2014 - is this the year Geelong finally falls?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geelong won't bottom out for a while. They'll be around the mark, but they won't threaten come finals as their kpp forwards aren't very good.

Selwood, Johnson and Taylor are probably 3 of the best 15 players in the competition, but their forward line will be rubbish in finals unless they play Taylor forward.

Too many quality players, it just won't happen until the likes of Johnson, Bartel and co retire - but their list management and development especially is second-to-none. They will have their younger players ready to step up.

Should we reload this thread for next year when Bartel, Kelly and Enright are a year older and certain to decline thus sending the Cats into a massive tail spin.

Either that or we can scrap the theory that clubs bottom out and then rejuvenate themselves via the draft to come roaring back up the ladder.

People have been saying that since Ablett, Scarlett, Ling, J. Corey, Ottens, Chapman etc.. left.

It won't be too long before they start adding Duncan, Christensen etc.. to that list.

Should we reload this thread for next year when Bartel, Kelly and Enright are a year older and certain to decline thus sending the Cats into a massive tail spin.

Either that or we can scrap the theory that clubs bottom out and then rejuvenate themselves via the draft to come roaring back up the ladder.

Yes you can scrap the theory that clubs bottom out and then rejuvenate themselves via the draft. We've turned over half of our team in the last 4 years without bottoming out..

These are the players that were in the grand finals of 2009 nd 2011 which have moved on.
Darren Milburn
Matthew Scarlett
Tom Harley
Joel Corey
Cameron Ling
Cameron Mooney
Paul Chapman
Mark Blake
Gary Ablett
Brad Ottens
Shannon Byrnes
Max Rooke
David Wojcinski
Coach: Mark Thompson

Josh Hunt
Matthew Scarlett
David Wojcinski
Trent West
James Podsiadly
Paul Chapman
Brad Ottens
Cameron Ling
Joel Corey

I'm sure that when we loose Bartel, Kelly and Enright we will have another 3 ready to step up and we'll still be competitive.

We were talking Round 1 ages. Hawthorn's team on the weekend was 25 years of age, which is less than 26.

that's true but when you look at which team is better placed going forward, it's clear which one has been thinking long-term...

0002.jpg

that's true but when you look at which team is better placed going forward, it's clear which one has been thinking long-term...

0002.jpg

Geelong's average list age would've looked like that recently, and if anything Hawthorn have shown they are just as adept so far at topping up their stocks without losing ladder position.

All conjecture at this point for Hawthorn in my opinion. Time will tell

Time will also tell whether the players Geelong has coming through will live up to what those before them have accomplished.

We've done very well to keep our list and performances strong but to look into the glass ball and predict that we will have players the calibre of Bartel, Johnson, Kelly, and Enright is very premature.

Reckon they will be like Sydney have been since 1996, at worst bottom end of the top eight for some time. Could even say after the recent mayhem that has happened at our club, Geelong are the new Sydney.

Can't see them not getting into the top four this year, especially with us spudding it up this season.

0002.jpg

HP is only good at fixing numbers. Bars graphs and colors will scare him.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair we have gone at each other over the years, its hard to keep up. Perhaps we are sitting back and enjoying the footy, cats have three flags, hawks have two, maybe added to. You cant be greedy

I suspect the realisation of two other factors in September last year might have mitigated it too:

1. Fremantle's appalling alternative to football as only Lyon can coach.
2. Essendon's systematic and endemic CHEATING.

Whatever Geelong and Hawthorn fans think of each other, and it certainly isn't pleasant, both sides play a game style that is great to watch, and neither are open and outright cheats.

I suspect the realisation of two other factors in September last year might have mitigated it too:

Whatever Geelong and Hawthorn fans think of each other, and it certainly isn't pleasant, both sides play a game style that is great to watch, and neither are open and outright cheats.

To be fair Partride the hawks did tank to land roughy and franklin in '04. I can't speak for anybody else but I find it very hard to respect that when clubs stoop that low to land high 1st round draft picks. Collingwood did the same thing the next year too to get their hands on daisy and pendlebury. :oops: You could strongly argue that both players went a long way in helping their respective sides win in '08 and '10.

Geelong has never resorted to such transparent undignified shameless manipulation of the draft and that for that I'm proud.

To be fair Partride the hawks did tank to land roughy and franklin in '04. I can't speak for anybody else but I find it very hard to respect that when clubs stoop that low to land high 1st round draft picks. Collingwood did the same thing the next year too to get their hands on daisy and pendlebury. :oops: You could strongly argue that both players went a long way in helping those respective side win in '08 and '10.

Geelong has never resorted to such transparent undignified shameless manipulation of the draft and that for that I'm proud.

That's very nice, but ultimately it doesn't matter. Clubs are in business to win premierships, and whatever rules are in place - like the priority picks - are going to be exploited. You don't get any extra merit badges for how you win, as long as you do win.

They can resort to as much undignified and shameless manipulation as they like. No one in 20 years will care how they won a particular premiership - no one has taken Carlton's 1995 flag off them.

To be fair Partride the hawks did tank to land roughy and franklin in '04. I can't speak for anybody else but I find it very hard to respect that when clubs stoop that low to land high 1st round draft picks. Collingwood did the same thing the next year too to get their hands on daisy and pendlebury. :oops: You could strongly argue that both players went a long way in helping their respective sides win in '08 and '10.

Explain 2006 then.

It is inevitable that when the good players go Geelong will decline as predicted, despite what Geelong fans say.

When players like Duncan, Christensen, Motlop, Guthrie, Caddy, Selwood, Hawkins etc hit 31-32 we will begin to decline as expected.

That's very nice, but ultimately it doesn't matter. Clubs are in business to win premierships, and whatever rules are in place - like the priority picks - are going to be exploited. You don't get any extra merit badges for how you win, as long as you do win.

They can resort to as much undignified and shameless manipulation as they like. No one in 20 years will care how they won a particular premiership - no one has taken Carlton's 1995 flag off them.

Then what's your issue with the dons and freo? Especially freo since 'gamestyle' it is pretty innocuous in comparison to the what the hfc and pies did. Freo's game is 'ugly' but I'd take that over draft tampering.

Explain 2006 then.
Hfc had picks 2, 5 and 7 of the 2004 draft.
Hfc had picks 3 and 6 of the 2005 draft.

C'wood had picks 2 and 5 of the 2005 draft

Geelong had picks 7 and 25 of the 2006 draft.

I'm sorry but I don't see what you're getting at.

Thant what's your issue with the dons and freo? Especially freo since 'gamestyle' it is pretty innocuous in comparison to the what the hfc and pies did. Freo's game is 'ugly' but I'd take that over draft tampering.

Pretty sure that Essendon's use of drugs is beyond anyone's comprehension of using the rules that are in place. Fremantle absolutely are playing by the rules - and absolutely while it works their fans will love it - but I don't have to. And I hate watching that style of footy. So I choose not to watch it.

Then what's your issue with the dons and freo? Especially freo since 'gamestyle' it is pretty innocuous in comparison to the what the hfc and pies did. Freo's game is 'ugly' but I'd take that over draft tampering.

Hfc had picks 2, 5 and 7 of the 2004 draft.
Hfc had picks 3 and 6 of the 2005 draft.

C'wood had picks 2 and 5 of the 2005 draft

Geelong had picks 7 and 25 of the 2006 draft.

I'm sorry but I don't see what you're getting at.

I would trade pick 2, 5, 7 or 6 or whatever for 1x Joel Selwood.

Tanking or just a poor team. At the end of 2004 hawks played tigers and while the tigs started well, hawks dug in and beat them, despite not being quite as good on paper. If they were tanking why not go the whole hog and come last ?

Also traded for pick 7, and for pick1 in 2001 when finishing fourth

Personally I love Geelong. Brilliantly run club and have deserved all of their success.

The rivalry has been a media beat-up this whole time, it's not entrenched in our roots but a rivalry of circumstance as both sides have been strong over a long period (Geelong especially).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back