaPop!

SodaPop up tomorrow. Nice drafting guys. No real shock bolters but a few have slid, interesting indeed, fun watching!

is that really low 1 in the mid 30's pick 36? the curse is REAL............

p.s. D.Moore would rival McCartin/Wright if he was live in the draft i reckon, he is a contested marking beast.........

If Moore was available I would have seriously considered him at #1. Need someone to take over Saint Nick.

Pick 16: North Melbourne– Liam Duggan

Position: Defender/midfielder
Height: 183 cm, Weight: 76 kg, DOB: 11/12/1996
Club: Western Jets

I see this kid as the understudy for Boomer. Glad he slid to our pick.

A bubbly character off-field, the ‘baby-faced assassin’ is another draft prospect that is gifted in terms of poise, hurt factor and game-winning attributes. Duggan won the Ben Mitchell medal for this year’s AFL-AIS intake, and has an arsenal of weaponry that far exceeds most in this year’s draft crop. Playing in an array of positions, Duggan offers get-up-and-go from half back, is particularly dangerous around the stoppages, and loves to run and carry with his line-breaking speed. The talented left footer has also shown he’s dangerous and effective around goal, kicking three final-quarter goals against the Northern Knights earlier in the year from just four disposals in a come-from-behind win. Duggan’s penetrating kick is his primary asset, but his ability to read the ball well in the air – along with both good vision and speed – suggests his best position will eventually be situated in the midfield with resting stints at half back. Despite his slim build, Duggan can win his own ball and tackles strongly.

Had a funny feeling this would come down to two particular players.

On the need for forwards and contested ball winners I've decided to go with

Pick 17: Essendon – Jordan De Goey

Position: Midfielder/utility
Height: 187 cm, Weight: 82 kg, DOB: 15/3/1996
Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Projected draft range: 10-20
Plays like: Jack Ziebell

Write up to come

Had a funny feeling this would come down to two particular players.

On the need for forwards and contested ball winners I've decided to go with

Pick 17: Essendon – Jordan De Goey

Position: Midfielder/utility
Height: 187 cm, Weight: 82 kg, DOB: 15/3/1996
Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Projected draft range: 10-20
Plays like: Jack Ziebell

Write up to come

Over to you bumsonseats

Pick 19: Carlton - Nakia Cockatoo

Position: Midfielder
Height: 188cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 23/10/1996
Club: NT Thunder
Projected draft range: 12-35
Plays like: Shaun Burgoyne

Carlton will be sorely tempted to take Tom Lamb at 19, but will instead opt to go with classy midfielder come Utility, Nakia Cockatoo - despite most of his season being cruelled by injury.

On talent - I believe Nakia to be worthy of going inside the top 15, however given his late start to the year he will slide, but I just can't see him sliding for long, as much as I'd like it to be the case. He is an explosive line breaking midfielder, with the ability to win the ball all over the ground. You could describe him as being inside and outside, but I think his football IQ is a little bit higher than that - he has an innate understanding of the various positions all over the field, so is able to execute efficiently wherever and however he is able to get the ball.

He is an elite kick on both sides of his body with a 29/30 score in the kicking test at the combine. He also boasts a 2.90sec 20m sprint and a 23.93sec repeat sprint, placing him 4th and 1st overall at the combine. The most notable public appearance for Nakia for the year, was the Allies game where he kicked two goals, and won best on ground for his display. This, combined with his impressive combine results, reminded recruiters that he was a player to be reckoned with, and was still, in fact, one of the more classy players of this draft class.

Injuries can often cruel the prospects of the most talented players in regards to where they sit in the pecking order. The only thing that will go against Nakia is the fact his 'body of work' to assess for the year isn't as high as those around him, however, I simply cannot see a club passing up the opportunity to bring this kind of quality into an AFL environment.

An AIS-AFL academy member, I have described Nakia as a player who plays like Shaun Burgoyne. While I don't believe Nakia yet boasts the same kind of damaging centre clearance work, his patience and poise all around the ground really reminds me of how Shaun plays the game, particularly in his time at Hawthorn.

Cockatoo would make a really dynamic addition to the Carlton midfield, as they try to build a group that is capable of learning and developing. Nakia's advantage in his layoff - his ceiling, well, as far as his capacity to learn the game - there is none.

Ok that's it. I might do an edit later, as I am rushing a bit at work.

Over to you Oddhawk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 19: Carlton - Nakia Cockatoo

Position: Midfielder
Height: 188cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 23/10/1996
Club: NT Thunder
Projected draft range: 12-35
Plays like: Shaun Burgoyne

Carlton will be sorely tempted to take Tom Lamb at 19, but will instead opt to go with classy midfielder come Utility, Nakia Cockatoo - despite most of his season being cruelled by injury.

On talent - I believe Nakia to be worthy of going inside the top 15, however given his late start to the year he will slide, but I just can't see him sliding for long, as much as I'd like it to be the case. He is an explosive line breaking midfielder, with the ability to win the ball all over the ground. You could describe him as being inside and outside, but I think his football IQ is a little bit higher than that - he has an innate understanding of the various positions all over the field, so is able to execute efficiently wherever and however he is able to get the ball.

He is an elite kick on both sides of his body with a 29/30 score in the kicking test at the combine. He also boasts a 2.90sec 20m sprint and a 23.93sec repeat sprint, placing him 4th and 1st overall at the combine. The most notable public appearance for Nakia for the year, was the Allies game where he kicked two goals, and won best on ground for his display. This, combined with his impressive combine results, reminded recruiters that he was a player to be reckoned with, and was still, in fact, one of the more classy players of this draft class.

Injuries can often cruel the prospects of the most talented players in regards to where they sit in the pecking order. The only thing that will go against Nakia is the fact his 'body of work' to assess for the year isn't as high as those around him, however, I simply cannot see a club passing up the opportunity to bring this kind of quality into an AFL environment.

An AIS-AFL academy member, I have described Nakia as a player who plays like Shaun Burgoyne. While I don't believe Nakia yet boasts the same kind of damaging centre clearance work, his patience and poise all around the ground really reminds me of how Shaun plays the game, particularly in his time at Hawthorn.

Cockatoo would make a really dynamic addition to the Carlton midfield, as they try to build a group that is capable of learning and developing. Nakia's advantage in his layoff - his ceiling, well, as far as his capacity to learn the game - there is none.

Ok that's it. I might do an edit later, as I am rushing a bit at work.

Over to you Oddhawk
Nearly pulled the trigger on Pick 11 for this kid. Could be a real bolter come draft day IMO

Starting to look like there are going to be a decent slider or 2 for me at 17!!

1 thing i have noticed is there is a deeper talent pool this year, compared to last year, 2013 there was a clear top 30-odd, this year there seems to be a clear top 50-odd, until we get to the hail-mary picks (the full on potential kids)............

your pick btw :p

I think Duggan slid and Cockatoo bolted - he's only ranked 25-30. That Allies games was literally the only game most had a chance to see him in. There's always one :p

Everyone sees something different, bases decisions on different things, doesn't bother me.

Interestingly - some people think Nakia is prone to the odd long bomb, and actually lacks patience (one comment was even lacked awareness). For mine, I go - I literally have never seen that. I have seen a young player do young things and make young decisions, sure, but by and large i have thought he has shown poise and patience, otherwise i don't know how you become so adept at adapting to changing positions. Players make mistakes, and Nakia is far from perfect, but some of the glaringly obvious comments about him - where people critique the mistake as an issue, fails to recognise what one of his inherent strengths are- and that is his preparedness to try something, or to do something that other players won't do. He understands something more about what needs to happen in a game. It won't always come off, but it could be developed and turned into something great playing at a higher level. I also happen to know players who have played with him at junior level who rate him very highly, the same people who rate Jed Anderson as an absolute gun.

Everyone sees something different, bases decisions on different things, doesn't bother me.

Interestingly - some people think Nakia is prone to the odd long bomb, and actually lacks patience (one comment was even lacked awareness). For mine, I go - I literally have never seen that. I have seen a young player do young things and make young decisions, sure, but by and large i have thought he has shown poise and patience, otherwise i don't know how you become so adept at adapting to changing positions. Players make mistakes, and Nakia is far from perfect, but some of the glaringly obvious comments about him - where people critique the mistake as an issue, fails to recognise what one of his inherent strengths are- and that is his preparedness to try something, or to do something that other players won't do. He understands something more about what needs to happen in a game. It won't always come off, but it could be developed and turned into something great playing at a higher level. I also happen to know players who have played with him at junior level who rate him very highly, the same people who rate Jed Anderson as an absolute gun.

from the small sample i've seen him, he looks like he belongs in the AFL........ whether he goes top 10 or 30 doesnt really matter

Comes down to two again for me. Address the ruck issue and add another tall or best available who just happens to have pace to burn and class....

Easy really

Pick 20 Essendon – Brayden Maynard

Position: Midfielder/forward
Height: 186 cm, Weight: 88 kg, DOB: 20/09/1996
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 15-30
Plays like: Ryan O’Keefe

Again I'll need to do the write up later, but I'm out now until pick 60 ish sooooo

Over to SSSSSS

If someone could let me in on how to tag too.... That'd be great.

Pick #21 Jarrod Garlett Height: 177cm, Weight: 72kg. WA

Reasons for picking him

• Absolute smashed the combine. Speed + endurance are big ticks.
  • Great work rate. Nothing like his cousin. Chases + tackles
  • Dual sided is always a plus. Pretty good kick by all accounts and rarely fumbles.
  • Loves a goal.
  • With his skill set he could probably play anywhere.
  • Has got some tricks to get out of sticky situations.

We've all heard the stories of how keen Saint Kilda were on Hartung. This bloke is pretty similar in terms of his ridiculous speed, endurance and (generally) classy disposal. However he has the same problems Billy had namely his size (177cm), question over his strength (not so much his intent) and has a very light frame. These questions really stick out when he was matched against bigger blokes in the WAFL level. I don't think he has much of inside game and doubt he will ever be that sort of player however he more than makes up for it with his use of the ball and his athleticism.

Plus who needs inside when you got Dunstan bulldozing his way through?

Upside is considerable given his athletic qualities and skillset. Don't think he will make any early impact in his first year but who knows in a couple years time he could be the Saint's Bradley Hill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back