Injury 2014 injury news and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to be the bearer or bad news but infections are funny things, could take an indefinite amount of time to get right. Personally I get the feeling he will struggle to make it back, which is ******* devastating, but if there is a club that can get him right a la malceski, it's the swans.

I'm a little bit worried about that as I remember they gave him time off before the latest reco to give the knee a chance to settle down, the fact that he hasn't been able to shake off the infection is concerning, but I think he can still make it back.

I'm not sure if there are any medical people on this board but from what I understand having read a bit of info on the ACL operation - I had my right knee operatd on just twelve months ago so I was naturally curious - the reasons the infection has been so persistent are possibly:

- the joint in which the infection is located is occupied by fluid that has a very low level of immune defence (as I understand it all joints are that way), and/or

- because the ACL graft has been taken either from elsewhere in the body or, in the case of LARS, is synthetic it does not have natural blood supply with antibodies to fight an infection or foreign agent

Can anyone shed some more light on that?

Sorry for intrusion just wanted to pass on regards re Alex Johnson. Before the Giants came in I supported the Swans and he was my favourite player and I think the most underrated player.... except with Sydney fans who knew how good he was.

I saw Alex as a future Captain of the club and everything was tracking towards that before these knee issues. Along with Daniel Menzel and Anthony Morobito he is the unluckiest player in the comp but at least he can say he's a Premiership winner.

I hope he comes back because he is a real talent and deserves much better luck.

Cheers

Damn.

Sadly, I think he now goes into the most likely won't make it basket.

I feel that should be clarified to say 'won't make it back' basket. He certainly has made it as a AFL footballer, given his exploits of 2012 :)

Terrible news this morning, and I'm hopeful he will one day get back on the park for us - he will get an almighty roar when that happens, as Swans fans don't forget quickly.

Terrible news.

I had a friend with a very nasty golden staph knee infection. He had to go on intravenous antibiotics in hospital for (?) four weeks. It left him with significant loss of movement that he eventually overcame with yoga.

Alex may need to bite the bullet and go on the drip for weeks until the ______ infection is beaten. Good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shocking news, if he managed to make it back, his mental scars will be harder to overcome than the ones in his knees.

Cannot imagine what it is like for kids like Johnson, morabito, and menzel to virtually having 4 years of their career taken from them

I'm not sure if there are any medical people on this board but from what I understand having read a bit of info on the ACL operation - I had my right knee operatd on just twelve months ago so I was naturally curious - the reasons the infection has been so persistent are possibly:

- the joint in which the infection is located is occupied by fluid that has a very low level of immune defence (as I understand it all joints are that way), and/or

- because the ACL graft has been taken either from elsewhere in the body or, in the case of LARS, is synthetic it does not have natural blood supply with antibodies to fight an infection or foreign agent

Can anyone shed some more light on that?
It was a LARS so possibly it's just a case of the surgery or materia.

I think he needs to go back and have a full knee reco and unfortunately another year out of the game. But it will give him an opportunity to have a full pre-season training and he'll be fitter than ever.

Shocking news, if he managed to make it back, his mental scars will be harder to overcome than the ones in his knees.

Cannot imagine what it is like for kids like Johnson, morabito, and menzel to virtually having 4 years of their career taken from them
Terrible news for him however given the setbacks are about infections and not structural issues from what I gather, there may not be mental scars as you might expect with someone who has a knee that keeps rupturing....he sounds as positive as you could be given the situation. It will be a monumental effort though.....good luck to him

My question is why doesn't he get Lars done?

Mainly because if the whole graft is screwed it isn't available.

Really the Swans should aim for a 2016 return, which isn't too bad.

Would be 4 years out of the game.

Yes but you would rather get it done properly. It is terrible but he can come back. The worst thing is to make him come back with a terrible ACL job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back