Injury 2014 general injury updates - for specific injuries, refer to specific injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

might have been dropped because of the match-ups West Coast pose. He wouldn't necessarily be asked to play VFL if that was the case as he's best 22 given he's played all the praccie and senior games. Strangely enough, he'd actually suit Hawthorn's back-line because they have the likes of Litherland, Birchall, Smith, blokes who prefer to get on their bike as opposed to wrestling or backing themselves in the air and Brown could run one of them high up onto the wings right throughout the game.
Brown is out injured (ankle)...The only elaborate conspiracy is a figment of anti Brown twilight zoners on this board.

Brown is out injured (ankle)...The only elaborate conspiracy is a figment of anti Brown twilight zoners on this board.

dont be so sure... some in-depth research turned up this interesting little picture:

groom1960s.jpg

that is an aerial view of area 51.

if you look closely, you can see a proto-type US weapon in the top left hand corner... it looks suspiciously like mitch brown, with two perfectly healthy ankles most likely buried deep in the desert sand.

that image was taken in 1965 — 25 f***ing years before mitch brown was born!

just what is going on down at KP?

i think mitch is an alien potato which scott is desperately trying to keep out of his team. any excuse will do for these secretive bastards!

Looked at the B&F results?

Guessed not.
And you were laughing at people who rated him.
I didn't rate Duncan, but it wasn't on talent. I was critical of his defensive approach and respect towards his opponent. Boy am I wrong now though. His work rate is exceptional thus far this season and his accountability has improved dramatically. He now has the talent, desire, work ethic and defensive capabilities. A big future awaits.

Well I am not an "anti-Brown twilight zoner" as you so eloquently put it. I simply put it out there as a conspiracy theory, to take the pressure and focus off Brown and so Scott doesn't have to answer the weekly questions about Brown. Highly improbable but I am quite certain that it would've happened before in AFL football.

The big question is how many of that group are even going to be there in 2-3 years' time. I'd say Simpson and Varcoe for sure, but it's really hard to tell on everyone else. Or how some of them will overcome various injuries they've had (and have).
"Varcoe for sure", i have nothing against trav BUT gee thats a big stetment, what inside knowledge (or facts) do you have to substantiate this? Or is this just a statement of support by you ,hoping trav stays on the list for years to come?.
End of the day he was put up for trade last year, this year he is averaging a couple more possies and tackles than 2013 the year that the MC tried to get rid of him, why in your opinion is he so safe to stay on the list, my opinion with the oppurtunities he gets, more is required to be "safe" for years to come. He has got some skills but at some point he has to boost his output consistetly to remain in the side and therefore on the list!, 14 possies per game, not enough theses days for someone in their prime age.

I fear for Cowan. He absence is really hurting his chances of staying on the list at the end of the season.

He needs to get right by the half way mark of the season and play some good VFL footy and get a few decent senior games in before round 22 IMO.

Just struggle sometime with all the injuries we seem to get. Really has held back players like Cowan, Kersten, Menzel, Vardy, Brown, McCarthy, Simpson, Varcoe and to a lesser extent Bews and Thurlow. Imagine if some of these players had say had an extra 40 senior games behind then right now ! GFC would be stronger and know more re who stays on the list and who gets delisted. That is the reality of modern football. Some of these guys would be playing good footy and getting better - others maybe gone and new ND picks taking their places. The list could look different - and so could the best 22.

2015 could be quite good for us if we just did not have so many bloody long term injuries. More and more this is becoming one of the biggest determining factors for a team's success.
I don't think this is such a bad thing. Well actually obviously it is with Menzel, Vardy and knee injuries etc. But when you think about it a lot of these players where picked before the draft was compromised and we have been up near the top of the ladder since then. If some of these players can get right it's like we've ended up with new players that are about 30 to 40 picks better than we could of got in the past few years and they already have had the Geelong way drilled in to them and will be more mature than an 18 year old coming. Now the draft is back to normal I think we are in a really good position and are really fortunate that we weren't on the the bottom when the expansion teams came in.

Well I am not an "anti-Brown twilight zoner" as you so eloquently put it. I simply put it out there as a conspiracy theory, to take the pressure and focus off Brown and so Scott doesn't have to answer the weekly questions about Brown. Highly improbable but I am quite certain that it would've happened before in AFL football.

Agreed, but even in his brief career Brown has been dropped a few times already - 3 times last year for starters. I don't think there would be any reason why Scott wouldn't call it like that. Not to mention the other major bit of evidence - if he was dropped he'd be playing VFL tomorrow. He isn't.

"Varcoe for sure", i have nothing against trav BUT gee thats a big stetment, what inside knowledge (or facts) do you have to substantiate this? Or is this just a statement of support by you ,hoping trav stays on the list for years to come?.
End of the day he was put up for trade last year, this year he is averaging a couple more possies and tackles than 2013 the year that the MC tried to get rid of him, why in your opinion is he so safe to stay on the list, my opinion with the oppurtunities he gets, more is required to be "safe" for years to come. He has got some skills but at some point he has to boost his output consistetly to remain in the side and therefore on the list!, 14 possies per game, not enough theses days for someone in their prime age.
Is that you Meto? On second thought even Meto has mellowed on his his view in Varcoe this year.

Varcoe will never be a high possession player. His role is to link, break the lines , chase and harass.
He's been good this year so far, people need to understand his role not just look at the stats!

Is that you Meto? On second thought even Meto has mellowed on his his view in Varcoe this year.

Varcoe will never be a high possession player. His role is to link, break the lines , chase and harass.
He's been good this year so far, people need to understand his role not just look at the stats!
The post was questioning the statement that varcoe was a sure thing to stay on our list, when he has recently been put on the trade table. I don't think he is sure thing as i feel unless he improves others may go past him.

By the way most other players who arn"t high possession players don"t seem to get t.he chances trav does, a lot of non high possession players get rotated in and out of sides, unless they are very special. Time will tell.

Agreed, but even in his brief career Brown has been dropped a few times already - 3 times last year for starters. I don't think there would be any reason why Scott wouldn't call it like that. Not to mention the other major bit of evidence - if he was dropped he'd be playing VFL tomorrow. He isn't.
Well if he isn't playing VFL then clearly he is injured but I still don't think people should be ridiculed and pigeon-holed for daring to suggest it was a smokescreen. But I guess that's what it's come to on here these days.

dont be so sure... some in-depth research turned up this interesting little picture:

groom1960s.jpg

that is an aerial view of area 51.

if you look closely, you can see a proto-type US weapon in the top left hand corner... it looks suspiciously like mitch brown, with two perfectly healthy ankles most likely buried deep in the desert sand.

that image was taken in 1965 — 25 f***ing years before mitch brown was born!

just what is going on down at KP?

i think mitch is an alien potato which scott is desperately trying to keep out of his team. any excuse will do for these secretive bastards!
Every time I see that pic of Brown's head in your post, Barmy, it reminds me of "Where's Wally?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam Mcnicol tweeted that Mackie hasn't trained and the Billie smedts has had a broken bone in he's leg that he got from the north practice match

edit : training now qtr speed no limp

Last edited:
Mackie must be very unlikely. Replacement will either by Thurlow or Sheringham. Sheringham may be better suited for the defensive job on Hill or Bruest.

I think they'll go with the more defensive choice over the more talented rebounder based on recent decisions.

Not sounding too good regarding Mackie. Suppose it's only Tuesday, but I'd go for Sheringham as a replacement too-may be better suited to doing a shut down defensive role.

Adam Mcnicol tweeted that Mackie hasn't trained and the Billie smedts has had a broken bone in he's leg that he got from the north practice match

edit : training now qtr speed no limp
That's a pretty big jump from "bone bruising" to "broken bone"- perhaps he damaged the outer surface of the bone and isn't like a fracture, which would take longer to heal, I'd think.

With regards to Mackie, there is no way he would be training this early, whether it was bad or not. They would give him until at least Thursday u would think before they tested him properly.

With regards to Mackie, there is no way he would be training this early, whether it was bad or not. They would give him until at least Thursday u would think before they tested him properly.

Have not heard other than minor twinge / corky. Not a rush to get on the track given the longer break between games and not like he's gonna lose fitness by not having a run on the track. Will have till sunday would be my guess but expect the emergencies to not play the VFL game in case.

Go Catters

Brown has been playing with a sore ankle for a number of weeks. . . . I'm not usually critical of the Cats hierarchy but I'm not sure why they would do such a thing. Unless he was never going to do any further damage to the ankle, he wouldn't be able to play his best football which would have made him a liability in any case.
He may not have told the medical staff about the pain either so I guess that's always a possibility but I hope we can try and manage player injuries a tad better given it's so early in the season as well.

Who knows. It's frustrating to say the least after last year with Hawkins and Varcoe. It does dovetail rather nicely with his reduced output in the Brisbane and Collingwood game. Again, the only thing I can think of is certain jobs he had to do, and Scott trusted him to do it even with the ankle not quite right. Be good to see him out there 100% again though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back