Injury 2014 general injury updates - for specific injuries, refer to specific injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Kudos. Very few admit it when they get it wrong. I was more posting this to show how much he has improved and become pivotal to our team then to brag.

Judging by the roar he received when he starting running again with the main group, per Snelling, there a re plenty in the group that agree with you..

Go Catters

Judging by the roar he received when he starting running again with the main group, per Snelling, there a re plenty in the group that agree with you..

Go Catters
He was bordering on become a competition superstar before injury slowed him late in the year. Only injuries and lack of motivation will stop him from achieving this.

Lets not forget Seeds didn't rate Duncan.
Got that right too.

Not.

I rated Duncan. Just said last year he wasn't in our top 10 players last year and he wasn't. Put him in my dream team this year though and starting to reap the dividend.
Looked at the B&F results?

Guessed not.
And you were laughing at people who rated him.

Looked at the B&F results?

Guessed not.
And you were laughing at people who rated him.
B and f results are biased heavily towards those who play every game. G Ablett only won one is proof enough.

Selwood, Johnson, Enright, Motlop, Taylor, Christensen, Mackie were all ahead of Duncan last year. Hawkins, Chapman and possibly McIntosh would of been if they hadn't been injured and I don't think it would be silly to think Bartel would of been better at the beginning of last season as well. I did punt on Caddy and named him ahead of Duncan and this was wrong. Although I may only end up being a year off on that one.

I was questioning those who put him in their top 3. Which was ridiculous. One poster thought he was going to be our best player last yeAr.

However they decide to get Motlop fit is fine by me but surely he will not be match fit - so he needs to play maybe a VFL game first - like a half and then become a super sub for 2-3 games until he gets some touch back.

Now for Bundy. I like the idea with Selwood, SJ and Caddy being the main mids - to allow Bundy to be more forward and then have a run thru the midfield when required. To have a forward line with Mots and Bundy crumbing and providing forward pressure would be great. Both would kick a fair few goals and Hawkins - even if double teamed would bring the ball to ground and allow these two to go to work. Both smart players and can use the footy.

FF line Bundy Hawkins Murdoch

CHF line Bartel Brown/Walker Motlop

Just swap Stokesy down forward when Bundy goes on the ball.

So we have some tall players that can mark or bring the ball to ground - we have some tallish players that can mark and then we have the crumbers and the leg speed to tackle and harass.

Pity about Vardy as obviously GFC see a future CHF in him. But we will still be ok if these players perform well and Murdoch can slowly get better and more consistent in games. Bartel may even be replaced by Kersten at some point (in the forward line).

Anyone know yet when Kersten is back ?

Selwood, Johnson, Enright, Motlop, Taylor, Christensen, Mackie were all ahead of Duncan last year. Hawkins, Chapman and possibly McIntosh would of been if they hadn't been injured and I don't think it would be silly to think Bartel would of been better at the beginning of last season as well. I did punt on Caddy and named him ahead of Duncan and this was wrong. Although I may only end up being a year off on that one.

Don't think you will be. Duncan has Caddy covered easily.

B and f results are biased heavily towards those who play every game. G Ablett only won one is proof enough.

I was questioning those who put him in their top 3. Which was ridiculous. One poster thought he was going to be our best player last yeAr.
Are they? Think you might like to check whether that is accurate.

Would you like to put your order in for a 'sigh' button, too, Pivotonian?
If I ever get to that stage I'll just take a leave of absence. ;)

Being on the park is important of course but I also suspect B&F results reflect

1. The performance of a player and their influence on a game
2. How well a player has fulfilled a role he has been given.

A player may get votes even when punters like us don't rate their game because they have done a job they were assigned and done it well. They may even in the opinion of the MC/voting panel have influenced the game somewhat by simply sacrificing their own output.

I remember a game at KP when Stoneham was at the height of his powers. Lined up at CHB. His opponent (can't remember who or even what team) continually lead hard and wide drawing Stoneham away from the action. This was allowed to go on for half a game until Geelong made changes. The player who would have had to have been a reasonable threat, must have been working to instructions and successfully negated the best defender in the league. The forward could have got votes on the back of a small number of involvements.

While I am rabbiting on ------today of course, the concentration on a specific match up is less but some players are still asked to sacrifice their possession game. At times I think some younger players in our forward line must have been given similar instructions and hence sacrificed their game somewhat to concentrate on blocking/tackling/leading away from the action. Hence I am loathe to write them off on possession stats alone.

While I am rabbiting on ------today of course, the concentration on a specific match up is less but some players are still asked to sacrifice their possession game. At times I think some younger players in our forward line must have been given similar instructions and hence sacrificed their game somewhat to concentrate on blocking/tackling/leading away from the action. Hence I am loathe to write them off on possession stats alone.

I was speaking to a guy at work, who's son played for an interstate team last year. Said pretty much what you have there almost word for word.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Caddy has started off very slow. Has a bit of catching up to do. But he can break lines in a way that Duncan can't. If he gets going like he was in the preseason then he will steamroll past Duncan. It's a matter of if though.

Fair enough. I disagree entirely. He might have more strength, but his decision making and ball use, not to mention consistency is nowhere near Duncan's right now.

Being on the park is important of course but I also suspect B&F results reflect

1. The performance of a player and their influence on a game
2. How well a player has fulfilled a role he has been given.

A player may get votes even when punters like us don't rate their game because they have done a job they were assigned and done it well. They may even in the opinion of the MC/voting panel have influenced the game somewhat by simply sacrificing their own output.

I remember a game at KP when Stoneham was at the height of his powers. Lined up at CHB. His opponent (can't remember who or even what team) continually lead hard and wide drawing Stoneham away from the action. This was allowed to go on for half a game until Geelong made changes. The player who would have had to have been a reasonable threat, must have been working to instructions and successfully negated the best defender in the league. The forward could have got votes on the back of a small number of involvements.

Of course 1 and 2 are important. I said number of games played biases the result not that it is the sole determinant. Ablett averaged nearly 8 goals a game in 1993 and kicked 120 goals in what was one of the greatest individual seasons ever seen in 100 years and still did not win because he missed Half a dozen games.

Yeah I'm a busy person. Just tell me why you think I'm wrong rather than make me guess.
They don't use the 4 worst results.
So that means if you miss 4 games, it doesn't really affect you.

His ball use is not as good. I agree there. It's not just strength though that helps him break lines. His footwork and poise in traffic is elite.

Settle. He still runs into trouble far too much for it to be "elite". Toovey's goal on Saturday for example. "Elite" gets thrown around far too much.

His ball use is not as good. I agree there. It's not just strength though that helps him break lines. His footwork and poise in traffic is elite.

At times absolutely. At other times his confidence is far too much for the situation. I didn't see elite poise when he tried to dodge a tackle he didn't need to and handed a goal to Toovey. That's the major flaw in his game right now.

They don't use the 4 worst results.
So that means if you miss 4 games, it doesn't really affect you.
That's fine and helps a little bit but players who play all games get there worst four eliminated and players who miss four games get their worst four included which still is a big bias against them when you consider how the votes are distributed.

At times absolutely. At other times his confidence is far too much for the situation. I didn't see elite poise when he tried to dodge a tackle he didn't need to and handed a goal to Toovey. That's the major flaw in his game right now.
I should rephrase. His talent in this area is elite, particularly considering his size. His implementation and confidence to use it rather than just bash and crash needs more work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back