Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHardeman

Team Captain
May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
So I just dont understand that we are here 15 months later discussing a navicular injury, why wasnt this properly dealt with then
Hard to tell. New coach, new staff at the club, an impatience to succeed. Many people would argue an administration and football department that lost control and did not take its responsibilities seriously.
2012-13 are the lost years. This is just one example. If players did not go backwards in form or get moved on despite having something to offer, then they played injured.
Not the pinnacle of MFC historically.

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
So I just dont understand that we are here 15 months later discussing a navicular injury, why wasnt this properly dealt with then

Re treatment of stress fractures:

"In special circumstances, such as in competitive athletes during their sport's season, patients may choose to modify their activity to a decreased level of intensity (tolerable without exacerbation), and delay complete rest until the season is finished.22 In these situations, athletes should be aware of the potential for prolonged recovery or the need for additional interventions, including surgery."

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2011/0101/p39.html#sec-3

Basically you can play if it doesn't hurt, but there is a risk of increased resolution time.

GHardeman

Team Captain
May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm aware of that. I didn't say he was likely to be fired. We can only hope we don't get any more stress/overuse type injuries.
Roos has stressed patience. He is prepared to wait for Hogan, Dawes, now Trengove. Neeld promised we would be the toughest defensive team overnight (and to be fair that was bathwater we all wanted to drink). Because he has been successful Roos has less to prove. This is a more responsible way of doing things.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Roos has stressed patience. He is prepared to wait for Hogan, Dawes, now Trengove. Neeld promised we would be the toughest defensive team overnight (and to be fair that was bathwater we all wanted to drink). Because he has been successful Roos has less to prove. This is a more responsible way of doing things.
Trengove just broke down and Dawes was 2-3 weeks from returning last week. I trust Roos but I don't trust the guy reporting to him.

GHardeman

Team Captain
May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Trengove just broke down and Dawes was 2-3 weeks from returning last week. I trust Roos but I don't trust the guy reporting to him.
It was more a general management observation. There is less pressure on Roos to transform the club overnight (and any pressure there might have been he hosed down pretty quickly, forget about the score, we need to aim for a better percentage etc).
That has got to make the whole job easier and he can constantly say for 2014 that we need to be patient. This allows him to play fit players where it is clear Neeld felt pressure to play his best list even if they were not physically up to it. I can't believe that Misson ignored Trengove's injury, it is more that they made a judgment that 90% was OK and that was due to pressure from the club to succeed.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think we all knew something physical had been wrong with Trengove for some time, I thought it was OP, thankfully the problem has finally come to light. Let's hope he can get back to his best, would be like getting a quality new recruit.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
It was more a general management observation. There is less pressure on Roos to transform the club overnight (and any pressure there might have been he hosed down pretty quickly, forget about the score, we need to aim for a better percentage etc).
That has got to make the whole job easier and he can constantly say for 2014 that we need to be patient. This allows him to play fit players where it is clear Neeld felt pressure to play his best list even if they were not physically up to it. I can't believe that Misson ignored Trengove's injury, it is more that they made a judgment that 90% was OK and that was due to pressure from the club to succeed.
This is the third season now Trengove has moved like an old man, it's like a carbon copy of what happened to Luke Ball until he left the Saints.

GHardeman

Team Captain
May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is the third season now Trengove has moved like an old man, it's like a carbon copy of what happened to Luke Ball until he left the Saints.
So you suspect an injury and OP (not original post), and a player who needs to be managed appropriately?

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
So you suspect an injury and OP (not original post), and a player who needs to be managed appropriately?
I've been on edge about Misson since I listened to an interview Daff did a couple of years ago. Things don't tend to go well when the sports science gurus put themselves above doctors. Trengove has played like a guy with OP whether he has that on top of the foot injury or it's just the foot I can only guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Roos and PJ think there's a need to dismiss Misson, they will. If not, they won't. Given that I know nothing about sports science I'm willing to trust their judgment on his performance. Honestly it sounds as though a lot of the injuries our players have had have been out of his control regarding fitness and conditioning. Failing to identify Trengove's injury does sound like a major oversight but there's every chance it's only been a very slight stress reaction in his foot all this time that was effecting his lower body and the rest of his system but couldn't actually be sourced to his foot from an overall scan, and it was only when it broke and started causing him trouble directly that they were able to locate the trouble.

Or something like that. I ain't a doctor.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If Roos and PJ think there's a need to dismiss Misson, they will. If not, they won't. Given that I know nothing about sports science I'm willing to trust their judgment on his performance. Honestly it sounds as though a lot of the injuries our players have had have been out of his control regarding fitness and conditioning. Failing to identify Trengove's injury does sound like a major oversight but there's every chance it's only been a very slight stress reaction in his foot all this time that was effecting his lower body and the rest of his system but couldn't actually be sourced to his foot from an overall scan, and it was only when it broke and started causing him trouble directly that they were able to locate the trouble.

Or something like that. I ain't a doctor.

My main concern is we are talking about an elite environment, this isnt make an appointment to see the doc every 2 months sorta thing
This is everyday being able to see a doctor an going 'i dont feel right'
It just blows my mind that with all the research, and medical advancements that the most well looked after athletes potentially in australia can go 15 months undiagnosed

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
I doubt the dees have a gamma camera down at the club. Also it's not ideal to be going in for whole body bone scans and SPECT/CT every week (see radiation dose).

The fracture may have been sub clinical. They may have only noticed it last year but decided to risk it.

I don't know what went on with Trengove. All I'm saying is there are a multitude of valid reasons to why it has played out like this. Diagnosis of these things is not clear cut/ night and day like some of you guys seem to think.

I know we have been shocking off field over the years, but just because something "bad" happens doesn't mean it is due to incompetence.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I doubt the dees have a gamma camera down at the club. Also it's not ideal to be going in for whole body bone scans and SPECT/CT every week (see radiation dose).

The fracture may have been sub clinical. They may have only noticed it last year but decided to risk it.

I don't know what went on with Trengove. All I'm saying is there are a multitude of valid reasons to why it has played out like this. Diagnosis of these things is not clear cut/ night and day like some of you guys seem to think.

I know we have been shocking off field over the years, but just because something "bad" happens doesn't mean it is due to incompetence.

These are all valid points, particularly your first point. Though every man and his dog could see Trengove was playing with some kind of physical restriction, that's why I think we're just a bit frustrated with how it's played out. I think you could be right that they knew something wasn't quite right but took a risk, which may have be a fair assessment at the time.

A chance to reinvigorate physically and mentally is just what the doctor ordered.

Let him go over to the CG to see his sister and then when he gets back get him in the coaches box to absorb everything first hand and build the competitive juices back up for pre-season.

A chance to reinvigorate physically and mentally is just what the doctor ordered.

Let him go over to the CG to see his sister and then when he gets back get him in the coaches box to absorb everything first hand and build the competitive juices back up for pre-season.

Very good idea. He's so well spoken that I can definitely see him being in a coaching role one day.

WinmarToLockett

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It is absolutely incredible to think that in a professional sporting environment a young player obviously affected by injury is consistently named to play for his side... for over a year.

It's not like Melbourne were competing for finals in that time either.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Didnt Misson work under Roos when Sydney were firing? And wasnt he at the Saints under Lyon when they were up and about?

Granted, we've had an average run with injuries, but the current injury list is pretty short really.
Must be awesome because he worked at successful clubs?

Oct 5, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtics
I have been highly critical of Trenners for the last few seasons, simply due to his output. This foot injury may explain why.

He needs to do what is necessary to come back in 2015 and return to that early form he had after being drafted. Whatever it takes Trenners, but be ready, we need you fit and firing in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back